Fat that is released during meat/fish/chicken oven roasting?

Today I made meatloaf (was intended for the kids, but my wife and I had a serving as well).

When cooking meat/fish/chicken in the oven, I get a lot of "juice". This time i got around 9 tablespoons of "juice" + some fatty chunks of gunk. do I reduce that from the calories of the dish? if so how much (when it cooled it solidified, so my thinking is that its probably mostly fat...)

Thanks!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    No, no benefit to doing so, unless you are just wanting to.

Then if you do you'll have to chill it, take just the fat, and weigh that separately.
  • To be honest, this is more a point of curiosity, than a something that is bothering me too much...

for the heck of it, I will try to weigh it and see how significant it is - I was just struck yesterday by the sheer amount of the fatty liquid I was left with
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Mix that juice in with mash potatoes
  • I am sure that would have been delicious, but the kids don't like it for some reason, and I am low carbing it :wink:
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Mix that juice in with mash potatoes
    :laugh: That so does not answer his question.

OP, I would assume that you can for things like beef, which are fatty. But, for skinless chicken and fish, which are already low in fat and actually healthy, I wouldn't even bother. That's a bit obsessive.
  • Mix that juice in with mash potatoes
    :laugh: That so does not answer his question.

OP, I would assume that you can for things like beef, which are fatty. But, for skinless chicken and fish, which are already low in fat and actually healthy, I wouldn't even bother. That's a bit obsessive.

I guess we differ on what we think is healthy :wink: A whole separate discussion, but lets just leave it that I beleive that fat has got a bad reputation, and I don't shy away from it.

I think next time, I make a recipe I repeat, I will take the time to measure it and factor that in - Thanks