Picky eaters?????

Options
Okay so I am what you would call a picky eater. Though not as bad as my husband. I would love to eat salads and have tried several times with several different greens, veggies and dressings. It just aint gonna happen. What do you eat if you are a picky eater.

Replies

• ixmardukxi
    Options
    I'm not a picky eater so i can't say for sure, but perhaps you could resort to supplementation if you can't stand veggies, not even sure if that possible to be quite honest, you can do your research though
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Have you tried this simple and super delicious salad? Chop cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley or/and dill, a bit of salt, a bit of oil and a bit of vinegar. Super yummy, easy, and healthy:)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Casseroles-dump a bunch of veggies in with ingredients you really like and bake.

Puree veggies and mix into other things-marinara sauces, even mashed potatoes.

Try roasting the veggies. That can make all the difference in the world.

Soup.

Try eating salads when you go out to eat prior to the main course to work on developing the taste for them.

Green smoothies, but only if you have a decent blender or you'll hate it.

Look up dessert recipes for veggies like butternut squash or sweet potatoes; alternately, turn either of those into fries. Check out kale chips.

Stirfries are your friend.

I love noodle dishes with veggies and salad dressing stirred in.

I'm sure this is personal preference, but veggie foods traditional to the middle eastern culture are fabulous.

Finally, wraps. Wrap up some veggies and beans, add a little rice or quinoa, mustard. Heat and enjoy. If you want or need some fats, add some cheese or mayo or avocado or guac.

Nothing wrong with a really good sammich or sub, either. Veggies are still veggies no matter how delivered.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Casseroles-dump a bunch of veggies in with ingredients you really like and bake.

Puree veggies and mix into other things-marinara sauces, even mashed potatoes.

Try roasting the veggies. That can make all the difference in the world.

Soup.

Try eating salads when you go out to eat prior to the main course to work on developing the taste for them.

Green smoothies, but only if you have a decent blender or you'll hate it.

Look up dessert recipes for veggies like butternut squash or sweet potatoes; alternately, turn either of those into fries. Check out kale chips.

Stirfries are your friend.

I love noodle dishes with veggies and salad dressing stirred in.

I'm sure this is personal preference, but veggie foods traditional to the middle eastern culture are fabulous.

Finally, wraps. Wrap up some veggies and beans, add a little rice or quinoa, mustard. Heat and enjoy. If you want or need some fats, add some cheese or mayo or avocado or guac.

Nothing wrong with a really good sammich or sub, either. Veggies are still veggies no matter how delivered.

Hmm, veggies are veggies no matter how they are delivered, yea they don't turn into cookies(lol) but if you take bunch of broccoli and pour nacho cheese over it, it defeats the whole purpose of eating veggies.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Hmm, veggies are veggies no matter how they are delivered, yea they don't turn into cookies(lol) but if you take bunch of broccoli and pour nacho cheese over it, it defeats the whole purpose of eating veggies.

Not at all. Many veggies absorb better when eaten with fats. If the person has room for the cheese, why not? I never thought of nacho cheese on broccoli. Great idea! There are jars of vegan cheese with 150 calories for the whole jar.

Which reminds me of another recipe--rice, beans, tons of grilled peppers and onions, salsa, guac or other toppings.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options

Not at all. Many veggies absorb better when eaten with fats. If the person has room for the cheese, why not? I never thought of nacho cheese on broccoli. Great idea! There are jars of vegan cheese with 150 calories for the whole jar.

Really? But not when cheese is dripping of off veggies. I always remember scene from Desperate Housewives, season 5, when Carlos decided to feed daughters brussel sprouts and kept putting tons of melted nacho cheese on it. It looked like it was nacho cheese with veggies not vice versa.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Really, vegetables have lots of nutritional benefits you can't get from other foods. But you don't have to like salads, that's just one thing.

OP, have you ever eaten vegetables? I really want to say, "Suck it up, you're a married adult woman, learn to eat them."

I agree with flaxmilk, add cheese sauce, butter, parmesan, creamy soup mix, whatever it takes to start learning to eat them. Just add what you do like, potatoes, corn, tomatoes, cucumber - whatever you like. Doesn't have to be salad.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Really? But not when cheese is dripping of off veggies. I always remember scene from Desperate Housewives, season 5, when Carlos decided to feed daughters brussel sprouts and kept putting tons of melted nacho cheese on it. It looked like it was nacho cheese with veggies not vice versa.

It all comes down to the individual's goals, macros, and overall health. If her health is good, she has room for it in her calories, and it gets more veggies in her, no harm. The nice part about cheese is that in most of these recipes, it's optional or can be customized to the amount appropriate for the person.

Right now, I'm on a lot of medical restrictions and am short. My cheese (90 calories per .25 cup) would be a luxury topping for me because my calories to lose or avoid gaining or pitiful right now. But someone able to be more active or just has more calories could afford 2-3 times that much. I don't know much about the normal cheese world, just veggie cheese, so I'd say I have no input on what makes different cheeses more or less "healthy" if someone is watching that. (I don't think there's any real health points in vegan cheese, just the taste. I just bought nutritional yeast to try to do some more of my own cooking rather than spending so much on substitutes. Derail ...)
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    There are jars of vegan cheese with 150 calories for the whole jar.

