Couch potato to crossfit

Options
Question for anyone doing crossfit .....would it be a good idea for someone who needs to lose about 70 pounds and out of shape to go straight into a crossfit box? I'm interested but husband thinks I need to lose weight and get in better shape first. The crossfit places near me advertise that they work with all fitness levels, but I'm not so sure. Just curious from those who have real world experience with it

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this for friends who do crossfit, but as with any exercise program it is best to start slowly and build up, though I highly doubt that any crossfit box only works with the ultra-fit.

Also, make sure that you key in your calories and nutrition first, as that is at least 80% of any successful weight loss program.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking about signing up......Join up. Today. Right now. They will adjust the workouts to your current level of fitness by lowering the weight, lowering the reps, or changing the exercises altogether.
  • Hzrdus
    Hzrdus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I understand most of my problem will be solved with a better diet, but wanted to start crossfit workouts if they start slowly and adjust to me.....though reading about it and seeing pics of the facilities seems intimidating. Just didn't want them taking one look at me and telling me to go to Curves LOL. (Nothing against Curves.)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I understand most of my problem will be solved with a better diet, but wanted to start crossfit workouts if they start slowly and adjust to me.....though reading about it and seeing pics of the facilities seems intimidating. Just didn't want them taking one look at me and telling me to go to Curves LOL. (Nothing against Curves.)

All gyms make money off of keeping members (whether they go or not). They will work with you, if for no other reason than they want to keep you because you are revenue to them (I'm in sales, everything is about money). No one is going to push you away - go and have fun!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    My guess is that they're going to welcome you with open arms. The crossfitters I know love it, and the camaraderie is part of the point. It's the same with any lifting gym. It intimidates people, but most of us want people there are who want to learn and get in shape.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    I was reading about it too but I'm pretty sure I couldn't do a single burpee or pull up right now..maybe 10 tops knee pushups.
    I know people who are very motivated by things that are way way above their level and super hard for them, I tend to get discouraged. So I'm working on things that are at a level that's pushing me but not making me feel like its impossible. Crossfit is on the list of things to try eventually though. I'd love to hear your impressions if you go.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Started crossfit 3 months ago. ( approaching 10 lbs lost with the diet) Love it. Do it for a month and see how it goes. They should modify the workout for you.
    Example modifications:
    Full workout -> half workout/half reps
    Running ->Row
    20 inch Box Jumps -> 12 inch or lower box jumps or step ups instead of jump
    Double unders (2 rotation jump rope) (most everyone mods) -> jump rope (look up double unders)
    Pull ups -> jump from a box to pull up (always for beginners no matter what) -> then pullups with rubber bands

Your gym should train you for at least 1.5 weeks on the exercises. For example you will have to do an over head squat with a pvc pipe correctly. You will be sore with this. It sounds absurd but it's all about doing right. with good form first. When you start the workouts they should modify the workout. For example, my gym will not let you do a full workout for a few weeks or months until you can get up to speed. Otherwise you will kill yourself.

It's all about modification, you pick your progress.

I started with jump pull ups, then bands for pull ups, now regular pull ups.

There are a few straight from the couch at my Gym. They are going for it but totally modified.

Good luck, if you want to do it which it sounds like you do, then try it for a month.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If everyone waited to be in shape to go to crossfit no one would be there. It isn't really the kind of thing you can prepare for.
    I've run half marathons and lifted weights before going and the workouts still kick my butt. Every workout is challenging but as others have mentioned all workouts are scaleable for different fitness levels.

We have one guy who lost 50lbs since in 6 months. There are people of all shapes sizes and fitness levels there.

If you are interested I strongly encourage you go check it out. It is a pretty welcoming community in my experience and what I know from others (I go to a box here and I visited one while travelling).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most crossfit boxes have a free class on saturday. you can go and check it out for free.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

Here is a link to a video shot at our box a few years ago. This is what I show people when they think they need to "get in shape" to start working out at a box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSa_AYGiNI&list=PL164F850DC8837070&index=1

The CrossFit community will welcome you happily, no matter size, shape or anything. They will only require you to want to be better.

Join us!
  • Southern_Belle_LA
    Southern_Belle_LA Posts: 931 Member
    Options
    Question for anyone doing crossfit .....would it be a good idea for someone who needs to lose about 70 pounds and out of shape to go straight into a crossfit box? I'm interested but husband thinks I need to lose weight and get in better shape first. The crossfit places near me advertise that they work with all fitness levels, but I'm not so sure. Just curious from those who have real world experience with it

My sister started doing Crossfit when she was over 300 pounds. She joined a great box with good experienced trainers who helped scale her workouts. She has lost over 100 pounds and she still modifies but you do not need to be in shape to start you just need to start! Find a good group of people that can help you with form and lift you up! I've never seen my sister so happy!
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    But before you join, do a research on the box of your choice. Since CrossFit became new it, boxes started popping up like crazy and filled with "trainers" who clearly got their certificates from thin air. I have many friends doing CF and I'm planning to start myself soon (there was no box where I lived past three years, so I couldn't pick it earlier), but I've heard horror stories about beginners and idiot CF coaches who thought that everything can be done as long as you yell motivational battle cries at a bunch of newbies. Make sure your trainer walks you through all the exercises, shows you proper form and doesn't give you a hernia first week.

(No, by no means this is an anti-CF post. I've seen equally many idiot BB and MMA coaches, I think getting a fitness trainer certificate has become way too easy these days...)
  • Electra007
    Options
    Thanks for informative responses as im looking at trying a class to see what it is all about.
  • saintlydi
    saintlydi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started crossfit last week I am 50lbs overweight and have zero fitness levels. In the space of a week I have gone from being able to do 0 push ups to last night doing 2 sets of 5 full push ups. Crossfit is different to any other gym you will ever walk into. It is not intiidating in any way. Everybody speaks to you and no one cares if you are only lifting the bar while they are lifting 90kgs. Find your local box and ask them for a free taster session. You will never look back!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking about signing up......Join up. Today. Right now. They will adjust the workouts to your current level of fitness by lowering the weight, lowering the reps, or changing the exercises altogether.

Don't be the couch potato.
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't know about crossfit but I am a Curves member (well, on hold at the moment as I am 26 weeks pregnant) but Curves has done wonders with me. Other than losing the weight with MFP, Curves helped me tone up in a way I never thought possible :) Good luck to you.