sharing diary

Options

Replies

• suzie52
    suzie52 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree it your statement ! That we all should be helping each other out !!
  • Lyn8944
    Options
    I agree. I feel that by not sharing your diary you're defeating the entire purpose of the site. The point in sharing your diary is to hold yourself accountable for the health decisions you make. However, I recognize that it is a personal decision and up to the individual.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When I started I was embarassed, so I didn't have it open.

Then as I started gaining friends and getting support, I opened it. I wanted to feel accountable for what I was doing.

As for friends that don't have theirs open, it is their choice. I don't think it is bad or good if it is open. They are on this journey too, and they need to do what they feel is right for them to succeed.
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    I prefer my friends to have an open diary... we all share recipes and food ideas, and we wouldnt really be able to do that if we didnt share our diaries.
  • suzie52
    suzie52 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to show your food for the day it gives people ideas and also if you see that someone is making a unhealthy choice you can give them some ideas you have for better one I think it helps out alot if any one wants to add me to there friend list I will help the best way I can we all need to stick together it's a battle for all of us and we need each others help !! :)
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The point in sharing your diary is to hold yourself accountable for the health decisions you make.

I am accountable to no one but myself -- and managed to meet (and exceed) my goals for weight and fitness without having people creeping through my food diary. I'm a pretty reasonable and well-educated adult who doesn't need the approval (or disapproval) of virtual strangers to keep me on track.
  • adamalle
    adamalle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. I eat all kinds of crap sometimes, go way over on some days - but I log everything, good and bad.

I keep it open to give others ideas, if I've helped then great!
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am accountable to no one but myself -- and managed to meet (and exceed) my goals for weight and fitness without having people creeping through my food diary. I'm a pretty reasonable and well-educated adult who doesn't need the approval (or disapproval) of virtual strangers to keep me on track.

Beautifully said!

Look, if you want to share your diary, share it. If you don't, don't. There is no "one way" all people SHOULD act. There is no "one reason" that we become friends on here. There is no "one way" of supporting others. We are all individuals. Freedom of choice and all that. :happy:
    :flowerforyou:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Mine is private. If anyone asks (so far only 1 has) I will tell them what I eat. I have never looked at anyone else's diary in all the time I have been on here, and do not feel a need to. I eat what I want and stay within my calories. I find healthy recipes here and elsewhere on the internet and everyone has access to the same information. It is working for me. I got a lot ot negative feedback in the beginning and that led me to a private diary. I don't need negativity, it serves no useful purpose for me. My mother always said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    I keep my diary public to help motivate me make smart choices with my food. I think everyone should be able to set their diary to whatever they feel like. Making friends on this site isn't about snooping around in what someone else eats every day all day long. It's not about policing what they eat. If someone sets a requirement for a diary to be open for friends I'm not very inclined to befriend them.

Making friends is about motivating each other to be the best you can be, and you can do that perfectly fine without creeping around in their diary.
  • Darrowland
    Darrowland Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    And my diary is public to everyone because I am reaffirming to myself that there is no moral value assigned to my food choices, so I have no need to be ashamed. If I wasn't getting something out of having it be public, I'd probably keep it private too, because like someone said above, I'm accountable to nobody but myself.

I also like to be able to tell new people who are struggling, for example, with getting enough protein, that they can have a look at my diary if they want to see how I do it.

Also I meant to add that it's hard for me to give you positive feedback and encouragement about finishing your food logging and being under your calorie goal for a day if your diary is hidden, because I won't give positive feedback for people who restrict too much. If I can't see your diary, I can't see whether you were under by 1 calorie, 100 calories, or 800 calories. Huge difference!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to my friends. I know I don't eat right, but I also know I'm eating better than I have in the past. So far, I haven't received any negative feedback... it's all been encouraging and non-judgmental. What my friends are thinking without saying, if there is anything, is none of my business. If a friend's diary is open, I'll probably take a peek, mainly to see if they're eating something that sounds yummy and doable in my life. If their diary isn't open, maybe I'll just comment something like "Hey, good job logging!" or "Keep up the good work" or whatever.

This whole change in lifestyle thing is one time when it's okay to be "all about me." Do what works best for you, and be understanding that what works best for you may not be the best thing for your friends..
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends but not to public, i do sometimes feel embarrassed at my diary from certain things iv ate or drank lol but i do try to be as honest with myself as possible, if friends have decided to keep there diary private then thats up to them - no big deal
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Mine's open to friends for only one reason: more eyes on me keeps me more accountable for both my food choices and logging every day. (But I don't expect my friends to read it!)

Whether a friend's diary is open is irrelevant to me. The ticker tells the story.
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary public to help motivate me make smart choices with my food. I think everyone should be able to set their diary to whatever they feel like.

This is how I feel, I feel more motivated to make the better choices if theoretically everyone can see when I don't!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I don't really see the need unless a person is asking for specific advice to which that information would be relevant. If they are asking if they're eating the best sources of protein (or enough) or where they could work in more fiber or whatever, then being able to browse what they're already doing and their goals is helpful.

In general, their food diary does not impact my being able to offer support and encouragement or to accept such from them. I don't really care what they eat.

For the record, my diary is not open to the public (I don't really know why), but it is to friends. I cannot imagine why it would matter to them, but there it is. lol

Edited for spelling
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only......I like to see what others have eaten and share in some recipes if they are willing. I don't give negative comments, I know I eat some of the wrong foods, I don't need anyone to tell me that!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Food is a very personal thing for some people. I prefer being able to view diaries, but I don't get mad if I can't. I just won't comment on the diary entry if I can't view it (I don't want to accidentally support something unhealthy).

I like being able to read diaries mainly for food ideas. I tend to eat the same thing over and over, so it's nice seeing what other people are having.

THIS :drinker:
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends I like getting the opinions on my food and when I go over/under people can see by how far etc oh and it puts me off binging when I know my friends will see but I still log it all that way I can receive full honest support :smile:

I like stalking others diaries and getting ideas for meals and how to boost protein and other stuff, also I feel like I can give better advice when I can see their diaries and can actually comment more than well done on logging :ohwell:

:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.