Need Advice - I want to start adding weight training

Options
Hi. I am still new to this - about three weeks now. I want to start adding some toning and muscle building weight training. I am looking for advice. I don't know where do I begin.

There is a bow flex like machine in the small gym at work. There are also exery size dumbells. This is the equipment I have available.

I still plan to do cardio every day, but would like to add toning 3 times a week.

How many muscle groups should I do a day?
What muscles should I do together?
What muscles groups will help me see the results I need to see to keep me motivated?
Low weight and more reps, or high weight and fewer reps?

Help, I am so confused!

Replies

• CelticWarrior
    Options
    Day1 - Chest & Triceps
    Day2 - REST
    Day3 - Back & Biceps
    Day4 - REST
    Day5 - Shoulders & Traps
    Day6 - REST
    Day7 - Legs & calves

work 2 different muscles one day and so on. Never work the same muscles back to back days because your muscle needs time to heal and that is when your muscles are building. Do 2-3 sets each should last no more than 30 minutes a day.

This is how body builders build their muscles,

Also doesn't really matter if you use something like a bowflex, the tention pulling and pushing is what does the trick, so no half stepping with like say bench pressing, you go up slow and come down fast. Go up slow come down just as slow, apply that method to everything and you be alright.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi Danielle!

You can 2 muscle groups a day. Back and Biceps. Chest, Shoulders, Triceps. Legs. Give your muscles a day to rest. You can do abs more than once a week, but don't work them every day. I think working your biggest muscle groups (chest, butt, legs) will help you see the results to stay motivated. I like high weight and low reps (8-10) but if you want a leaner look, a lower weight and more reps (12-15) will work. Make sure that you really feel like you are working those last 3 reps.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Pick up those dumbbells! Stay away from the Bowflex!

I have a few resources to point you to.

Websites: first and foremost -- stumptuous.com
    Specifically, take a look at the Training category: http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training

-Don't Fear the Free Weights: http://www.stumptuous.com/dont-fear-the-free-weights
    -Basics of a Routine: http://www.stumptuous.com/basics-of-a-routine
    -Bone Building Workout: http://www.stumptuous.com/the-bone-building-workout (Strength bearing activities will play a more critical role in preventing loss of bone density as we age than any amount of calcium we could take!)

And there's several other workout ideas and movement instructions there.

Another website for workout ideas: NerdFitness.com
    -Beginner Body Weight Circuit: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

And, I recommend this book: New Rules of Lifting for Women - emphasis on compound movements that target several muscle groups with each exercise.

Edit: One last thing - I advocate compound, free/body weight exercises because those emphasize functional strength with balance and agility. You will not get that with weight machines and bicep curls.
  • gibsons
    Options
    There are as many answers to your question as there are different people; I'll share what I do.
    1. I lift weights two times per week - both times I do a full body workout.
    2. I use moderately heavy weights - usually 10 or 12 lb dumbbells. You may need to start with 5 or 8 lbs.
    3. On one day I do the following circuit three times: 12 reps bicep curls, 12 reps over-head shoulder press, 12 reps triceps "skull crushers," 12 reps chest press, 12 reps dead lift / bent over row, 25 reps leg press machine (70 lbs). If I can't get the leg press, I hold a 25 lb plate and do squats. I do ab work when I'm done.
    4. On the second day I also try to hit all the major muscle groups, but I do it with slightly different exercises, sometimes I use machines (I go to a big gym), sometimes I use a bar w/ plates instead of dumbbells, etc.

I don't know what you have access to, but my gym offers a class called "Body Pump" that I think is a great introduction to lifting with good form (set to music with a decent cardio component too); I like to add that to my mix, too.

I know you'll get lots of responses, but I hope this helps a little.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Dumbells are perfect. Honestly, you don't need anything else. Set up a schedule of what muscles you want to workout. There are certain keys to remember when choosing when and what to work.

1. Don't be afraid to lift HEAVIER weights. High reps and low weights have been pushed for years by people who talk about being "afraid to bulk up". Don't worry about bulking up. If you aren't actively trying to, you won't. Use weights that make it tough to finish 15-18 reps, and don't be afriad to use weights that are tough around 12-15 reps sometimes. You DO want to build some muscle size, as this is what gives a toned, athletic appearence. Also, cardio actually decreases muscle mass (you don't just use fat tissue for energy. Your body also metabolizes muscle tissue for energy), so you need to use heavy enough weight to counteract this. especially for those doing lots of cardio.

2. Give you muscles time to rest. When you work out a specific muscle, say, chest, you want to give it atleast 3 days to rest and recover. You don't get stronger and build muscle WHILE you lift. That actually happens after you workout, when the broken down muscle tissue rebuilds itself stronger then before.

Once you set up a schedule of muscles you want to workout, go online and search exercises for those muscles using dumbells. Stick to the basics at first, then experiment with others as your body gets used to the lifts and you get used to how lifting makes you feel.