how do YOU make sure your losing fat and not muscle ?

Options
what does everyone do? mine is to tryo to lift my max (or close to it) at the gym

Replies

• james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Consume a good amount of protein while keeping my overall diet very healthy and lean as possible. I always lift heavy but its mostly about diet if you don't want to lose the muscle.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Strength training 2-3X week
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I would think that most people lift moderate to heavy weights doing full body moves (or compound moves) at least 2-3 times a week or more, eat adequate protein (at least one gram per pound of desired lbm), and not going on too severe of a calorie deficit.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It's very, very difficult (unless you're a beginner) to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time - so most people have to prioritize one or the other. I am at present focusing on fat loss.

The way I prevent my muscles from losing the (miniscule amount of) definition they have... Is by incorporating lifting into my workouts. I don't focus on reps or on increasing weight; just ensuring that I "feel it" when I'm done. Yaknow?

Anyways, if you read most articles online, it's pretty hard to lose fat and not lose at least SOME muscle. Because when you're eating at a calorie deficit - which is mandatory for losing weight/fat - your body is literally going to eat itself to make up for the difference. Yes, it will eat mostly fat, but it will also eat muscle. You just have to ask yourself which is more important to you, and make plans to build that muscle up again once you're at a point where you're comfortable with your fat.

Hope I helped!
  • tarra74
    tarra74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    By making sure I am eating enough protein and working out daily.
  • Lift heavy, get protein,and eat at a small-moderate deficit.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Mine is limiting my weekly goal to 1% of my body weight, although I am soon switching to 31 calories per pound of body fat mass because 1% body weight will be more than 31 calories per lb of BFM.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Lots of cardio to bulk the legs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Every weight loss/fat loss regimen will include muscle loss to an extent. To minimize it, lift with resistance up to 85% of your 1RM, eat adequate protein and don't cut calories too extremely.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • moongrinner
    moongrinner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Measure. Also, I eat tons of veggies, protein, very little carbs, lots of healthy fats. I do heavy traditional weight training 2-3x's/week, martial arts/sparring at least 3 hrs/week, and functional training with body weight and/or as heavy as I can stand at least twice a week. AND I MEASURE. Every four weeks I have a colleague measure me and use the body fat composition analysis to ensure that I am burning fat and building muscle. The scale is irrelevant. I don't care what it says, I care about my body fat %.

So ya, HAVE SOMEONE MEASURE you every month. It has to be the same person, to account for human error.

Now go tear it up :wink:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you are significantly overweight you will lose muscle mass as you lose fat because your body doesn't need the extra muscle to carry you around. That's not a bad thing. You can keep from losing too much muscle by exercising.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do the 30 DS with 3 pounds weights and eat 1000 calories a day.......oh and I do hours of elliptical.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I do the 30 DS with 3 pounds weights and eat 1000 calories a day.......oh and I do hours of elliptical.

What? But, you aren't doing prancercise? What you're doing will probably work, but it would work better if you included prancercise.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

What? But, you aren't doing prancercise? What you're doing will probably work, but it would work better if you included prancercise.

prancercise.gif
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Yeah, that will do the trick!
  • Yanicka1
    Options

I don't own white pants:frown:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

excuses.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Go on a deficit that isn't too low.. it should take long to cut so that you're not risking any major muscle loss..
  • Yanicka1
    Options

excuses.

Bully
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Lots of cardio to bulk the legs

Yes!

Never skip leg day!