Hyperhidrosis

Options
Hello everyone,

Shame on me for creating a fake account to relate what I'm going through...however, I simply can't picture revealing my condition as myself, as a lot of people I know are on here. As you may have guessed by the title, I suffer from hyperhidrosis. For those of you who are not familiar with this condition (I envy you so much), hyperhidrosis is excessive sweating. This condition may present itself in isolated areas of the body, or as in my case, be generalized. I remember as a kid sweating a lot when playing around, but the problem intensified with the years, and has been a real problem for the past 10 years. I used to be very outgoing, always clowing around and living life to its fullest. However, the more and more I became aware of my condition, the more it intensified. I was afraid of going out and sweating, thus sweating even more because of the fear & stress. I am now completely paralyzed by this. I'm 27, still living with my parents, no job, & haven't got a girlfriend in 4 years, even though I've had lots of opportunities. Fear, shame & stress dictate my life, all because of this excessive sweating. There's nothing I'd like more than getting a job, move out and meet the girl of my dreams. However, I simply cannot picture myself doing so. I'm too ashamed of people noticing my condition. Wether it's wet hands when meeting people, odors from my shoes or clothes, stains on clothes...those are things I always think about when leaving home. I'm not too sure why I'm posting this...perhaps to get some sort of support? I guess I'm looking for support from people who have hyperhidrosis, and get to know if or how they manage it or hopefully, got rid of it. thanks for those who will take time to respond!

Shamefully,

Myself

Replies

• lblert
    Options
    There is a prescription strength antiperspirant called Drysol. I tried it just on my underarms and it definitely works. I've heard of people putting it on their palms and feet, too. There is an over the counter antiperspirant that's similar called Certain Dri which worked just as well for me. Some doctors will prescribe beta blockers like Inderal or benzodiazepines like Ativan or Xanax if they think anxiety or nervousness is causing the excess sweating. See a doctor, especially a dermatologist about this. It's really a more common problem than you think.

I sweat a lot as a side effect from my antidepressant and Adderall. My hairline, scalp, and face tend to sweat the most. I don't want to put antiperspirant on those areas so I try not to worry about it. I know how you feel though - it can be embarrassing when you are visibly sweating for no reason.
  • sdlevels
    sdlevels Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I echo lbert's response, especially see a doctor/dermatologist for recommended treatment. Also continue to search online for more information about how others are trying to combat your condition. I don't suffer from excessive sweating but I have a condition called hidradenitis. This is a skin condition that causes painful lesions on certain areas of the body. No cure for it and the doctor recommended treatment was to take antibiotics. Of course, no one wants to do that constantly. So I kept getting online to research how others with the condition were managing. Just recently I found one person who stated that my condition is more of an autoimmune disease and food could be triggering outbreaks. Low and behold, now I no longer eat any dairy based products as milk is a trigger. My outbreaks have dramatically decreased. So to sum up, stay informed, be persistent, and hang in there! Also know that if you find the right girl, she will understand your condition and love you regardless. Everyone's got their own cross to bare!