Protein on a budget?

Options
Now that the very high carb and dairy meals are gone, I find I'm having trouble with that at least "satisfied" feeling after some meals. I know a great way to feel full is protein...

Meat and Nuts tend to be higher ticket items in the grocery cart and I don't have a budget that accommodates eating meat or nuts 1-2 times a day. I do eat a lot of eggs and Oatmeal for breakfast, but I'd like a little variety. I also tend to stick to boneless chicken or fish for my meat intake. I don't like red meat and if I see a bone I can't eat it.... :/

What about protein powders/supplements?

Replies

• MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I can't comment on supplements or powders, but you could try increasing the amount of legumes that you eat. Legumes have a fairly high protein content (like nuts) and are low in fat. They're also high in fibre. Sprouted beans (not bean sprouts but the actually bean just after sprouting starts) are a great addition to salads and lentil curries are super easy to make.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Lentils! I just posted a super cheap, filling, flavourful recipe for curried lentil soup in the recipe section. You should try it! It's fat-free, too :D

OH and chili!! Lots of kidney beans and other legumes + some lean ground meat and some bulgar. Great substitute and a complex carb that will keep you feeling full. I always halve the meat portion I am supposed to use and supplement it with soaked bulgar. Try it out and you wont be disappointed :happy:
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Now that the very high carb and dairy meals are gone, I find I'm having trouble with that at least "satisfied" feeling after some meals. I know a great way to feel full is protein...

Meat and Nuts tend to be higher ticket items in the grocery cart and I don't have a budget that accommodates eating meat or nuts 1-2 times a day. I do eat a lot of eggs and Oatmeal for breakfast, but I'd like a little variety. I also tend to stick to boneless chicken or fish for my meat intake. I don't like red meat and if I see a bone I can't eat it.... :/

What about protein powders/supplements?

Protein powder is your best bang for your buck but I also drink alot of egg whites in the carton. 4 bucks for 3 cups which is roughly 150 grams which I go through one in a day. Beans have protein but you want the best amount per serving size. For you to take in 30 grams of protein in a sitting you would have to eat 3-4 cups of beans or nuts.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Protein powder gives you 26-30 scoops of 24-30g protein, for about 20 bucks at a big box retail store. That's pretty cheap if you ask me, considering protein powder should be treated as a food, and not a supplement.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Im really into protein shakes lately, if you google protein shake recipes, there are a ton, and some of them are really good! Just watch the calories because some of them are really high in calories and fat, for body builders. I usually just use half a scoop. A huge canister is about 20-30 bucks, and you get a lot of shakes out of that. Mine usually last a yr.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    oh! and you can add protein powder to pancakes, muffins, pretty much anything baked
  • jennybunny
    Options
    Cottage cheese: It's about 15 grams in half a cup and you can buy fat-free varieties.

Also, it is pumpkin and squash season. Those seeds are edible, yummy, high in protein, and come free with the vegetable, which is also full of good nutrition. Clean out your pumpkin or squash, Clean the seeds from squash-bits by running under water in a colander. Spread them out on a cookie sheet in the oven and season with salt and whatever else you please. Roast at 275F for 10-20 minutes.
  • maogdamian
    maogdamian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great recommendations!:smile:
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Tofu?

When I lived in Canada, I tried Tofu a few times......... >> HATED IT << :sick:

Now that I live in Japan, I eat tofu all the time, we have all kinds of tofu, I like the stuff that is a bit thicker, firm, not so mushy. I put some ground up ginger on top and some good Japanese Shoyu (Soy Sauce... NOT China Lily). and eat it like that, love it and it is really healthy too!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Tofu?

When I lived in Canada, I tried Tofu a few times......... >> HATED IT << :sick:

Now that I live in Japan, I eat tofu all the time, we have all kinds of tofu, I like the stuff that is a bit thicker, firm, not so mushy. I put some ground up ginger on top and some good Japanese Shoyu (Soy Sauce... NOT China Lily). and eat it like that, love it and it is really healthy too!

There are loads of markets/grocers in Canada that cater to asian communities and sell a variety of tofu (soft, firm, extra firm, fried, etc) for all kinds of cooking. I do a majority of my shopping at asian markets and find that they are usually more economical than big box stores. Tofu is a great option - I love it and eat it as often as I can manage!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    dried beans are the way to go! Here's a great new take on chili that my husband and I love! I think it cost me $11 last time I made it and it made six servings. We ate two and i portioned out the rest and stuck it in the freezer. Just throw it in the fridge the night before you want to eat it and it's ready to go!

