How to Make No-Fat, Plain Greek Yogurt NOT Taste Like Chalk

Options
2»

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have just started eating Bircher Muslie with youghurt as a meal at work. When I am off nights it may become a breakfast food. I eat it as soon as I've added the youghurt, but I don't like soggy foods. It's not that low on calories though, but keeps me going from 3:30 am till sometimes in the afternoon when I wake up.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with a ribeye.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Why fat free? I get the whole milk Oikos stuff. Add a spoon full of strawberry preserves and its almost a meal.

Should be around 215 calories per cup vs 160ish for the fat free stuff. Bonus: It doesn't taste like chalk ;)

Basically this -- unless you have a heath issue that requires a very low fat diet, I see no reason not to eat full fat dairy because the taste/texture difference is so substantial.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I eat Fage Total 0%. I can't say it takes chalky at all. However, it's also not particularly delicious (to me) on its own. I eat it with about 1/2 teaspoon honey and berries on top (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and/or blackberries). With all of that, it tastes fine.
    Why fat free?
    Can't speak for the OP, but for me - I have nothing against eating fat, but Greek yoghurt is something I eat for the protein, not for the enjoyment, and the fat free stuff has a higher proportion of protein.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Add some Nutella!!

YUP.

6oz. of plain greek yogurt (I actually like the fat free because I think it's fluffier)
    1.5 tbsp Nutella
    Sliced Strawberries

Stir well and eat.
    YUM.

Edited to add that I just realized this thread is old. Still, Nutella is always relevant.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I like fresh fruit, no-sugar-added all-fruit jam, cocoa powder, flavorful granola...
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    have you tried it *savoury* style...I use plain greek yogurt and make taziki out of it...its soooo good.

take your container of yogurt and *strain* it thru a coffee filter and a small mesh strainer. let it sit a few hours and y ou will be surprised how much liquid drains off.
    Once it drains ,l take the yogurt and add one crushed and finely minced clove of fresh garlic,,,,,some chopped up mint (either fresh or dried) some dried dill,,,,and then i grate a cucumber into the strainer and squeeze all the juice from it...pop that into the yogurt and mix it all up well. \Let it sit over night and you have a great spread for chicken,,,,or put it on a baked potato,,,,use it as a veggie dip,,,,
    so manyyyyy uses for this.

Sounds good. Are you using regular or Greek-style yogurt? Just curious, only because the Greek-style is much thicker and "dryer" and maybe you could skip the draining step if you felt like it.

I'm going to try your recipe! Thanks for sharing.

ETA: In for the ancient thread lol
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow!
  • caitlindoyle120689
    Options
    I add fresh berries and granola! It is so yummy!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I love adding bananas with cinnamon, sf maple syrup then granola, sometime peanut butter as well.
    Also blueberries with honey,vanilla, and granola. I've tried the duncan hines flavor creations but I dont like any of the flavours.
    I love making cookie dough greek yogurt, its so satisfying. I also enjoy chopping up an apple and mixing it with cinnamon, honey, and splenda brown sugar. Let that sit in the fridge for an hour then mix with greek yogurt, splenda, vanilla, granola and top with sf maple syrup. Taste like apple pie or apple crisp.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I add some peanut butter, cinnamon, and whey protein (6oz yogurt, 2Tbsp PB, .5 scoop protein, however much cinnamon I want). Depending on the PB you use, it has quite a bit of protein, taste great, pretty filling, and has some good fat in it. Usually eat it after I hike to bring my calories up for the day (I think it's around 400 cals).

Also, I've noticed its much easier to mix PB with whey protein (usually the whey just clumps up in milk, yogurt, etc), but with PB it mixes very well.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I put one packet of splenda, a splash of real vanilla extract, and whatever fruit I have on hand. Sliced nectarines, strawberries or other berries are the best. If I'm short on time or fruit, I just add no sugar added berry preserves which is delicious too.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt that has no gelatin or cornstarch in it to thicken it. Real yogurt, not bland pudding equivalent that yes, tastes chalky or starchy. I get as full fat yogurt as I can get it, sharp and tangy and thick. And I add a drizzle of honey or a dollop of marmalade, or sometimes a little scoop of hot chocolate powder. I love making my own yogurt so it's just milk and probiotics, and whatever yummy goodness I add later.

Sacrifice something like creamer in your coffee for the few extra calories, and get the good stuff.
  • ash12783
    ash12783 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I LOVE adding in some honey, a serving of light whipped cream, fresh sliced strawberries, and some sort of crushed nuts (usually pecans, almonds, or walnuts) - i layer it all in a fancy wine glass topped with a whole strawberry and drizzled with a very tiny amt of honey- it looks like it came out of a magazine and tastes amazing!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've never thought it tasted like chalk...more like thick sour cream to me, lol.

I add 1 full scoop of chocolate protein powder and sliced strawberries. It tastes like a chocolate mousse (with strawberries, of course!).

I'm going to have to try some of these other recipes, though. I'm always looking for something new to try, and I like to bring Greek yogurt to work as a snack.