Polar ft4 problems

Options
I purchase my polar ft4 less than a month ago I have had nothing but problems since I received in the mail from Amazon. The problems is "check heart rate transmitter!. I have received a new transmitter from polar and the same thing happen again. Then I mailed my Polar ft4 to Polar for repair. I just received my repair Polar ft4 and quess what it say "check heart rate transmitter!". I am at a lost am I doing something wrong? can someone please give me some advice. Please.

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I have had mine for about 6 months and am having the same issues. I have washed the strap and replaced both batteries and i am still having issues.

Sorry, i wish i could help but don't have a clue what else to try.

Anybody else having issues or know what else to try?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I occasionally get this problem, and the following 2 things are what solve it for me, every time:

- add more water to the strap (sometimes it's not wet enough)
    - tighten the strap (it needs to be quite snug to make proper contact with your skin)
  • asbjrc427
    asbjrc427 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was getting this same error (FT7 though) yesterday, and it was only my second day using mine. I put more water on, and that didn't help. Then I realized that the little flap of fabric that goes underneath where it buckles was flipped over and covering part of the sensor strip. I flipped it the other way, so it was going under the buckle instead (technically it's not a buckle, but whatever that thing is called) and it worked fine after that. Have you checked that?
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I occasionally get this problem, and the following 2 things are what solve it for me, every time:

- tighten the strap (it needs to be quite snug to make proper contact with your skin)

I second this.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The only time I had that issue was when I was trying to get the app on my phone and ipad to connect with the transmitter, which it can not do (I later realized, because it does not have blue tooth capability). The ft4 is a pretty basic model. It is a good beginner HR monitor. It does not communicate with any app. Just the strap to the watch.
  • slimteddy
    slimteddy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to think it must me, because I have the band so tight it's cutting in my skin and I have washed the band wet my skin and the band where water is dripping. Nothing seems to work, I am so frustrated with this. I have been waiting on this polar for a very long time. Now that I have It, it's not working for me. I really do not know what else to do beside sending it back for a refund.
  • SarahLou1111
    Options
    I have the same problem with mine...it Is only a couple of months old! I will try the label under the "buckle" thing and see if that helps...that will be the last resort for me!

Very frustrating as I eat back a proportion of my exercise calories!!
  • sloNsteady
    sloNsteady Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    third.
  • Owligator
    Owligator Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nothing more frustrating then when this happens.. I usually just wet my hand and try to slide it under the strap, works for me.
  • raeganjayne15
    Options

This fixes all my problems also!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to think it must me, because I have the band so tight it's cutting in my skin and I have washed the band wet my skin and the band where water is dripping. Nothing seems to work, I am so frustrated with this. I have been waiting on this polar for a very long time. Now that I have It, it's not working for me. I really do not know what else to do beside sending it back for a refund.

Did you wind up getting a refund?

I had to replace my transmitter battery using the 2032 type available in Walgreens (or anywhere, really), to get rid of this error. According to a poster here, who knows how long the transmitter had been sitting on Polars shelves before they sent it to you. Just don't leave any pry marks if you intend to send it back for a refund. Well actually I left some marks on mine (it was a dud purchased through Amazon that wouldn't stay on long enough to let me program the watch even after replacing the battery) and Amazon did send me a new one. Some months later, check transmitter error comes up, I replace battery, it goes away.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have this model and so far it's been okay...I only got that message when I didn't have the transmitter clipped on well. I'm sure they have "duds" though in most things...you will read great and not so great reviews. I heard their customer service is great. I hope they are for you.

I use the Spectra gel that I saw recommended on Amazon...I feel it works better than just water...but I also wet it. I wear the moisture wicking shirts a lot and a forum said they limit moisture which can interfere (for some) with transmission.

Hope you can get some results.