Low calorie cake recipes?

Options
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has some yummy low calorie recipes for cake. Doesn't really matter what kind. As long as it tastes good. :) Thanks!

Replies

• TimeWarp9
    Options
    Right now I can't remember the amount of water so this is a guess... - can someone else help? But essentially, this will work for any boxed cake mix, any flavor.

1 box commercial cake mix (be aware that if you use a light colored cake, it will be orangish...)
    1 can pumpkin
    1/2 cup (???) water

Do not add the oil or eggs it calls for on the box, but otherwise cook the same - but keep a closer eye on the time. The pumpkin adds a good amount of fiber and all the other good veggie stuff, the cakes are moist, but without the added fat of the oil and eggs.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Make a weetabix cake ( recipe on line) but don't add as much sugar as it says. Each slice can be well under 90 cals that way. And it's good to freeze, keep in a tin. Toasts nicely too.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Right now I can't remember the amount of water so this is a guess... - can someone else help? But essentially, this will work for any boxed cake mix, any flavor.

1 box commercial cake mix (be aware that if you use a light colored cake, it will be orangish...)
    1 can pumpkin
    1/2 cup (???) water

Do not add the oil or eggs it calls for on the box, but otherwise cook the same - but keep a closer eye on the time. The pumpkin adds a good amount of fiber and all the other good veggie stuff, the cakes are moist, but without the added fat of the oil and eggs.
    I did this with Spice cake mix and a 15oz can of pumpkin... no water. Bake at 350F for 20-22 min. It was perfect!!
  • fruitlessbanana
    Options

1 can pumpkin
    1/2 cup (???) water

That sound really good! Definitely trying this one. Thank you (:
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options

1 can pumpkin
    1/2 cup (???) water

I did this with Spice cake mix and a 15oz can of pumpkin... no water. Bake at 350F for 20-22 min. It was perfect!!

^This I make it a lot and always turns out amazing. It also makes great muffin/cupcakes.
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Any kind of boxed cake mix and a can of diet pop. Whatever you like.
  • jahreviking
    Options
    this cake is made with half the butter it should and is mostly wholewheat, depends on your taste. this is because the more wholewheat one adds, the denser the cake is.

i take 100 gms of soft butter in a bowl, i add 1 cup of raw sugar, i cup of wholewheat flour, 2 tsp flax seeds ground, cinnamon powder, 3/4 cup plain white flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder. i mix this together until the mix is sandy in texture and the butter has been mixed in.
    in a small jug i beat (electric beater) 2 eggs until frothy, i add 1/2 cup milk and beat it for few seconds.
    i beat this egg mix into the flour butter mix, i add 1 tbsp of vanilla essence, 1 tbsp of sour cream and mix the batter. do not beat it too much. i pour this into a greased dish and bake. sometimes i add some orange juice and dark chocolate chips to the batter for a different kinda cake.
    i also add puffed amaranth, whole flax seeds, melon seeds, almonds etc. whatever i feel like in terms of type of cake i feel like making. i make an orange choco chip, a dried fruit, nuts cake, a chocolate cake etc. it just depends. i have also made it with all whole wheat and it turned out super. i just increase the baking soda then.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pineapple Angel Food Cake (top with Cool Whip & strawberries).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13 inch pan with vegetable oil spray. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pineapple (with juice). Mix until well blended. Pour batter into prepared 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350° F for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool. Serve with whipped topping

Another option: bake in an ungreased tube pan. You will need to scrape the sides with a sharp knife to get the cake out (this is normal for angel food because the egg whites in the mix will not rise well with any fat added.

Either way it's best to cool this cake upside down on a wire rack.

Another light recipe - Light Pineapple Orange cake
    1 package yellow cake mix
    1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
    4 egg whites
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    TOPPING:
    1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
    1 package (3.5 ounce) instant vanilla pudding mix (you could use sugar free if you want)
    1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat whipped topping (Cool-Whip)

In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, oranges, egg whites and applesauce on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
    Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
    In a bowl, combine the pineapple and pudding mix. Fold in whipped topping just until blended. Spread over cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish with sliced oranges (optional).
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    How about Muffins? Someone put this on here yesterday.

These are only 86 calories (may vary according to your protein powder), 8 carbs, 1 fat, and 11 protein! This makes 12 muffins.

Preheat oven to 375F
    Combine:
    -1 cup of oatmeal processed in a blender/food processor into flour. *1 cup BEFORE it is processed, it will be less afterwards*
    - 5 scoops of vanilla protein powder. * I have done a mixture of chocolate and vanilla before and that was great too*
    - 1 tsp Baking Powder
    - 1 tsp of cinnamon *This is an estimate. I just throw spices in until I like the taste. *
    - 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice * Again, an esitmate. Adjust to your liking.*
    - Egg whites from 3 large eggs.
    -1 cup of Libby's pure pumpkin
    - 1/2 cup of no sugar added apple sauce

Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes depending on oven.

