Chronic Pain and Exercise

Options

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I had painful feet, turns out i needed to find the right shoe. Nike feels best vs New Balance which sucks for my feet.

Swimming is virtually pain free. Advil or Aleve for pain. Orthotics can help in the shoe. Also for knee pain and feet pain and other assorted pains - velcro wraps - for some reason velcro wraps you can buy at your drug store help better than Ace bandage, it sort of hugs you where it hurts and is adjustable.

Losing weight which will take the weight off your jones and bones will help and the more you lose the easier it becomes to do anything.

last year when i was so fat, i got back spasms and i learned how to get up and down off a seat, so far they haven't come back.. i was totally a couch potato and this is what i think caused it.

weekly or daily jacuzzi is fabulous for stress relief, and comfort and a treat.

those are all things that have helped me.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm another who is an ex instructor - fitness and boxercise mainly. I know what you mean about missing the movement more than hating the wait.

Your post shingles pain will react one of two ways to increasing exercise and weight loss, you know that I am guessing. If you want a happy story to reassure you... I had a client who came to my Baggy T classes. She was post shingles and had lived for years with that debilitating pain level that drugs didn't touch much. Well, she winced and ooched her way through a few weeks of class, then started to enjoy herself. After about a year she left me for a spin class!! As far as I know she continues to increase her activity levels until she felt that any more may have had a negative impact.

Start slowly and be prepared to up and down your exercise dosage and good luck, cyber hugs and all best wishes xxx
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You need regular exercise even more if you suffer from chronic pain! At least, that's my experience. I feel better, not worse, when I exercise.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Have you looked for gentle exercising you can do in bed? If you google for 'bedridden exercise" you'll find lots of videos and other such stuff. It might help you feel a little better if you could find exercises for the parts of your body shingles hasn't totally knocked out. I had a minor, localized case of shingles brought on by statins. I say minor, well, it was certainly minor comparied to yours, but it was indeed totally miserable and I'm still alternatively numb or tingling on my right thigh several years later.
  • karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain after a badly herniated L4L5 which left me with nerve damage then fracturing my foot. When I decided to lose some weight with a combination of counting calories and exercise I was afraid I wouldnt be able to complete the 'workouts' as prescribed, and I couldn't, even with strong painkillers. I kind of felt like I had failed if I couldn't do what others could do.

Then I read a post on here which basically said that anything I do extra to what I was doing before (walking, light weights, swimming) even in small amount was more than I was doing before and therefore contributing. I went from having difficulty walking to slowly jogging on a tradmill. It took me almost 3 months to do week 1 of C25K but I did it and I can still do it today. To me, that is a major acheivement after being told only 2 years ago I may never walk again.

With that and a little bit of strength exercises and sensible eating I lost 30lb, I am still losing but I have changed my exercise to walking at the moment.

I realised that it all relative, someone else might be pleased with their 30 day shred or insanity and I love reading about their achievements, but for me working within my health limit and succeeding, and still losing weight, makes me feel ecstatic.

Good luck, do what you can x
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain after a badly herniated L4L5 which left me with nerve damage then fracturing my foot. When I decided to lose some weight with a combination of counting calories and exercise I was afraid I wouldnt be able to complete the 'workouts' as prescribed, and I couldn't, even with strong painkillers. I kind of felt like I had failed if I couldn't do what others could do.

Then I read a post on here which basically said that anything I do extra to what I was doing before (walking, light weights, swimming) even in small amount was more than I was doing before and therefore contributing. I went from having difficulty walking to slowly jogging on a tradmill. It took me almost 3 months to do week 1 of C25K but I did it and I can still do it today. To me, that is a major acheivement after being told only 2 years ago I may never walk again.

With that and a little bit of strength exercises and sensible eating I lost 30lb, I am still losing but I have changed my exercise to walking at the moment.

I realised that it all relative, someone else might be pleased with their 30 day shred or insanity and I love reading about their achievements, but for me working within my health limit and succeeding, and still losing weight, makes me feel ecstatic.

Good luck, do what you can x

Thank you for sharing :smile:
    Life is about being honest and genuine.
    So many people would benefit from your post.
    Be the best YOU that you can be, do what works for YOU and don't compare yourself to anyone else.
  • karenmint
    karenmint Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I suffer from long term severe chronic pain. The rule I've made for myself is I go to the gym every single day no matter how I'm feeling and do what I can. Today I was able to use the rowing machine, do three sets on each of my usual weight machines, and (for me) miracle of miracles walk 45 minutes on the treadmill (in 15 min increments between weight sets). Last Wednesday, I went in, did one partial set on one weight machine and left. I was there less than five minutes. And that's okay. I think that's been the hardest thing to accept is it's okay to not be able to do much and it's okay not to push myself.

