Looking for Motivating MFP

Options
I am looking for motivation MFP Friends. On February 9, 2013, I slipped on ice and broke two bones in my ankle, spent three days in the hospital, had surgery where they put plates and screws in my left leg. I had to use a walker for three months and could only walk on my right leg. April 30, 2013 I was able to walk on both legs with the walker, a week later I transition to a quad cane for 6 weeks. I also did 12 weeks of Physical Therapy. Now I am walking without assisted devices and working out :smile: on my own with limitations that I cannot run or jump, but I can walk and use exercise machines. As of August 17, 2013, I been eating healthy and working out to lose the weight I gain from being immobile, including the weight I was trying to lose before my accident. Need motivating Friends!

Replies

• wideeyedwonder
    Options
    Hi msjac23, I empathize with you about the fall and broken bones--even the plates & screws & even the left leg! Happened to me in 2010! Sorry you went through all that. You sound positive & motivated. You're doing great with your healing. I just joined MFP yesterday. One thing that really has helped my rehabilitation from the fall has been going to the indoor pool all year 'round. It helps me to stretch and move much further than I can on dry land. The buoyancy and natural massage of the water really helps ease pain, too.
  • pilot371
    pilot371 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    you're well on your way to mending!! way to go and way to get back at it.

I too have been through similar. In 1996 I herniated a disc in my back, had spinal surgery 9 months later and was off work for a year.

When I was finally better, I started slow and was in the pool at local recreation centre to build up fitness and endurance.

Feel free to add me
  • Obidalagirl
    Options
    Keep building yourself up slowly. Everything heals in time. :)
  • Mikeys_Girl
    Options
    I too have been in recovery mode... My ex of 13 yrs gave me hiv and I did not know until I woke up from a 49 day coma which left me unable to even raise my hand off the bed. I was 280 going into the hospital 198 comming out and now I am 230. I was stoked at my weight loss until I figured out it was ALL muscle. I am all better now jogging 2 miles a day or 70 minutes of strength training and cardio. I would love to offer support because I too know what it takes to recover and start over. I have my diary open and welcome helpful advice. It has also been a challenge to get my metabolism back up, with all my meds I do not know if I can ever get it where it needs to be but here's hoping.
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank You ALL, I am motivated, but sometimes you need more than yourself to keep you motivated. I have 50% bending range in my ankle, my doctor said I can have surgery again and she can bend it for me, unless I do a lot of stretching. I do not want to have surgery again. Because the ankle is stiff everyday and cause me to limp, exercising in the morning and wearing rocker bottom shoes helps me to walk properly. The stiffness is like a built in motivator to work out every day. Give me a reason to workout. That's why I say no to more surgery.
  • CarlaNeverGivenUp
    CarlaNeverGivenUp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me. I love to encourage and receive a bit too. I log daily! Congrats on your recovery process! The tortoise wins the race!

Blessings,
    Carla