If your dog died & you got another would it be same breed?

Options
One of our dogs recently passed away and it was pretty tragic since he'd been battling cancer. It has been a couple months now and we feel ready to get a new dog, not to replace the other, but to fill a void and keep our other dog company. We love the breed that our deceased dog was however we also have our skepticisms about getting the same breed again. I'm not asking you to decide for us what to do, but I'm just curious-
What would you do? Or what have you done if you have experience with this?
Would you get another dog of that same breed or would you explore another of the 174 breeds there are to choose from? :)

Replies

• the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I'd get the same breed. I've only owned one breed of dog, Golden Retriever, my entire life. Couldn't really see myself with any other breed of dog.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'd get the same breed. I've only owned one breed of dog, Golden Retriever, my entire life. Couldn't really see myself with any other breed of dog.
    Exactly! Bumping this for more answers. :smile:
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'd get different breed. I have a lhasa apso now, but my next dog will be a dogo argentino.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Whenever we need a new dog we got to the shelter and honestly the dog kind of picks us. It is an amazing feeling when you connect to them. It is sad because I would like to take them all. Breed isnt all that important to me, it is size and how well we connect. Right now I have a 14 yr old Beagle/border Collie mix who has seen better days and a 3 yr old maltiese and poodle mix. Both from the shelter. Best dogs in the world.

save_a_life_adopt_a_shelter_pet-300x300.jpg

Edit for cute pic
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    if our dog died, I wouldn't get another one, I know that sounds bad but I'm just not a dog person like I used to be and I don't have enough time to give them the attention they need either
  • sfdf40
    sfdf40 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would go to the nearest shelter and look at all the available MUTTS.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I would get the same breed. I had been given an English springer spaniel and ended up with another. I had not ever seen them before, have never seen anyone in my area still with them but love them so, when they do get old and pass on, I may wait a while but wouldn't hesitate to get this breed again, they are so wonderful.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It depends.

I don't think I'd ever find another Lab like the one I have so I may not get that breed again.

But I will always own a German Shepherd.

ETA - I also have two Shepherds that are pretty different so I don't think the comparasion would be as much of an issue.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    No I couldn't help but think I would compare
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Personalities, character traits, exercise requirements, trainability are all things that run true to breed (for the most part, there are exceptions, of course) and are what people look toward when choosing a dog. Select a breed with the traits you desire, then a dog with the personality you're looking for. They are not clones, it won't be the same as your old dog.

ETA: I am absolutely all for shelter dogs, as well. Just be aware of breed traits. If you are partial to a particular breed, a rescue may be a wonderful choice, too.
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get another Beagle or Shiba Inu. I feel like my dogs have such distinct personalities and I guess I attribute much of that to the breed. Another dog of the same breed just can't replace the hole in my heart that I would have if one of my dogs passed away. I would get an Akita, Lab, Husky, or Retriever. As a previous poster said, I just couldn't help but compare my new dog to my old dog. I'd want them to be completely different.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    [/quote this
    Its howvi got my lab
  • iamwilso
    iamwilso Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Never owned anything but border collies
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Same - I love the dogs I have but I always find mutts have less health problems - and of course the shelters are packed with dogs who need homes.

That said - I have an english bulldog now and would def be open to another bulldog - very unique personalities.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    When my lab died I didn't want another dog but my husband did. 6 months later I was ready too but decided not to go with another breed (he was looking at Border Collies and others. We went back to a Labrador, very different temperament
    but just as lovable. There are so many that need homes, but I'm glad we found ours and he's 3 now.
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes! I LOVE our dog. But I have a feeling his breed might be hard to come by as we took a chance with him and I've never seen another dog like him! He's a Sharpei, Golden Lab/Pitbull mix. Smartest dog we've ever owned and super loyal.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    We just went through this and replaced our 13-year-old Dachshund with another one. Our new baby is a rescue that is 6 years-old and such a cutie!
  • ribc4ges
    Options
    I would, yes. Kelpies are my favourite dogs and they all have such beautiful different personalities. Either than or I'd get a golden retriever.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Our yorkie passed in February and we still don't feel ready for another one yet. We still have our shih Tzu who is almost 12. I've always wanted a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel but I don't know. There are so many shelter dogs that need adoption, that I think I will probably go there and let one or two steal my heart (it will have to be small dogs).

To me there will only be one yorkie and that was my Gabby girl. She was the dog that gave me the will to live at a time when I felt I couldn't go on (before we got our shih Tzu, Sadie girl).

So to answer your question, for me it would be a no. Everyone is different.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I think it's really up to you and your family.

When I had to put down my dogs in my twenties (litter mates, suffering from seizures, and lost control of their bowels), that I had since puppy days, back when I was 11, I did not know if I'd ever be able to have dogs again. They were brussels griffons and super cute. That happened in the summertime.

Later that year, around Christmas time, someone abandoned two chow chow *****es in our front yard. They were dumped on the corner of a 'well to do' neighborhood, and we were the corner house, so the poor things were hiding in our bushes. We took care of them for a few days and got them to a shelter because they would get so big when they grew up, but I loved those little fluffy bears. I called the shelter continuously to check on their adoptions, and they both got adopted on the same day. <3

I learned that I could really love any kind of dog, big or small. Dogs are such great animals. The next family dog was a black schnauzer. :) She's getting up there in years, but I love to visit her whenever I'm at my folks' house.

If you want the same kind of breed, you should go for it. It's not replacing your pet. It's adding a pet to your family.