Cabbage-beyond soup and slaw

Options

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    braised just enough to wilt it and then hot olive oil, garlic and balsamic... YUM!

I also make kimchi with it (fermented spicy cabbage) but that takes a while and you get a LOT lol.
  • SHINDY12
    Options
    Bump
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    super simple, slice cabbage into a baking pan, pour in a little chicken broth or water, sprinkle with spices you like, my favorite is the yellow mrs dash, put a couple of bacon slices on top, cover with foil and bake till tender. I am thinking around 1/2 an hour but you may want to test and make sure it is the way you like it.
  • EliDC
    EliDC Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely delicious: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2012/11/12/lightened-up-pad-thai-for-two/

Lightened Up Pad Thai for Two

1 tablespoon sesame oil
    6 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
    1 ½ cups mushrooms, chopped (any kind)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 ounce salted dry roasted peanuts, chopped
    2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or Thai basil, chopped

Set a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring frequently, for 7-10 minutes, or until tender-crisp.
    Add mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes, until softened.
    Add garlic, soy sauce, and sugar and stir well to combine.
    Add eggs and stir constantly, scrambling them into the hot cabbage mixture.
    Serve immediately, topped with the peanuts and cilantro or Thai basil.

Nutrition Info for 1 Serving: Calories: 319, Fat: 20g, Carb: 25g, Fiber: 8g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 17g
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    braised just enough to wilt it and then hot olive oil, garlic and balsamic... YUM!

I also make kimchi with it (fermented spicy cabbage) but that takes a while and you get a LOT lol.

Now are you talking about Nappa cabbage or do you make your kimchi with regular? If regular, do you make it the same way?
  • highervibes
    Options

Now are you talking about Nappa cabbage or do you make your kimchi with regular? If regular, do you make it the same way?

Sorry the first recipe was with regular cabbage, the kimchi with Nappa cabbage! Should have specified, sorry!
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I love to stir fry it with lots of garlic and soy sauce mmmmm
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Steamed till just soft, add to leeks and mushrooms, saute till soft then add some cooked quinoa and add seasoning/soy/maggi/whatever you like.
    Filling and yum.But low cal.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Oh, I loves me some golumki! 100% Polish American heritage here, and as a result, no matter how much weight I lose, I will always have cankles!
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Slice it thin with an onion, put on cookie sheet, spray with olive oil spray or pam and roast at 425 for about 30-40 minutes. It is awesome!!!!!
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Cut a head into wedges and slather a bit of butter or olive oil, S&P, onion salt, spice blend, whatever spices you want on each wedge on aluminum foil, wrap it up and bake or grill it. I turn it over after 10 or 15 minutes and test for doneness by stabbing it with a skewer to make sure it's soft enough. The outter pieces get nicely browned and are the best.
  • highervibes
    Options
    Cut a head into wedges and slather a bit of butter or olive oil, S&P, onion salt, spice blend, whatever spices you want on each wedge on aluminum foil, wrap it up and bake or grill it. I turn it over after 10 or 15 minutes and test for doneness by stabbing it with a skewer to make sure it's soft enough. The outter pieces get nicely browned and are the best.

this sounds divine!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I think I need more cabbage in my life...

I'm going to add kimchee to this list!
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Crockpot unstuffed cabbage! Head of cabbage, sliced/shredded, ground turkey (browned), onion, garlic, can of tomatoes (sauce, stewed, chunks, doesn't matter, get creative!), brown rice + seasoning of choice. YUM
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try a Green cabbage and apple saute tomorrow. I have 3 apple trees that are ready for harvest......

http://www.food.com/recipe/green-cabbage-and-apple-saut-134043?scaleto=2&mode=null&st=true
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    this list made me realize it may be time to load up on cabbage....everybody ought to bump this list....

Definitely agree!! And it's so low calorie!
  • sweetpickle1004
    sweetpickle1004 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/colcannon/

Colcannon. My fave. I make them into a round shape and pan fry them to get the outside crispy.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Slice it thin with an onion, put on cookie sheet, spray with olive oil spray or pam and roast at 425 for about 30-40 minutes. It is awesome!!!!!

I've been wondering about this. My favorite way of cooking brussels sprouts is roasted, and what is cabbage but a huge brussels sprout? (more or less...) If it's like roasted brussels sprouts, garlic and paprika are tasty spices to add.