Have you ever had to re-focus??

Options
Hey guys! So far, I've done great with my weight loss. Changing my eating habits and exercising was actually fun and I loved how it made me feel. About a month and a half ago, I reached my point of only needing to lose about 10 more pounds. Ever since then, I have fallen off about 3 times! Eating throughout the day is fine, but in the evenings I just pig out! This happens about 3 nights a week for the past 3 or 4 weeks. It makes me feel horrible and my weight loss has understandably come to a halt. I don't know if this is stress/emotional eating, boredom, being afraid of reaching a goal or what but I do know that I need to get re-focused and get back on track! It used to be so easy for me to say no and/or not gear off course and now I do it more often then I ever should.

Any advise? Have any of you had to re-focus to finish off your last pounds? How did you do it???

Thanks!

Replies

• butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I need to re-focus every single time I'm hungry or every time I go to eat :grumble:

It's weird, because I am the exact same way! I'll eat well all day, until dinner time and I usually end up saying "f- this" and pig out. And that happens 3-5 times a week. And the other days I go to bed and wake up starving. I've been so frustrated with my lack of progress (have lost less than 25 lbs in 21 months) that I just want to give up.

Sorry, no advice because I'm dealing with the same thing, but you're not alone. You may message me if you want :)
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Check out my fooddiary! Yes, I do "snack" but within reason. I absolutly LOVE dannon low fat, plain yougurt. I sweeten it with sweetener - sucralose. I add a half a peach, or berries, what ever i have on hand. A cup is 100 calories. I also eat the baby bel light cheese ( 50 cal for one) I get sugar free jello pudding (60 cal). My BEST advice is drinking something you enjoy. Get a large plastic cup, make an ice coffee, replace cream with unsweetened almond milk (30 cal/cup) add sweetener, or a glass of iced tea. Love good earth original tea, because its naturally sweet. ( tea bags, so brew n ice it yourself) i usually make it in the coffee pot. Anyways drink something at night, then have a small snack. You may not be super full, but you will be satisfied. If you go out and hit up fast food for a snack. Mc donalds kids sized fries are 100 cal. Their snack wraps - no sauce is about 130 cal then just get a packet of sauce, like honey mustard. Go to the website n check out the calories for their sauces. If you go to taco bell, get their cinnabons! 50 cal per cinnabon, 200 cal for the bags of four. Just make smart snack choices. Also if you know you snack att night, try taking a walk in the morning or get in some exra exercise. If you eat extra, exercise off your cal! You can do it. We all "cheat" a bit sometimes but do not letit become a habit. Changing your habits is the most important thing. I play candy crush or go online lol. Esp at night. Plus I typically have to cook nost of the food in my house. :D. I figure if Im too lazy to cook, I dont rly want it.
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm with butterfly love... No great words of wisdom but I'm going through the same thing! It's like I just dont care anymore and I keep eating a TON! Just cannot seem to stay under goal and I don't know why!
  • SherbAliciouS
    SherbAliciouS Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've had to refocus soooooo many dang times, it's pathetic! Lately, though, I HAVE been able to lose weight and stick with my eating, the best I've done in years, actually. Three things that help me stay on track are that I preplan all of my foods the day before, and I make sure to try to eat two meals and two 200 calorie max snacks before dinner time...that way, I don't end and wreck the entire day by going gung ho at dinner time. When I didn't preplan, I wouldn't have the proper foods available to me, so I would usually say, "Forget it, I'll just skip eating at this time." or "Oh, no, I can't have that.", but with no substitute, I find myself STARVING and would inhale dinner, without being able to curb myself. I don't know if you do this, but I usually get so busy, during the day, that I forget to eat my snacks, or lunch and then, come dinnertime, I am famished and find it impossible to stop myself from overeating. My fix for that is that I program my cell phone with 3 additional alarms (with snooze!), that go off daily. I know it 's either my first snack-time, lunch, or my 2nd snack-time. I then stop whatever I am doing and make time for MYSELF. That is the third thing, which is most important and helps to make the first 2 things work beautifully. Do not be too busy to take some time out of your days to do for YOU. Preplanning your meals the day before takes about 15 minutes max. Preplan a substitute or 2, in case you aren't feeling what you planned the day before, but take the time, it'll be so worth it. Set reminders/timers for yourself! If you make it to appointments and meetings, all day, every day, no problem, for everyone else, then do this for you. I hope this helps you, as it has helped me, to stay on track....GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating at maintenance for a couple of months and just maintain. You'll either decide you're perfectly happy where you are or you'll decide you want that last 10 pounds off and you'll buckle down and do it! Don't get discouraged. Keep in mind you need to create / find a lifestyle that you can live with the rest of your life to maintain the weight and not gain. Don't treat it like a diet.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    To stop the night eating, sometimes you just need sheer distraction. Change up your workout routine, take a class, go sit in a place that doesn't allow food, etc. Or even find a new hobby that doesn't involve MFP or food. Part of it for me is crappy summer tv. Boredom turns me into a hungry beast!

You are awesome. Just don't give up.
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    m
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I hit a wall with stress/schedule a few weeks back. I am only 14 lbs down and a long way to go. They chanted and shouted to push through, I got this, don't lose my focus etc. It sounded hollow when my life was swallowing me whole right then. Then one small voice, one super intelligent voice in the crowd said to just hold my place awhile. Go on maintenance and relax. My stress dropped as I ate mcdonalds more (because I wasn't stressing about the food). I began eating fast food more but trying to keep under maintenance calories to "hold my place" until I was ready again.

This worked like a charm. I gained less than a pound back and have recently resumed my efforts. I'm choosing to leave the calories at maintenance for flexibility for now but eating under every day the best I can. No set goal of how much to lose per week. Don't care. The journey is too long for me and I'm just proud I'm still hanging around on here.

Maybe it's time to mark your place for a bit.
  • kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys SOOO much for the advice! After reading everyone's replies and doing some things of my own, I have finally kicked myself back into gear and am ready to get going again!

For those of you who said you didn't have advise and were just letting me know you're in the same boat..that helped me, too. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. We can all get through this and reach our health/weight loss goals! we WILL reach them!