Carbohydrates

Options
2»

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I have basically cut out pasta/bread/rice/potato but I am going to reintroduce them. I signed up to here today and have got my MFP figures so I will give them a try and see what results I get.

Try the whole grain versions of bread/pasta/rice, they don't convert into sugar and they have lots of fibre. Also sweet potato burns fat :)

There's accurate about those statements. Because, science.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Try the whole grain versions, they don't break down everything down into sugar like normal bread/pasta/rice and they give you lots of fibre :)

Carbs are not bad or unhealthy.

+1
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it low carb but sometimes find it hard to meet my calorie goals as I am trying to make a conscious effort to cut out a lot of fats too (which tend to be 0 carbs).

Low carb *and* low fat?
    I should say unhealthy fats.... Oil, butter mayo. The ones with 0 carbs that can add calories. My fat comes from meat, nuts and avacodos mostly.
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it low carb but sometimes find it hard to meet my calorie goals as I am trying to make a conscious effort to cut out a lot of fats too (which tend to be 0 carbs).

Low carb *and* low fat?

Does. Not. Compute. :noway: :huh:
    It does for me and the weight loss is there::bigsmile:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Try the whole grain versions of bread/pasta/rice, they don't convert into sugar and they have lots of fibre. Also sweet potato burns fat :)
    double-facepalm.png
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Low carb *and* low fat?

Does. Not. Compute. :noway: :huh:
    It does for me and the weight loss is there::bigsmile:

Your diary is closed. What are your carb/protein/fat targets like?
  • BlaZeN13x
    Options
    Great responses, thanks for all the help. Really making things a lot clearer to understand and make the changes needed.
  • Deborah100660
    Deborah100660 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates provide energy and are needed by the body. Carbohydrates are good for you and provide fiber depending on which you carbohydrates you consume. I get my carbs through fruits and vegetables and very little starches. Stick to carbs that are low on the glycemic index. You can look up the glycemic index on the internet. These are high fiber and also help with digestion. A no carb diet is not a balanced diet. I limit my starches and substitute sweet potato for regular potatoes. Green beans, peppers, and onions are also carbohydrates.

Deborah
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Okay, well it depends on what type of carbs you are eating. If you aren't eating complex carbs, that's probably why the carbs, so you think, are stunting your weightloss.

You shouldn't cut out carbs completely because its not realistic to a lifestyle. That sounds like some quick fix "Cut this out to lose weight" diet. but once you start incorporating them into your diet again what will happen? You will gain because you haven't been allowing yourself them.
    Eat a specific amount of carbs a day, and you should figure out what amount is right for you because what MFP gives you for your daily amount is not realistic for everyone, as its based off of the average person, and none of us meet up to that "average person" status since each and every one of our bodies are completely different.

Again, make sure you are eating COMPLEX carbs. That way your body can use those carbs for energy. Noncomplex carbs get turned into fat, or stored as fat.

Complex carbs..complex carbs..complex carbs..can I stress that enough? :P

No no no.

Excess calories get stored as fat, no matter what they are from
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs and as far as I know it has never hindered my progress. But carbs are my last priority. First I make sure I'm hitting calories. Second I make sure I'm getting enough protein (my goal is 1 gram per pound of LBM since I lift weights). Third I make sure I'm getting .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, which to be honest has never been a challenge. :laugh: Whatever calories I have left I use for carbs. That includes my fruits/veggies, as well as bread and baked goods.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Check out these articles, they're easy to read and they link to studies.

http://iifym.com/carbs-at-night/

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
  • mo11ybloom
    Options
    To everyone who thinks that a low carb diet is unsustainable because you're cutting out a food group, well... that will vary from person to person. I've never been a big fan of bread, pasta, rice, etc anyway, so if I follow I low-fat diet, I feel like I'm starving all the time. I recently started a low carb, high fat diet (65% fat, 30% protein, 5% net carbs), sticking to a calorie deficit, and it's the easiest thing I've ever done. I'm never hungry, and I don't crave sweets of starches. I know that might be different for people who are used to a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner every night, but if OP feels that carbs are a trigger, by all means, try a low carb diet! Too many people are all like "this method worked for me so it's obviously the only way to go!"
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Low carb *and* low fat?
    Is Kimkins still a thing?! :noway:
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    When I eat more broccoli, zucchini, and green beans a lot, I tend to keep the weight down. Those two items are carbs, correct?
    Carbohydrates are not evil.
    We need them.