I don't like water

Options
I just cannot seem to drink gallons of water. I try but I'm never thirsty and I never crave water. Those flavored waters, the Crystal Light, the Mio stuff.. all taste good but wreak havoc on my bladder. Should I just drink as much water as I can stand and call it a day?

Replies

• Tiffysinsanity
    Tiffysinsanity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, Drink as much as you can. Don't just not drink it. It's something your body needs.
  • CaliMom126
    CaliMom126 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i was you. i was a diet coke addict. water gagged me. i went cold turkey. a 20 or 24 ounce insulated cup with a lid and a straw. fill with ice. then fill with water. start out with maybe 5 good sips at a time. or less if you can't do 5. then work your way up. the straw is key for me, still. that was a few years ago. haven't had a diet coke since, and i drink at least 2 of the big cups a day at work now, and then another one or two at home. you end up having to pee a lot though. it's annoying. still. but now i crave water!! good luck.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    TMI perhaps, but what exactly does it do to your bladder? I'm curious b/c I use them quite often.

Have you tried putting lemon, lime, orange (or whatever you like) in your water? My mom used to cut up some lemons and put them in a pitcher of water over night. It helped her drink more. Also, I've found I just drink water out of habit now. Try to drink 8oz right when you wake up, 8oz by 9 am, 8 more by noon, so on and so forth.
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat tap water is horrible......here is what has worked for me.

Distlled water taste great imho 99 cents a gallon at Walgreens
    Lemon Juice or LIme Juice added to tap water or distilled water taste great, and if you close your eyes and imagine real hard it taste like soda.
    Add Stevia extract! Then it really taste like soda is low cal and helps you meet your fluid requirements!
  • PudgyQ
    PudgyQ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree, I never drank a lot of water but once you stick to it, you crave it! I buy fresh lemons and put a slice in my water to help me drink more. That really helps!
    And the more you drink, it seems your body gets used to it and you have to pee less. At least that is for me. :) Good luck!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever fluid you like. Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you aren't.

Water isn't magic, it's just calorie free.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Three of my doctors (women's health, pcp, and diebtic educator) all said it's not good to drink too much water all at once. You need to drink it through out the day. I can't remember why because it's been a year or so but it stuck with me.

My mom also would put lemon in her water. Now she can drink water with no problem.
  • justlast
    Options
    in the hot months, i love brewing a big batch of mint tea and sticking it in the freezer/fridge for a couple of hours, then pouring however much i want out at a time. i've gotten to where i just pour it into a smartwater bottle and use it when i exercise!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Drink it anyway :)
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I used to never drink any water -- my habit was Coke Zero -- I would have two or three a day, plus my morning coffee.

Now I don't drink any Coke Zero or coffee. (I realized I didn't particularly like coffee as much as the sugar and flavored creamer) I purchased a water cooler for the kitchen and have to replace the five gallon water jug on it twice a week. The whole family is drinking so much more water now. I REALLY like ICE cold water -- I bought a Tervis Tumbler and it keeps the water cold for hours with the ice. I carry my water bottle with me everywhere I go and sip all day long. I probably drink close to a gallon a day. I do spend a lot of time in the bathroom, but I am well hydrated and it helps me lose weight consistently more than anything else I think.
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The more water the better! Believe it or not, once your body gets used to having enough water in it- you will start to crave water and hopefully fall in love. :D

The more you intake, the less your body holds onto, the more toxins it can release, the better you will feel! I know water isn't the most tasty but your body is something like 80% water, so image you are a car (yes a car reference), you need fuel to work. Now what type of fuel you put into your body will determine not only how well your car runs, but how long it will run.

I hopes this is helpful to you!

~Glynis
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    TMI perhaps, but what exactly does it do to your bladder? I'm curious b/c I use them quite often.

Have you tried putting lemon, lime, orange (or whatever you like) in your water? My mom used to cut up some lemons and put them in a pitcher of water over night. It helped her drink more. Also, I've found I just drink water out of habit now. Try to drink 8oz right when you wake up, 8oz by 9 am, 8 more by noon, so on and so forth.

Those sweet additions drinks make me have to urgently pee. And sometimes to the point where I feel like I might pee in my pants. I am not a fan of peeing myself, so I avoid them like the plague. I've cut up lemons and limes, but my throat gets sore.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The more water the better! Believe it or not, once your body gets used to having enough water in it- you will start to crave water and hopefully fall in love. :D

The more you intake, the less your body holds onto, the more toxins it can release, the better you will feel! I know water isn't the most tasty but your body is something like 80% water, so image you are a car (yes a car reference), you need fuel to work. Now what type of fuel you put into your body will determine not only how well your car runs, but how long it will run.

I hopes this is helpful to you!

~Glynis
    Again. Water isn't magic. More is not better. As long as you are sufficiently hydrated, your body performs optimally. It's also extremely efficient at filtering and absorbing water from ALL sources, whether it's from food, soda, or juice.

Drinking tons of water doesn't release retained water, and doesn't release toxins. When you drink a ton of water and then have to go to the bathroom more often, it's because your body is just dumping the water you forced yourself to drink without absorbing or making use of it. It's just wasted water.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    1) Put the kettle on
    2) Add resulting water to teabags
    3) Splash of milk if required
    4) Cup of tea. Like water, but tastier.

(substitute for whatever brown warm drink is customary in your country - I'm British)
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    crystal light.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think that "drink gallons of water" is beeswax. Drink enough water (or any drinks) to stay hydrated, and don't force yourself to drink any more, no point, unless your goal is to spend half a day in a bathroom or, in extreme case, damage your kidneys. Myself, I can always tell by my lips if I'm well hydrated.
  • noura80
    Options
    I'm like you, I hate water. But where I'm from we don't drink water from taps, only bottled water. What I did is try different brands of water that I seem to like the best (for me it's Evian, yeah its expensive but tastes awsome and makes me drink even more). I found out another option to stay hydrated is natural coconut water with the no sugar. drink almost two of them each day!! I love me coconut water :drool:
  • feitian
    feitian Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would add a slice of lemon in your glass of water or some fruit in a water bottle. There are many brands out there now with a separate section to hold the fruit and water on top. Adds slight taste to water without adding a lot of sugar or sweetness.
  • HolyPeas
    Options
    Yeah, nurse here. People are ridiculous about water. There is ZERO real reason to drink gallons of water a day unless you are some kind of pro athlete or doing hard labor in 110 degree heat.

You need to drink some, honestly I shoot for 64 ounces which is two water bottles full for me and that is good enough. I use lime juice.

Drinking water alone is not going to somehow magically make you shed more weight, contrary to popular belief, and in most cases, the opposite is true. Over hydration is just going to make you heavier than you should be on the scale and throw your electrolytes out of balance.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I grew up on rainwater, and the taste of tap water to me is so so strong I can't swallow it unless I'm dying of thirst. Distilled is easy for me though. I like a bit of lemon in it, some ice and a straw if I'm home, sometimes even some frozen raspberries. It's easy to sip away and refill. And when I'm out and about, I always make sure I have a fresh bottle of water on me to sip as I run around; it saves me a tonne of money, and I use it more than I think I would. I don't obsess over getting enough in, I just make sure I'm not replacing water with other drinks 24/7.