I will have to be on the look-out for these next time I'm at Whole Foods.
  • LadyKaie
    Options
    Salads are what you make of them. Not all lettuces are the same, nor do all salads need lettuce.
    Greek salads are typically cucumber, onions, tomatoe, olives and feta cheese with a lemon basil dressing.
    Have you tried marinating broccoli, carrots and muchrooms in italian herbed dressing?
    Try fresh strawberries, mandarin orange slices and goat cheese on a bed of fresh spinach with poppyseed dressing.
    Have you tried adding pumpkin seeds and apples to coleslaw?
    I like softer lettuces for sandwiches, (green leaf or red leaf), but sweet crispy iceburg lettuce is good with sweet vegetables like carrots and alfalfa sprouts with a spiced vinegar dressing.
    Slightly bitter lettuces, like romaine are good with strong cheeses and lemon.
    There is a host of awesome ideas to suit every palate and plate. Check out your supermarket's deli counter for ideas that you can sample in small quantities to see what works for you.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

I will have to be on the look-out for these next time I'm at Whole Foods.

I've only found them online. The brand is Mama's or something like that. It's not exactly the same but it's not bad.
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Start out small, with a few bites each time every few days.

I've sort of trained myself to like a few different foods this way, by introducing small amounts and not giving up on it even though they may not taste that great at first.

Also, try roasting vegetables.I still don't like many steamed vegetables, but give me a plate of roasted veggies with a little lemon juice and I'm all over it. :love: Look up different recipes for certain types of vegetables and see if you find anything that sounds good (or at least tolerable) to you.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Oh ok, thanks for the info, Flax.
  • bhannana
    bhannana Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    yea they don't turn into cookies(lol)

true, but my mom makes an amazing chocolate cake with a bunch of shredded zucchini "hidden" in it. about half the calories of regular cake and soooo good. My dad had no idea until she told him!

Zucchini chips are a great way to eat a bunch of squash - they really taste like chips when done right.

I used to hide tons of veggies in casseroles, soups (either pureed or cut small), and even veggie tempura is a great place to start. I agree with the person who said start by adding veggies to things you already like.

Parenting forums have lots of good info too on how to get picky kids to eat veggies. You aren't a kid but you could always apply the tips to yourself :) Like adding an exercise program to your life, adding foods you don't normally eat can take some getting used to.
  • bluejeansarah
    bluejeansarah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm also a picky eater and I feel your pain OP!

I've gotten to a point where I am adventurous and will try new foods if they have -gasp!- veggies on it that I would never have touched even just 5 years ago. I do, however, still stick to the same foods and veggies that I like and sometimes it's forcing myself to eat those foods I really don't like (peppers are a big one, I have a hard time liking all kinds of peppers!). I suggest trying lots of different veggies different ways. Sneak shredded veggies into something simple like a homemade mac n' cheese (zucchini, carrots or cauliflower works great here!). Find veggies you like and try them different ways.

Remind yourself that you have to train your body to like new foods and that you won't automatically like something the first time you try it. I read something once that said that it takes your body multiple tries to like a new food. So don't give up the first time you try it! Keep trying. And keep sneaking the foods you may not always go for into foods you would!
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    Thanx everyone so far. I love some of your ideas. I especially like the whole sneaking them into the meals. Ex. I snuck black beans inside turkey burgers the other day and my husband actually loved them. I also snuck in some spinach, mushrooms, into the kids tortellini alfredo with broccoli and they wanted seconds. Haha at first they all made faces at it and then they all loved it. I guess I should have been more specific too. I do eat veggies. I just don't do salads or a lot of raw veggies. I have talked to a bunch of people who have told me some of their success came from eating salads for their meals. Which is what brought me to my question. I would love to have the same successful weight loss as them, but not by eating salads.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Thanx everyone so far. I love some of your ideas. I especially like the whole sneaking them into the meals. Ex. I snuck black beans inside turkey burgers the other day and my husband actually loved them. I also snuck in some spinach, mushrooms, into the kids tortellini alfredo with broccoli and they wanted seconds. Haha at first they all made faces at it and then they all loved it. I guess I should have been more specific too. I do eat veggies. I just don't do salads or a lot of raw veggies. I have talked to a bunch of people who have told me some of their success came from eating salads for their meals. Which is what brought me to my question. I would love to have the same successful weight loss as them, but not by eating salads.

There's no reason to eat salads as meals unless you enjoy them. The only raw veggies I personally enjoy routinely are carrots, peppers and carrots dipped in hummus. Other than that, I like salads, but only some of the time (or salads that I can't get away with eating daily because they would take up too much room.)
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm picky when it comes to meat. I do not like cheap meat of any kind. Or fish.

These days though, due to having a vegetarian girlfriend, I don't eat much meat. She refuses to cook it, and she is a good cook, so I'm usually content eating whatever vegetarian food it is she has cooked!

As far as fruit and veg go, I'm not all that picky.

It is what it is.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I can't particularly stand salads either. Love veggies buy themselves though usually. Boiled green beans or steamer bags of broccli or broccli and cauliflower. Maybe try the ones with cheese sauce. Or boiled cabbage. Pretty much any of those with some salt tastes great with some chicken or some meat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options

You know, I understand this.

Some things are about texture. Raw salad greens have a texture against teeth that can be off-putting.

Me? I don't like, won't like, you can't make me like cooked okra or raw mushrooms.

When I was in my teens and twenties pretty much all vegetables were on my "no" list. I think part of that was rebellion against my mother. What I would eat was one of the very few things over which I had any control while living with her. As I got older I decided that my health and general enjoyment of life was more important than not eating what mom said. Now I love all the vegetables.