15 bean soup

one bag dried 15 bean soup (or 21 bean soup, whatever you can find)
    one large onion diced
    one can fire roasted tomatoes
    1 bay leaf
    one smoked turkey leg (they come in packs of 2 so i froze the second one for my next batch)
    2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. chili powder

Soak the beans in a good amount of water overnight.

Placed everything in the crock pot and top it with 3 quarts of water.

cook for 6-8 hours. whatever you have time for. Pull the turkey leg out and let cool til you can handle it. Shred the meat and add back to the beans. Serve and enjoy!
  • adavison
    Options
    Flaxseed is another easy source of protein. Be sure to use the ground or grind the whole seeds before you use them because whole seeds aren't easily broken down in your system...they'll pass through before they are broken up. Throw a tablespoon on your oatmeal cereal. That contains about 37.4 cal, 2g carb, 3g fat - but this is good fat containing 1597mg omega-3 and 414mg omega-6, 1.3g protein, plus serveral vitamins and minerals (includes 2.1mg sodium and 17.9 calcium).
  • adavison
    Options
    For tofu try making a healthy shake. I can't eat tofu anymore because I can't have soy due to health reasons, but I used to make this shake all the time. I'm trying to remember the recipe correctly because it's been years since I've made it....I'm just not sure about the juice or milk so you might experiment, but I think it was milk I used. Also, experiement with the fruit. I found I liked bananas and strawberries best.

2-3 ice cubes
    ground wheat germ
    tofu
    banana
    strawberries
    milk or orange juice

Put ice cubes in a blender then add the banana, broken up, add a few strawberries, a tablespoon or two of wheat germ, 1/4 of the block of tofu and then some milk or juice just enough to make a loose shake texture. Then blend all. You can adjust the ingredients as it makes sense for your taste.
  • tater8589
    Options
    Protien shakes would be the best, more protien without as much of the other stuff you don't want. It can be pricy but it will last longer than the food that goes bad. Good luck.

My personal fave is BSN vanilla, add 1 scoop to milk and some fresh or frozen fruit in the blender... Yummy!! also if you just shake it up with water or milk alone, its really smooth and doens't have that 'protien taste' that many people dislike. This brand also makes a mocha, cookies and cream, and various other flavors that are all good. (its a little more expensive than other brands, but to me its worth it)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Lentils and Beans, super cheap and packed with good stuff and if you have a whole foods or sprouts near you they have the bulk bins and recipes for the bulk beans and lentils which are usually pretty tasty. Here's one I'm loving right now, I use these beans for the meal in the recipe, burritos, tostadas, just the beans ( I use canned beans on occassion and I only add enough water to keep the beans from burning in that case)

Brown Rice and Black Beans

A pairing for the ages -- and a beautifully balanced source of protein -- rice and black beans crackle with flavor, thanks to jalapeno, onions, and garlic. In this version, hearty long-grain brown rice stands in for the traditional white variety, offering an extra measure of substance.

Ingredients
    Serves 6.

FOR THE BEANS
    8 cups water, plus more if needed
    1 bag (1 pound) dried black beans, picked over, rinsed, and drained
    1 jalapeno chile, halved and seeded
    2 medium onions, quartered
    5 garlic cloves, smashed
    2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    FOR THE RICE
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 cups long-grain brown rice
    3 1/2 cups water
    Directions
    1.Make the beans: Bring water, beans, jalapeno, onions, garlic, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper to a simmer in a medium pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. (Add more water, 1/4 cup at a time, if needed.) Season with salt and pepper.
    2.Meanwhile, make the rice: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons salt, teaspoon pepper, and the rice. Cook until rice is slightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add water, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and gently simmer, covered, until rice absorbs water, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, and season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with beans.
    First published
  • austindperry
    austindperry Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This may sound gross but I find it tolerable.

At supermarkets you can by canned chicken. This chicken is in water and comes in small cans like tuna. Protein is PACKED into these things however. I eat chicken sandwiches for snacks to boost my protein. They aren't the most delectable but with some sauce and bread it isn't too bad.

Just a thought!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is pretty high in protein, and it is tasty good :)
    cottage cheese is my favorite, and you can doll it up with fruit, spices, any taste can go with it.