Starvation mode: real, fake or a matter of opinion

Options

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hodgie, you shoulda stuck with eating cake.
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's the deal. I'm not starving myself. My caloric intake is low, but I'm not walking around hungry all the time. I eat when I'm hungry & feel satisfied when I'm done. My question about starvation mode was not a "my stomach is constantly growling" question but a "am I not losing weight faster cause my caloric intake is too low" question. I am not depriving myself at all... So, no I'm not dumb, yes I could have searched this and found 1,000 topics on it but none with my specific stats & why do people feel the need to post comments if its not helpful to the question being asked?
  • carashirley
    Options
    Oh, also, I do not feel weak or depleted. I have more energy now than I did before I started losing weight. I feel great physically & mentally.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Oh, also, I do not feel weak or depleted. I have more energy now than I did before I started losing weight. I feel great physically & mentally.

hmmm... you wont be saying this in 3 weeks... (i am 100% sure because i have been there)
  • carashirley
    Options

hmmm... you wont be saying this in 3 weeks... (i am 100% sure because i have been there)

Well its so nice to know you are 100% sure of how I will be feeling since we are all created exactly alike...
  • carashirley
    Options
    OP, i'm no expert, but this is what i've learned thus far:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stellabellamoonpie

^^^^ : ) ^^^^^

This!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If these were your numbers would you keep things like they are or would you step up the intensity to get a higher daily deficit?

You're in a 2 lbs/week groove with a great deal of weight left to lose - many here would *kill* to be in those shoes.

I would put this in the "if it ain't broke..." category and just keep on keepin' on.

Well done!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This won't end well

haha!

yes the same old road ....... its fake dear.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Fine - lets say that the effect is different for people with high body fat percentages - a 1300 calorie diet for a grown man IMHO is not safe - in fact even caloric deficit preachers limit the calorie deficit to 1800 for men and 1200 for women, which brings me to - caloric deficit is NOT the only parameter for weight loss!

For example, my caloric deficit is less than 1000 calories a day, yet for the past 5 weeks I have been loosing 4 lbs a week - according to calorie deficit math this should have only been achievable with a 2000 calorie deficit, that I assure you is not the case.

All of this is may be so, but has nothing to do with the myth that fat people can go into "starvation mode" and stop losing weight.

If you have more than 20% body fat (probably less than that, but I'll go with it conservatively) and you eat a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Period. You must. End of story.

This has nothing to do with the harm you might do by seriously undereating or not getting the correct nutrients your body needs to stay healthy.

It simply means that if you are overweight the idea that you need to eat more to lose weight (the common remedy for the so-called "starvation mode" around here) is completely false.

There are health and nutrition reasons to eat a proper diet. Avoiding "starvation mode" is not one of them for most people.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, this is one of the most valuable threads on this forum which should be read by everyone.
  • carashirley
    Options
    If these were your numbers would you keep things like they are or would you step up the intensity to get a higher daily deficit?

You're in a 2 lbs/week groove with a great deal of weight left to lose - many here would *kill* to be in those shoes.

I would put this in the "if it ain't broke..." category and just keep on keepin' on.

Well done!

Thanks!!!
  • oferb1
    Options
    In my opinion, this is one of the most valuable threads on this forum which should be read by everyone.

Great thread indeed, and I agree a must read... OP - I suggest you read it...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Aside from the metabolic changes that occur with chronic under feeding there are other health concerns and significant risks of VLCDs: gallstones (1/4 people but not always a concern), cardio issues including sudden death from ventricular tachycardia, hormonal damage to the adrenal/pituitary system, hair loss, etc... Such a large deficit cannot meet micronutrient needs of muscle repair from your exercise - you also increase the risk of exercise injury and reduce the overall benefits from your practice.
  • benlogan87
    benlogan87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How will testing your metabolism stop you putting weight back on?

If your metabolism has indeed slowed down, then your RMR will be lower than it was when you started. Which will in turn make your TDEE lower than it was. TDEE = RMR + general lifestyle calories burnt + exercise calories. Basically your maintenance figure will be lower.

In saying that, if you have gained a heap of muscle it may not have changed or in fact increased.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Sorry ben. I get irritated with students who do tests to improve their fitness. It is lazy science and I get gnarly over it.

Doing a test won't improve anything. It gives you a number, a baseline to use. But the test itself won't change anything. So testing your metabolism won't make you lose weight - as you say, you need to use the info.

I am just back in full on lecturer mode, new term has started :)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think that starvation mode is mostly a myth, except in the case of people who are literally starving (underweight and not eating anything). I think what happens for people on diets with too-low calories is that they have very little energy for exercise and they eventually can't take it anymore and binge, resulting in more calories in than out overall.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This is real!

Have a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

it is a study that was done 60 years ago in minnesota (when research was done without funding by food/diet companies) - it was a very simple experiment - take a group of men, limit them to 1500 calories a day for a period of months, and see what happens...

GAH!!!!!!!

Those people were down to single digit body fat percentages!

Most of the people around here being told to "Eat! You are in starvation mode!" are fat!

Basically, if you are over 20% body fat, you can't be in starvation mode and any calorie deficit will result in weight loss!

Now, this is only talking about weight loss. If you eat an unhealthy diet without enough nutrients for your body to function you may have other health problems besides weight loss.

But the whole "starvation mode" thing around here is when people hit a plateau they get told to eat more and for 99% of people that is not going to make you lose weight. If you are fat, a calorie deficit makes you lose weight.

Exactly.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Aside from the metabolic changes that occur with chronic under feeding there are other health concerns and significant risks of VLCDs: gallstones (1/4 people but not always a concern), cardio issues including sudden death from ventricular tachycardia, hormonal damage to the adrenal/pituitary system, hair loss, etc... Such a large deficit cannot meet micronutrient needs of muscle repair from your exercise - you also increase the risk of exercise injury and reduce the overall benefits from your practice.

Some people here think that a Very Low Calorie Diet is 1200 calories. A VLCD is defined as 800 calories or less.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Kids in Africa are on starvation mode when losing aditionall pound is a matter of death or life...we are on diet...
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Matter of opinion completely. No one person on here will know your body, your medical issues or weather or not you get enough or are lacking in something. Even we sometimes can't tell when our body is lacking in certain things

When it comes to LCDs getting a doctor on board is the smartest thing anyone can do as they will make sure you are getting what your body needs and they will be looking out for you! That's why I trust my GP over the opinions we see here. And I always will.

If you trust a GP for your nutritional and exercise advice, then you're ignorant. They know next to nothing about the subject. Good luck with that.