Biggest Losers lose more than 2lbs/wk safely? How!?

Options

Replies

• EmmyWinningSTAR
    Options
    be careful with the gatorade, it can be a nutritional nightmare for those who are not intense athletes, and it can make you gain weight, go check it out here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/68710-effects-much-gatorade/

I really hadn't thought about Gatorade being bad for use in weight loss versus athletic performance. There's a lot of sodium in it that I DON'T need, that's for sure. My only real reason for drinking it though, is that somehow, it relieves 90% of my "day-after muscle soreness".

I've sworn by it since I tried Insanity for 2 weeks last year... Day 1 without Gatorade was an EPIC FAILURE because every move I made hurt the next day. Once I started drinking Gatorade the second I finished a workout, all the next-day soreness disappeared.... and Shaun T was kicking my @ss! It's had the same effect every time since, and I've definitely had periods of inactivity that would make me sore if I started working out again. I even kick myself when I forget to drink it and end up sore the next day, lol.
  • EmmyWinningSTAR
    Options
    I can't get past the thread title...

Why do you think it's SAFE??? Because Mr. TV Editor said so? Because Jillian Michaels is never wrong?

Great point, lol!
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's all percentages. For most individuals loosing that much weight is dangerous. When you weigh 300 something pounds however where you need to eat nearly 4k just to maintain that weight cutting down to a normal 2k diet spreading it out to multiple meals and then burning an additional 500 calories by just walking for an hour and you suddenly have a recipe for massive weight loss. I weight 190 lbs and am loosing 2-3 lbs a week. That's about 1.5% of my body weight. When I started and weighed 280lbs I lost 5 lbs. my first week which was still only 1.5% of my body fat. If you weigh less than 200 lb's and are cutting 500-1000 calories you are risking being nutrient deficient unless you eat very healthy foods. Nutrient deficiencies can cause all sorts of problems for your internal organs which need them.
  • EmmyWinningSTAR
    Options
    be careful with the gatorade, it can be a nutritional nightmare for those who are not intense athletes, and it can make you gain weight, go check it out here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/68710-effects-much-gatorade/

Thanks for posting that link! I checked it out. Surprisingly (or not so much), I have a 32oz. bottle of Gatorade right beside me, lol. The figures the site they reference (Calorie King) lists are very inacurate. 200 cals/ 32oz according to Calorie King, but my bottle says roughly 75; 56g or sugar, but my bottle says about 18; 800mg Sodium and I have about 400. Either they're way off or Gatorade cleaned up it's act a bit since publication.

On the contrary, the article does address vitamin toxicity and other potential health risks Gatorade can bring about. Plus the calorie intake versus expenditure situation - Thank God I burn more than I drink, lol. And finally, the SUCROSE I never realized I was drinking. I make it a point not to drink or use artificial sweeteners, especially diet drinks. Most diet soda/pop will tell you right on he label that it contins Phenylalanine, which is known to cause cancer. #NOthanks

Now me, I only drink a little at a time. Takes me 4-5 days to kill a whole 32oz bottle. That's not too bad, right? IDK.

I hope I didn't seem argumentative because that was truly not my intention. It seems I've picked up on my boyfriends debating habits, lol. Thanks so much for sharing! Feel free to add me as a friend, I can always use more encouragement!
  • EmmyWinningSTAR
    Options
    its easy when your over weight i was obese weighing in at 188 and im only 5'3 back in 2011 i started doing zumba / yoga classes since i wasn't active found dancing easy and shed 15 lbs within the first month

Way to go! I WISH I was 188 again! I'm 5'5" 211 right now. Hoping to keep steadily losing this weight. I hate the yo-yo! But its all on me anyway!
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not to feed the cliche' machine but : "Weightloss is a marathon. Not a sprint." Everyone above has stated the same thoughts I have. Their "weeks" aren't 7 days. When you're 500lbs, you're gonna lose a s**t ton a week because you're creating a new deficit from your normal 9k/cal diet and shock value. It's REALITY TV!

Do not base real life decisions on a game show. There are multiple benefits to losing weight slowly. First off: Skin. Don't get me started on the flying squirrel body I now have because I was losing quickly and addicted to cardio. Second: Your heart. If you drop weight too quickly, it can cause extra strain on your cardiovascular system. Let your body ADJUST to your new weight. Don't stress it out more than it already is. Third: You need to be able to maintain this healthy lifestyle. It's not just calories in vs calories out. It's about changing your LIFE.

You need a healthy relationship with food and not focus on the scale. Also, Gatorade is the devil. Chocolate milk would get you a lot further. Do your homework on THAT junk before you throw a bunch of sugar and salt into the mix. Good luck finding what works for you, but don't hurt yourself doing it. <3
    Amen sister
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Gatorade and the like are one of the biggest frauds ever perpetrated on American consumers.

