Comparison Photos - Less than 3 months of swimming

Options
2»

Replies

• Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Talk about inspiration. Great work it is really noticeable In your face.
  • kallibrae
    kallibrae Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Awesome :)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Awesome you'll be getting your new knees in no time:).
  • karenh3585
    karenh3585 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration! I'm so happy for you and hope you continue to post your progress.
  • Allyoopadoop
    Allyoopadoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration! I have had partial knee replacements (I'm in my early 40's) and am working on losing a lot of weight to try and improve my arthritis (and everything else!) Do you swim laps? Was it hard? Did you use a kickboard or anything?

I teach at a University and have access to a pool (cold), even colder in the long winter - - but I am interested in trying swimming for fitness.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration! I have had partial knee replacements (I'm in my early 40's) and am working on losing a lot of weight to try and improve my arthritis (and everything else!) Do you swim laps? Was it hard? Did you use a kickboard or anything?

I teach at a University and have access to a pool (cold), even colder in the long winter - - but I am interested in trying swimming for fitness.

I swim LAPS for an hour EVERY DAY. I do breast stroke with a frog kick for one length of the pool. Then, I do a modified back stroke with a flutter kick for the return lap. This is the only exercise that my doctor and my surgeon will allow me out of my chair, until I have my new knees. The rule is swimming only and no weight on my knees.

I have osteoarthritis in both of my knees, no cushion or cartilage left and multiple small fracture in the long bone heads. So, I am a high risk for a long bone fracture through the length of the bone at this time. That's how I ended up in a wheelchair for the past year.

I will be having full knee replacements in both knees...the titanium and plastic knees. The right knee will be replaced first...sometime in the coming month. Then, my surgeon will do the left knee, following my rehab and recovery from the first surgery. He can't do both of them at once, because I would not be able to walk on cruthes with my bad shoulders and weak hands. I have to have one stable knee first.

Our pool closes in mid-October, but I am thinking about signing up for a membership with the local 24 Hour Fitness. They have an indoor pool that is open all day.