Not seeing results with Insanity

Options
I originally started Insanity the beginning of August. I found it hard in the summer to keep on track and ended up missing almost 2 weeks’ worth of workouts. During those days I was out doing other things still staying active though. I decided at the end of August to start back at day 1 in order to get a full 60 days.

My diet was really good before but this time around I cleaned it up even more. I gave up alcohol, decreased the amount of fruits I ate (because of the sugar), I drink only rice milk and water. I am very satisfied with my diet and I really have no cravings so I think I am on the right track diet wise. I have been pushing myself a lot harder in these workouts as well.

I feel a lot stronger and I am able to get through the workouts with more ease than before. My form is better and overall I feel like I am getting more out of each workout. I am starting to see some definition in my arms that I did not see before and a little difference in the size of my legs but not much.

Today has been a month since I last took pictures so I decided to take some and see my progress. I was very disappointed and discouraged. I really couldn't see any difference at all. I have been working out so hard and technically I have been doing over a month of insanity. There is no difference in the scale, measurements or pictures. Only difference is that I feel stronger, which is great, however, that is not the only reason I started insanity.

I don't have much weight to lose. I am 5'3, weigh 122 pds. I am not so hung up on weight as I am on seeing a difference in my appearance. I understand as I build muslce my weight will stay the same or increase and I am ok with that. But I started insanity to become stronger AND get a flat stomach.

Maybe I am unrealistic in my goals and expectations but I am really unmotivated today after looking at the pictures.

From week one I have been doing cardio abs 3 times a week and the strength training dvd 3 times a week. Next week I am going to start running again 3 times a week as well. I really want to ensure I see the results I expected by the end of the 60 days. Is there anything else I should be doing to ensure I do? Please don't say diet.

Has anyone else been in the same boat?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You haven't provided enough information to really allow us to help, however insanity is a great workout to improve your cardio and endurance.. but thats not what your goal, so you are not getting the results you want because you have chosen an activity that gives different results. it would be like you studying medical journals with the expectation of learning more anout car mechanics

So.. What you need to do to get the results you state is weight training - get yourself aquatinted with iron friend, and lift it!

Insanity is not going to give you the desired strength or transformation you are looking for.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm still in my first month of Insanity, so I can't say from personal experience, but I have heard from other people that they saw the most change in month 2. Keep going, finish the program, and if you still aren't satisfied, do something else instead.
  • kateson84
    Options
    Really? I thought Insanity was for losing weight.

This year has been a slow fitness year for me due to some injuries but I did not start this program as a completely unfit person. I run and bike a lot. I take part in races. I stay active. I just wanted something to get me back in shape and physical appearance that I was use to since I was sidelined from injuries this year.

I am doing the weight training DVD three times a week. Maybe it's not enough.

@Travis - I don't count calories. I did at the beginning to get an idea of the amount I can and can't eat.

I will finish the program just to see the results. I do like the increased endurance and strenght I am seeing but I also need to see the difference and feel it in my clothes. Maybe I will add more strenght training to my workouts.

@Kate - we'll have to compare notes in a couple of weeks since it sounds like we are at the same spot in the program!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Try measuring yourself you might be losing inches and not notice in the photos. I've also heard that people get AMAZING results with 30day shred more than with insanity. I have personally not tried either one yet.
  • kateson84
    Options
    I am not seeing any difference in the measurements either.

I do have the 30day shred. I started it but it didn't feel like a challenge. That's why I went to insanity.
  • lyssa1109
    Options
    I'm on my first month of Insanity too, and not seeing anything. I can tell that I'm improving by how long I can jog (I also jog a bit) but like you said, that's not why I started! I'm tracking my calories, and luckily still staying on track.
    I hope we both see results when it's over! I'm having a bit of trouble staying motivated in a positive way.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i'm your size - five feet, three inches; and 126 lbs. It seems that almost nothing budges my numbers; besides starving or spending all day in the gym.

I'm more focused on living a healthy lifestyle - challenging myself in the gym and eating right. At this point, my numbers are healthy and don't matter.
  • kateson84
    Options
    Insanity is the reason my diet is so strict lol
    There is NO WAY I am working out that hard and then ruining an entire workout or workouts with one meal or dessert!!

@Mostlywater - I am ok with my the number on the scale, my big issue is my mid-section. I want to get rid of that muffin top and love handles. My core is becoming pretty strong from these workouts, I just want to see it now!

Lyssa girl let's finish this together! Maybe we can motivate each other!

I really do like Shaun T in these DVD's. He is a great motivator and has some great tips. When my body is burning and shaking I focus on my breath and I am able to make it through. I keep telling my myself the burn is what is forcing my body to change! I really like how they have a timer for everything. I keep telling myself after the warm up and stretching it really is only 15-20mins of hard workout. That's not much I can put all I have into it. I don't think I have ever sweat so much in the first 5 mins of any workout!!

I have decided not to take any more pictures or at least not look at them until I am done the 60 days.
    I find I work out better in the evening so I am going to change my workouts from the morning to the evenings. Add some more strength training and running. I talked to a friend and I might also look into swimming a couple days a week.

I am going to stick with Insanity, I still think it is a great program but I was hoping to find someone with a similar experience that ended up with a rocking body at the end! A lot of those before and after photos I guess are very misleading!