When you have chronic pain, gritting your teeth and sucking it up is not a good idea. In my case, it will lead to being bedridden for the next two weeks. So I've learned to listen to my body and do what's possible. So what if I only do three leg curls? That's three more leg curls than if I had stayed home. Every little bit counts and adds up over time.
  • Obscuring
    Obscuring Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've had postherpatic neuropathy in my foot, hip, leg, and back since I was 12, I am 21 now. Exercise wise- all my doctors have recommended swimming since it is the lowest impact. I personally don't like putting my hair in the chlorine every day so I only swim once in a while and choose to use an elliptical trainer. My advice is this - only exercise when you know you have the energy for it. If you're having a bad pain day take it easy and don't ever put yourself down for not being able to exercise or do other tasks because of it - it is not in your control.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    My advice is this - only exercise when you know you have the energy for it. If you're having a bad pain day take it easy and don't ever put yourself down for not being able to exercise or do other tasks because of it - it is not in your control.

It is true that feeling good when dealing with pain is often out of your control. I compromise. If I only exercised when I had the energy for it, it wouldn't happen very often. Fortunately, doing a little often makes me feel well enough to do more. I try to get good rest and recovery, by eating well, sleeping enough, doing rehab exercises that help reduce pain, and taking plenty of easy days in between strenuous days.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about pain, just eat at a caloric deficit.

Calorie deficit = weight loss
    Exercise = fitness

I have plantar fasciitis... which is pain on the foot right where the arch and heel meet. I've got it mostly under control now and I'm back to exercising, but it had no affect on my ability to maintain a calorie deficit, other than the fact I couldn't eat my exercise calories back since I wasn't exercising.

I've had that in both feet, painful to say the least. All your body weight pushes down when you stand or walk. But next to Shingles Plantar is nothihggggggggggg... lol... I'd go with Plantar in both feet at the same time before Shingles/\... I'm sorry your body is in pain right now, hopefully you can get it managed soon.....
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RA as a young woman and was until I lost my thyroid due to cancer fairly a-typical. Then together with menopause I started to have a lot of pain. Two years ago I was diagnosed with rampant systemic Lupus and am still not in remission. I take Tramadol , Diclofenac daily and when things get bad injected Tramadol plus various types of cortisone by mouth and injected, plus an anti malarial for Lupus.
    In January of this year I walked with a walker, starting in March with a cane and now am strong enough to do my daily stuff including climbing up and down to the fourth floor where I live several times a day, plus I walk 30-40 minutes for speed and exercise on average five times a week. I think what helped me greatly was to get not only the right diagnose and medication, but also my assisting in a pain management group and doing daily exercises just starting out for five minutes in January.
    Chronic pain, the kind that most likely will never disappear completely needs to be accepted and managed as well as we can doing as much as our energy level allows.
    The important thing is to know when we need to rest and to know when we need to challenge ourselves with that extra minute of walking or other exercise and not use our health problems as an excuse to be totally sedentary.
    Since I joined my Lupus group two years ago several members have died. All except one have died of lifestyle related problems that have nothing to do with Lupus and I try to do my best to not let that happen to me.
    I overate for a while out of self pity and gained 40 kilos/almost 85 pounds, but decided in the beginning of April to put a stop to that and have since lost just under 35 pounds
  • Sybil71
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis (among other diseases). There isn't a day when I'm not in pain, in fact I've forgotten what normal is. I have learned that the pain varies, so I work in windows when it's not as severe.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I feel your type of pain also. I have CRPS/RSD in my right arm and hand due to surgery complications. Confused nerve pain signals that are really hard to keep under control. My father suffered horribly with post herpatic nueralgia (PHN) and for several years was basically incapacitated. Try doing some resistance band therapy.

You might also look at the medication - the lyrica - pregambilin and neurotin also are big gainers. I am taking Lyrica and it does tend to make one hold onto weight. Log your foods and stay as active as possible! :heart:

This was going to be my suggestion as well....are you on any of these meds? As OP above stated, they are notorious for causing weight gain, So are a lot of your antidepressants and mood stabilizers. I know that these meds are often necessary in pain management, but get with your doc and have a good discussion about it. Often times tweaking the meds or switching can make a big difference, There are meds out that that accomplish the goal of pain management with less weight gain. Good Luck!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My advice is this - only exercise when you know you have the energy for it. If you're having a bad pain day take it easy and don't ever put yourself down for not being able to exercise or do other tasks because of it - it is not in your control.

It is true that feeling good when dealing with pain is often out of your control. I compromise. If I only exercised when I had the energy for it, it wouldn't happen very often. Fortunately, doing a little often makes me feel well enough to do more. I try to get good rest and recovery, by eating well, sleeping enough, doing rehab exercises that help reduce pain, and taking plenty of easy days in between strenuous days.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard to exercise when the pain is intense. But try to find something you can do even on your worst days. For me, I found I can use my recumbent bike and because it is easy on my joints...it always makes me feel better.

I have purchased lots of dvds that meet different days and levels of pain. Check out Collage videos they have so many to meet your ability and you can preview them.

Good luck to you and you have lots of potential support and friends who have responded to your message.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Back injury for the last 4 years that stopped me working. Weight was 95kg at my highest point at the start of 2012. I'd put on 10kg in the time I'd been injured.

Walking has helped me so much that I no longer have to take as many painkillers (codeine can mess with you so damn bad after that long with that much a day) and I can even run.

Still cant work though unless it's a job where I'm moving non-stop all day.

Have to walk from the moment I wake up till the moment I go to bed.

Lost enough weight to get to 57kg & still that did not help my back. Weight loss was not the answer to my pain at all....despite what the 1st Dr told me. "You nee to lose weight" without giving advice on how to do so.... 3 years later I'd still not worked it out. Did that on my own with NO help.

2nd Dr goes "you are not doing anything to help yourself, I don't want you as my patient anymore".....despite having lost over 30kg by that stage...guess weight loss was not enough for him (he was fat)

3rd Dr "you walk so much, try toning it down a bit, come back & see me in a month"

Do what YOU think you can do, stuff what people tell you that you can't do. Walking saved me right at the start, it's keeping me great now.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I know it is hard to exercise when the pain is intense. But try to find something you can do even on your worst days. For me, I found I can use my recumbent bike and because it is easy on my joints...it always makes me feel better.

I have purchased lots of dvds that meet different days and levels of pain. Check out Collage videos they have so many to meet your ability and you can preview them.

Good luck to you and you have lots of potential support and friends who have responded to your message.

I've come to love the recumbent bike, so gentle on the joints, but it can be an intense workout.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Back injury for the last 4 years that stopped me working. Weight was 95kg at my highest point at the start of 2012. I'd put on 10kg in the time I'd been injured.

Walking has helped me so much that I no longer have to take as many painkillers (codeine can mess with you so damn bad after that long with that much a day) and I can even run.

Lost enough weight to get to 57kg & still that did not help my back. Weight loss was not the answer to my pain at all....despite what the 1st Dr told me. "You nee to lose weight" without giving advice on how to do so.... 3 years later I'd still not worked it out. Did that on my own with NO help.

2nd Dr goes "you are not doing anything to help yourself, I don't want you as my patient anymore".....despite having lost over 30kg by that stage...guess weight loss was not enough for him (he was fat)

3rd Dr "you walk so much, try toning it down a bit, come back & see me in a month"

Do what YOU think you can do, stuff what people tell you that you can't do. Walking saved me right at the start, it's keeping me great now.

What type of back injury?
    I have had sacroiliac joint dysfunction since the birth of my second son in '96.
    I've never been overweight, have worked out for years- both cardio and strength, and work as an RN on my feet all shift.
    My back has been really painful the last few weeks to the point of not working out at all for fear of causing further pain and injury.
    I am at goal weight and consider myself healthy and active.
    But I get really frustrated when people on mfp say that I should just "lift heavy" with squats and dead lifts.
    They really don't seem to care enough to understand what is going on with my body or what chronic pain is really like.
    It's so nice to hear from people who do.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

What type of back injury?
    I have had sacroiliac joint dysfunction since the birth of my second son in '96.
    I've never been overweight, have worked out for years- both cardio and strength, and work as an RN on my feet all shift.
    My back has been really painful the last few weeks to the point of not working out at all for fear of causing further pain and injury.
    I am at goal weight and consider myself healthy and active.
    But I get really frustrated when people on mfp say that I should just "lift heavy" with squats and dead lifts.
    They really don't seem to care enough to understand what is going on with my body or what chronic pain is really like.
    It's so nice to hear from people who do.

3 discs that decided they dont like being contained where they should & are close to rupturing, pressing on so many nerves it's not funny. All in the lower back. I'm not allowed to lift any more than 5kg max, can only sit for a few mins a day or my back actually freezes up & I can't move, but then I cant stand up still either...have to keep moving.... have to. Also have sciatica that pisses me right off & pain right down both legs because of my back.

Chronic pain is a real..... yeah. I manage it quite well with my walking now though, cause like I have a choice? I can run easy...10km minimum at a time. I can dance, zumba you name it.... but lift, sit or stand still? Forget it.

And I get the most painfull twinge every now & then...... when I know I'm doing more than I should...like freaking cooking.
  • JavaDream
    Options
    I want to thank everyone. I never knew how supportive it could be knowing others are struggling with the same issue I have. All of my friends and co-workers seem to think that the pain I have today will not be there tomorrow. I've simply stopped sharing my pain with them.

I walked three times last week during my breaks at work! It hurt like h*ll, but I did it. I took it really slow and enjoyed the birds and the wonderful early fall weather.

For meds, I'm on an anti-convulsant that's good for nerve pain. It works keeping the brunt of the pain at bay and enables me to go about my life. But, the dosage required leaves me loopy. I can't put my thoughts together. Fortunately I have a job (well, two jobs), that I can think slowly:smile: It's like walking around in a bit of a daze. Some days I skip a dose just to get my brain back. But, of course, that also brings the brunt of the pain back.