Triggers and Stress munching... any ideas?

Options
This week I took (and thank the heavens PASSED) the CFP3 exam (3 out of 5 exams leading up to the official CFP test). This module was on income tax (think logical, straightforward, easy to understand... NOT). I had failed it once before and because I procrastinated I had 4 days to take it again and pass or I was out a substantial amount of money and would have to go through the whole thing again.

I was in total cram mode and learned two things about myself.
1. My parents house is one BIG trigger. When I step inside a little voice in the back of my head screams "EAT!!!" "Eat Everything that isn't nailed down, then go ahead and really make sure those last things are nailed tight or its fair game!" That type of eating.

2. I also stress eat, scared I might fail, didn't have enough time, just really hate income tax planning, little voice inside my head: "You know what helps?? Sugar and lard in massive quantities lets try those!"

By the end of the week, I realized that to deal with my parents house, I simply just wouldn't eat at all, I went having eaten before and drank water while I was there politely refusing everything they offered. I stayed focused and eating before helped so I wasn't hungry but any other suggestions?

On the stress eating simply taking long, deep breaths helped here a bit, staying focused too..
I know people say exercise and within the time allowed I'd get up a jog in place, or do a quick bit of exercise to raise my heart rate, but the thing about eating is its something you can do While studying and freaking out. I don't always have the time to strap on my running shoes and take the time for the stress to pass, so in tight time situations when you really just want to eat to calm down, (often reaching for it unconsciously) what do you guys do??

All suggestions are appreciated. Ohh, and yes I PASSED the gosh darn test!!! :) Also managed to stay a little on track, but I'll take all the help I can get! :) Thanks!!

Replies

• joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I can totally sympathise with you on the stress eating. I am a convicted comfort eater!

Unfortunately the only way I have learned to cope with this is to stop buying the comfort foods in the first place, and have a few 'mini' treats in the cupboards. These are currently mini merigunes for the sugar hit; 99 flakes (the ones you get with icecream) for a choc hit; sugar free jellies (jello) in 100g tubs for the 'I want to eat dessert' hit. Sometimes I eat more than one..... but tbh I usually find just putting one in my mouth makes me realise that this is just stress eating, to slowly enjoy the hit and then move on. Sometimes that doesn't work, but even if I eat all of them, its only a few hundred calories, the same as a large bag of crisps (potato chips). And then I have to go to the shop for more. And that makes me think.

Stress eating is not quite the same as comfort eating I know, when I was revising for my CIPFA exams a few years ago, I sat with a large packet of biscuits that I just munched my way through. I don't know how I would cope now! Sorry not been much help!!
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Try making sure that what you have on hand to stress eat is healthy. Also, as a former insurance agent I know all about procrastinating studying and test taking. You will be less inclined to up end your progress though, if you apply the same discipline to your studies as you do your exercise and weight loss.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on passing the test, but even more, on learning a couple of things about yourself.
    One thing I do is journaling, eg, I'd write those two insights down in my journal. I also cut and paste in it any stress-relieving stories or ideas I come across. Often these are inspiring articles about a person who's accomplished something really hard or overcome great adversity.
    So another thing I do is re-read that journal in times of stress. I'm filling my second volume now.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on passing your exams.
    As for compulsive eating - you might want to substitute what you are currently eating with some healthy low cal alternatives such as raw carrot, celery and citrus.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should try sugar-free gum? Gives the mouth something to do, without the calories.