There are also a lot of recipes out there for Cakes that use the no sugar added apple sauce in stead of sugar.
    I have a terrific Carrot Cake that uses pineapple, It is too die for!!
    I use Fat Free greek yogurt and Fat free cream cheese and Truvia to make the frosting.
    I wish there was a recipe tab on here where we could put our recipes and everyone could use them. :drinker:
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Another one off this site I saved> I have not tried yet, I would put in the Recipe Calculator to find out exact Nutrients & Cals

Mix a box of angel food cake with a box of any flavor regular cake (Vanilla, devils food, red velvet...literally anything)

Store the dry mix in a Tupperware container.

Add:

3 Tablespoons of the dry mix to a teacup or a finger bowl

2 Tablespoons of water and mix

Microwave for 1 minute

3, 2, 1 Cake!

With my cake mixes I used (Pillsbury angel food and Duncan Heinz red velvet) it came out to be around 39 calories a cake.

I also added 1 tablespoon of *whipped Pillsbury vanilla frosting for 50 calories. That is all you need and make it much sweeter. So in all, 89 calories a cupcake with frosting.

Enjoy! You should get something like 60 servings out of the batch.
  • martanner
    martanner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are many healthy substitutions you can make. For example, try using non-fat yogurt in place of half of the butter. Applesauce can be used in place of oil.
  • maryledwards
    Options
    Use any type of boxed cake mix and add 12oz of a diet soft drink. Bake as directed. It makes a wonderfully moist cake with fewer calories. Plus you can mix flavors, chocolate with a diet cherry soft drink, a lemon cake mix with a diet citrus drink: those are my two favorites. Frost with CoolWhip. :bigsmile:
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake.....homemade, mix, or store bought.....fruit of your choice cooked with cornstarch to thicken and artificial sweetener (if needed) to pour over as a glaze/sauce.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ever try the 321 cake? It makes one serving so you can't overeat.

Mix 1 box of angel food cake mix with 1 box of any other cake mix you like. This is the basic mix. It makes a lot of single serving cakes. I mixed mine in a gallon sized plastic food bag.

When the urge for cake hits mix 3 T of the cake mix with 2 T water in a 1c sized bowl. Microwave for 1 min.

I mixed angelfood and devils food cake mix. For an extra treat, top with a small amount of canned whip cream or cool whip. I'm not sure of the calorie count but it is only 1 weight watchers point
  • uptomoonandback
    uptomoonandback Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Use any type of boxed cake mix and add 12oz of a diet soft drink. Bake as directed. It makes a wonderfully moist cake with fewer calories. Plus you can mix flavors, chocolate with a diet cherry soft drink, a lemon cake mix with a diet citrus drink: those are my two favorites. Frost with CoolWhip. :bigsmile:

I'm definitely going to have to try, we got some French vanilla cake mixes for super cheap and I'm thinking about adding diet orange crush to it. I have never done anything like this before! If your not a big fan of cool whip what would be another good icing to use?
    Any other good mixes that you can think of?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Another one off this site I saved> I have not tried yet, I would put in the Recipe Calculator to find out exact Nutrients & Cals

Mix a box of angel food cake with a box of any flavor regular cake (Vanilla, devils food, red velvet...literally anything)

Store the dry mix in a Tupperware container.

Add:

3 Tablespoons of the dry mix to a teacup or a finger bowl

2 Tablespoons of water and mix

Microwave for 1 minute

3, 2, 1 Cake!

With my cake mixes I used (Pillsbury angel food and Duncan Heinz red velvet) it came out to be around 39 calories a cake.

I also added 1 tablespoon of *whipped Pillsbury vanilla frosting for 50 calories. That is all you need and make it much sweeter. So in all, 89 calories a cupcake with frosting.

Enjoy! You should get something like 60 servings out of the batch.

Um .... there was a thread on this awhile back .... the cake alone was calculated in the 100 calorie range
  • sparks787
    sparks787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    http://www.vegan-weight-loss.com/banana-cake-recipes.html

Here's a link to some no fat cakes. I've made the banana one and it is yummy and you get a decent size slice. I divide it into 12 at 121 calories per slice, so that if I have enough calories left, I can eat 2 slices. I'm not vegan, so I put in ordinary milk, I put in flax seed in because it's full of good things but I think it can be substituted with 1 egg,
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sparks787
    sparks787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sorry, don't know how to make links to websites, does anybody know? You'll just have to type it all out if you want to see the site.:smile: