What do people do after a big binge to get back on track?

Options
Okay, things have been going well for me since I started using mfp and calorie intake is around what is recommended, with the odd. Few hundred over and hundred or two under. Have been doing around 700 calorie mark for exercise per day. Last night went to a match and had a few beers and ended up over 3500 cals above recommended intake.

Currently lying in bed debating whether to go out for an hour on the bike in order to get some credit in for tonight's trip to the pub.

My question is how to others deal with major blowouts like this?

Should I cut back on cals for a few days? exercise extra hard? write it off as a bad couple of days and get back on programme tomorrow? What do you think?

Replies

• kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    One day wont make that much difference over the long run. It's how you do over a week/month that counts.
    Besides, trying to exercise back over 3,000 calories in one hit would be a marathon task. Go for a ride by all means, but don't try and get all those calories back in one go.
    Just chalk it up to experience and move on and try to be healthier tomorrow and throughout the following week.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Write it off as a bad day and proceede forward as usual. It is really east to get into a binge/deprivation cycle, otherwise :/
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I personally think you should sum it up as a 1 day thing and start fresh today. Life happens right? We just have to enjoy those fun moments, not beat ourselves up, and get right back on the horse that kicked us off ????

Cheers! ☕
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Last night I enjoyed a birthday celebration that included appetizers at the wine bar and mexican food. I did my best to track the food and trust me.......I didn't like the totals. :noway: Today, it's back to normal. Stay within my calories, eat healthier and get some exercise. Personally, I do not beat myself up over splurge nights - a huge NSV for me. Today..........business as usual.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Friends don't let friends bike drunk.

Don't stress about one day. If your overall program is working, then just keep doing your overall program. The effects of one single day are not even noticeable in your overall weight loss. Just move forward. Always forward. Don't look back.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Drink some water and take a walk.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I pull up my big girl panties and don't sweat it. Just start again tomorrow and I enjoy what I ate on my binge.

No use feeling bad about it. I also make sure to drink lots of water and move a little more the day after.
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You must start over today. Put yesterday behind you and don't look back! I blew my diet yesterday too when I succumbed to the mini Snickers and Hersheys I bought for the husband. I was so disgusted with myself.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I just had one of those nights last night, but guess what today is a new day and I promised myself upon getting up this morning that I will not see red today:) We're all on this journey and there will be bumps in the road, but you shouldn't feel guilty, just get back on track the next day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Your obviously are not eating enough and there's no way in hel! that the body will accept that situation when there's food available everywhere...........you basically did what you were told to do. It will continue to happen unless you understand that a minimal deficit with food you intend to consume for the rest of your life is what generally gives best results......
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Today, it's back to normal. Stay within my calories, eat healthier and get some exercise. Personally, I do not beat myself up over splurge nights - a huge NSV for me. Today..........business as usual.

Great attitude :smile:
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again....well, at least that's how the old song goes.

Like the others have said, I treat it as an isolated one-time event. I know from past experience if I just get back to eating properly and exercising that it will have little impact on my weight loss. I am very conscious to drink a lot of water, because those binges seem to always be loaded with sodium and the bloated feeling of retaining water will make me feel like crap.

I also look at WHY the overeating happened. Did I forget to HALT? That is, was I too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired? This week I was going to see my aunt who was terminally ill and I binged on pizza because I was Hungry and Tired and feeling powerless over losing this woman who had been so good to me during a difficult childhood. I forgive myself for using food to soothe myself - after all, even thin people occasionally overeat - and went back to what I know works for me. I need to exercise to work out tension and stress and the sadness I feel over losing my aunt, and take care of myself with good nutrition because I am going through a grieving period now. I know that no food is going to fill that hole I have in my heart right now.

Hopefully, as you look at WHY you overdid it, you can work out a plan for the next time. Perhaps a night out means you have a small meal before you go - a salad is what I go for or a glass of V8 vegetable juice- so that I won't be ravenous by the time I hit the dinner out with friends and attack the rolls on the table. I have some GoPicnic meals at my desk at work (shelf-stable, about 350 cals each) and have a mini-meal before I go out.

Hope this helps.
  • a84vikes
    a84vikes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, I'm sure everyone on here has slipped up a few times. Just get back on track and sweat it out today. It's difficult to eat healthy at a sporting event, even more-so when you are drinking. Just don't make a habit of it, and you will be fine. Before I think of going crazy, I take a look in the mirror and see how far I've come, and how much I don't want to ruin my progress. Good luck.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Everyone has times where they slip and eat things they shouldn't -- or hey even too much of things they should be eating. I think you should just chalk it up as a slip up and move on. If it makes you feel better go for a bike or a walk or something and make sure you drink plenty of water to flush your system.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I dont worry too much about it. I certainly dont feel guilty. I just continue the next day. I usually take a long walk though because it helps my stomach feel better if I eat too much.
  • Maisylouise2
    Maisylouise2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My body kind of likes when I overdo it every couple of weeks. Is that wierd? I faithfully count everything I eat & drink- and stick to my goals. But I've noticed throughout my 25lb weight loss that when I keep my iPhone off mfp and enjoy myself there are no repercussions. I do NOT do this often - and don't chow down chicken wings or anything too heinously bad for me. Just my two cents worth! Good luck on your journey. Do not beat yourself up. Today's a new day:)
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Yesterday is gone. Treat it as such. What you can do, is stick within your goals today.
    If you wanna go for a bike ride, go for it. If its something you enjoy doing. If you know you'll be consuming most of your calories tonight, have a lighter day, and plan for your indulgences. But don't allow your social life to be an excuse to derail your plans. You have to find a balance.
  • alexomahony71
    alexomahony71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive advice. I've decided I will take the day off exercise today and I will drink more water this afternoon. Tonight in the pub I'll have a pint of water for every pint of Guinness I have.

My killer problem is if I have a load of pints I tend to wolf down a take away on the way home and last night I did the same and then I found some cakes in the fridge, Naughty fridge!!!!!!!!. I think the easy answer for me is to not get rat faced too often. :cry:
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Just move on? It's one day of a very long journey. If it really is that much of a problem, then you might need to reassess your attitude, goals and approach. Honestly, like some others, I think my body might actually like cheat days and perform beter in the lnog run, despite what it does for my weekly net calorie intake.

I look at it like a mental break of sorts that lets me reset and come with a refreshed mind and attitude.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You've got to allow your self one day now and again to enjoy. I don't consider those "bad" days just "life" days .Log it all, then get back to "normal" the next day.