Puppies/Dogs!- Running

Options
BonnieandClyde29
BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
I love my dog!!! Anyone want to share pics of their dogs? I have an Akita & Pitbull mix on my profile, never met anyone that had an Akita!!! If I knew how to post my picture on here of him I would!!!

Also do you run with your dogs? Mine is a year and 5 months, and he still gives me a hard time when I walk him sometimes so I'm a little hesitant to have him run with me, anyone have any insight to this?

Also,I want to see pics!!! I love dogs!!!

Replies

• feitian
    feitian Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dog, but have been thinking of getting one. How often would you walk/run with your dog? Has it helped those with dogs further their fitness goals?
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    Well I like taking him to the dog park or for a run because he is at home so much.. I walk him once every 8 hours, and he can hold it to go to the bathroom worse case scenario like 12 hours, but I don't like to do that to him unless it's an emergency....I used to take him running when he was smaller, but he is 70 lbs now and gets distracted really easily, but running is good for their health!!!
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have a husky mix named Sara - she will walk and hike all day but is not a good runner, she just gets too hot
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :heart: My standard poodle. I don't run with him - he's kinda old and I don't want to kill him.

c1e20ae9-4d80-47f4-983f-7cc8912bc474_zps97cc2784.jpg
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    :heart: My standard poodle. I don't run with him - he's kinda old and I don't want to kill him.

c1e20ae9-4d80-47f4-983f-7cc8912bc474_zps97cc2784.jpg

awww!!! he's adorable!!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    I have a husky mix named Sara - she will walk and hike all day but is not a good runner, she just gets too hot

I live in FL so I know it gets hot, but I usually like to run at night when it's more cool outside
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    dog.jpg

This is Delnicka. She's a Chihuahua mix.

dog2.jpg

This is her litter mate Kruczek.

I love my babies but no I don't run with them. I could probably try it, but they're so little I don't know that once I got better they would be able to keep up. I used to like running with my mom's 40 lb sheltie/lab mix. She wasn't very good at it at first, but she got much better after a while.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dog of my own but I sometimes take my partner's cocker spaniel for a run but I don't really like doing it. He loves it though. The problem is that I don't trust him to follow my commands at all times, so usually I walk him on the lead but I can't run with a lead in my hand. My partner always takes him out when he goes for a run and after 45min the dog is super tired ;-)
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you are considering running with a young dog please remember their bones often don't calcify till 18 months old so repetitive sustained impact can cause them joint damage. After 18 months it should be fine.

I took my golden retriever running last night, he's just 18 months and doesn't have much stamina, bless him. He slept well after though!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    If you are considering running with a young dog please remember their bones often don't calcify till 18 months old so repetitive sustained impact can cause them joint damage. After 18 months it should be fine.

I took my golden retriever running last night, he's just 18 months and doesn't have much stamina, bless him. He slept well after though!

awww yeah that is good to know!!! Mine is 17 months now, and I mostly take him to the park to run around and socialize, but I just feel bad, my husband and I have been stuck working longer hours and I know he has a lot of crazy pent up energy so we walk him 20-30 mins 3 times a day and the park at least once a week
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    @rtuck- what cuties!!!!
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

awww yeah that is good to know!!! Mine is 17 months now, and I mostly take him to the park to run around and socialize, but I just feel bad, my husband and I have been stuck working longer hours and I know he has a lot of crazy pent up energy so we walk him 20-30 mins 3 times a day and the park at least once a week

we do loads of walks and playing during the day as I'm a stay at home mum. I like to take him on a long walk to the woods. He bounds around like a loon and goes swimming and meets other dogs off the lead. And sometimes rolls in fox poo :|. He really enjoys himself on those.

i just had to laugh last night because he was really enthusiastic for the first mile and then his pace just started ebbing so i was having to jolly him along every few seconds. Poor dog!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    lol awww poor thing haha
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    pic of my dog is in my pics..cant run with her because id end up dragging her she's part yorkie so that means terrier and they were used for hunting rats. so she sniffs EVERYTHING.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have 4 dogs, but only take one of them running with me. He's a high energy golden and even at almost 8 years old, acts like a puppy and literally jumps straight up and down when he sees me putting my running clothes on. I have a leash that goes around my waist and a bungee like leash on him. He runs beautifully next to me!