Lulz
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Gatorade and the like are one of the biggest frauds ever perpetrated on American consumers. It is nothing more than sugar water (made from HFC) and a trace of electrolytes with artificial flavor and color.

mmm...colored sugar water...
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of the people on TBL regain all their weight. It can be done, but why do you want to work that hard to just have it all come back later?
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I. Think you can manage a 1500 caloric deficit a day. It is all strategy. I may be wrong, but I keep my cals at 1500. Plus I do 45 min on elliptical when I wake up on empty stomach so I am burning reserves. It works for me. But it still only amounts to about 2 pounds a week.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I believe it's absolutely possible to lose the kind of weight they do. But the bigger question is, just how sustainable is it??? And I want my skin to have every opportunity to keep up with my weight loss (tighten up as much as it will at this point) and dropping 10 pounds a week is not going to help much here.
  • MoganHorse
    MoganHorse Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A better show to watch is Extreme Makeover :Weight Edition with Chris Powell. They do it in 3 month sections over the course of a year. They also work their way up in the workouts instead of throwing people to the wolves. Much more realistic and encouraging!
  • lolapedia88
    lolapedia88 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of the people on TBL regain all their weight. It can be done, but why do you want to work that hard to just have it all come back later?

Umm you're wrong
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Umm you're wrong

I don't know if they're right or wrong, but after reading the same statement for the umpteenth time in the thread, I was about to ask if someone could cite that statement? They've shown a couple people come back fat but I didn't realize they were all supposedly gaining their weight back.

Personally, I'm a fan of slow, just because I can't sustain massive change all at once. And I like food. A lot!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    A better show to watch is Extreme Makeover :Weight Edition with Chris Powell. They do it in 3 month sections over the course of a year. They also work their way up in the workouts instead of throwing people to the wolves. Much more realistic and encouraging!

More TV for you. Chris is just more charismatic than Jillian, for example, but from what I've watched, many of the contestants quit their job for the first three months just so they can exercise four hours a day. They remove all their furniture and turn their living room into a gym. And don't cry to Chris that you can't do 20 reps during any workout. After listening to you whine, he'll make you do 40 :|. On Extreme Weight Loss, the contestants still lose 200 lbs in a year. It just makes sense when you suddenly go from eating tons of calories per day, to eating what even a 250lb guy needs to maintain, plus exercising four hours a day.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    what's buku?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If nobody posted this yet, I would encourage everyone to read this:
    http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

TL;DR, nothing TBL does is healthy or in the interest of wellness for it's contstants.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why its such a no-no to lose more than 2 lbs per week when the contestants on The Biggest Loser drop 10-20+ lbs in 7 days!

Granted, they have professional trainers and medical staff working with them, but essentially, they are only eating healthy and working out. That leads me to believe that if I eat healthy and incorporate muscle-friendly foods in my daily diet, my moderate exercise should be a positive factor, not a negative one threatening to eat away healthy muscle mass.

What am I missing in health education that makes Jillian Michaels' troops clear to drop buku weight, but not me?

I'm going for 4-5lbs per week... and I'm going to eat foods rich in muscle-building nutrients, drink Gatorade products, and get my rest to regenerate!

Gatorade and the like are one of the biggest frauds ever perpetrated on American consumers. It is nothing more than sugar water (made from HFC) and a trace of electrolytes with artificial flavor and color. What you are paying for is celebrity endorsements, expensive ad campaigns, bottling costs and shipping expenses with huge profits for the company that makes it.

If you work out long and hard enough to require a sports drink you can make one yourself using diluted natural fruit juices
    which are natural sources of sugar, potassium, and magnesium and add some salt if you are worried about sodium loss. It cost a fraction and has natural antioxidants that are good for you

Here is my recipe for an all natural antioxidant sports drink:

25% orange juice
    25% pomegranate or purple grape juice
    50% freshly brewed green tea (or water)
    Optional: 1/4 teaspoon of table salt per 16 oz

It contains about 30 grams of sugars per 16 oz which is the same as gatorade

nice recipie, bump for later
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The false timeline and other issues have already been noted. But just to add:

You can only oxidize a certain amount of fat a day. The amount you can oxidize depends on how much fat you have in the first place. So, the people on TBL have a lot more that they can oxidize. If you have a higher calorie deficit than the amount you can oxidize from fat, the rest will come from muscle and other important shiz.

So, do you really want to get in a net catabolic state?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    The false timeline and other issues have already been noted. But just to add:

You can only oxidize a certain amount of fat a day. The amount you can oxidize depends on how much fat you have in the first place. So, the people on TBL have a lot more that they can oxidize. If you have a higher calorie deficit than the amount you can oxidize from fat, the rest will come from muscle and other important shiz.

So, do you really want to get in a net catabolic state?

Interesting. How can we calculate this amount of fat?