Hit a Plateau, Any Ideas how to overcome it?

Options
Started originally at 352 and am so close to a hundred lbs of loss. I started myfitpal a little late, but anyway.
I am in the 250's and having a hard time losing weight. I had surgery in July and thought that would slow me down but it didn't. Now however I am up a lb one week down a lb the next (yo-yo). Since I can't bike, I started running to offset not being able to do certain activities with my left arm, but that hasn't helped much.

I eat about 1600 calories each day and have a cheat day on the weekends, in control of course. I have high BP so I watch my sodium because it messes with my water weight and it keeps my BP down. I have a goal of 220lbs and I am starting to mess with myself mentally because I am stuck.

What can I do to overcome this?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck? Are you weighing and measuring your food and liquids? Do you reach your calorie goal? Are you also fueling your workouts by eating back a portion of exercise calories? If yes to the previous, it may just take some time. Weight loss doesn't always happen 1-2 lbs a week. Sometimes there's a pause before the scale starts going down again. Have you taken your measurements? You might consider trying that as well. It can give you another source when the scale gets stubborn.
  • leky411
    leky411 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I measure all of my food, either its a single serving portion or I weigh it. That even comes down to lettuce, raw chicken, and so on. Liquids yes and only when they are anything but water. Water is my main staple I probably drink somewhere in the realm of 128 ounces or a gallon of water a day if not more. When I biked I would burn somewhere around 1,200 calories in a ride using a heart rate monitor. I would eat back a portion of those calories but usually no more than a third. Now that I run, I burn about 400 calories because it is a shorter distance and I am new to the whole thing. I don' typically eat back my calories, but I have only been running for 2 weeks now. I take my measurements periodically. My neck has not changed in months, my chest, waist, and hips have gotten smaller. my waist is half an inch smaller than my hips which is a positive sign and my chest is down to a 45 when at first it was a 57-58.

I see the progress on my body, and I take monthly snap of my body to see that there are results. It is however frustrating when you are trying to get to a goal and you are only 4 lbs away from it. I looked through my weight and on average I still lost 1.26lbs a week over the last 30 days, but I feel like my weight has started to yoyo.

I'll hold out for a little longer and see how it goes, but I have been eating around 1,600 calories a day since February and I am starting to feel like my metabolism had hit a slow down as a result. I may try some calorie cycling for a week if things don't let up. Nothing crazy but maybe cycling between 2000 and 1600 day to day. 2050 is what I should be eating according to myfitpal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think you need to eat more. I am 5'11, 31, 187 lbs, desk job and workout 6 hours a week and lose at 2500 calories. I suspect you need to start fueling your body more since you have less body fat. Why don't you try to up your calories to around 2200 calories for 4 weeks to see if that helps. Also, maybe pick up some weight training to maintain your lean body mass.

Also, if you just started a workout program, then water retention can mask fat loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by 'measure'? You need to weigh it to make sure it's accurate.

Also I agree that 1600 calories is not enough for someone of your size, especially if you exercise.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've got a few thoughts for you...

First, you're taking measurements and seem to still be losing in size. That's good.

Second, you started a new activity and had surgery. Your body is recovering and adapting to a new routine. Running and cycling use different muscles, so you're bound to retain some fluid in those newly stressed muscles.

Last, I am a 128 pound female in my forties, and while I am on maintenance (until I decide I'm really ready to lose a few more pounds) and I eat 1800-2000 calories a day.

You've done great so far, sometimes our bodies take some time to catch up with our efforts.
  • stephaninicole
    stephaninicole Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest weight training! A new routine might get you out of your mental slump, rev your metabolism, and build lean muscle (that will in turn burn more calories at rest). Good luck and congrats on your progress and dedication.
  • ash989898
    Options
    If you're still losing inches and pounds, this is NOT a plateau.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I second on the weight training, but more specifically, strength training. You need to start now to help from losing lean muscle mass. Your body does not descriminate between losing fat or muscle right now, so you need to give it a reason to only burn fat and as little lean body mass as possible in which strength training has been proven to help retain lean muscle while on a caloric deficit. Also, since you have a lot of weight to lose and if you don't lift now or its been a while since you lifted, you will experience what's called newbie gains. So not only will you grow stronger, but you will for a time be able to build muscle. This only lasts for a short time as the leaner you become, the slower/harder those gains will come until the only real way to build muscle is to eat at a caloric surplus.

In regards to the plateau, I also second the thought about the transition of your body does not always equate to scale weight. Too many variables like water retention, glycogen stores replenishing, etc... that can mask things. But in the end, it all boils down to calories in vs calories out. It's very easy to eyeball things and be completely wrong and actually be eating several hundred calories more a day than you think. You (speaking specifically to you and not making a general statement to the masses) are not going to eat 1600 calories a day and not lose weight; and without running your numbers, eating 2000 calories a day I would think would be your base minimum at your current weight, but probably even more if you are exercising every other day.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    100 lbs lost? Congrats! Have you taken a diet break yet? You're following a deep deficit, which is fine, but you should break at maintenance every once in awhile.
  • leky411
    leky411 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'll try to cover everything all in one progressive sweep as best as I can. I don't know about a diet break, what I am looking towards is a life style change. I don't consider it a diet. More of a change. Despite the deficit I strive to maintain proper macro nutrient intake. I am going to strive to increase my calorie intake with good food choices and increase my daily intake of macro nutrients.

I guess saying measurement followed by weighing everything was not noticed by many. I food scale everything I eat with the exception of single serving items. I weigh my chicken raw, my broccoli before cooking, basically if it comes in a large package I weigh out the correct serving amount. I don't use cups and such because I find it to be inaccurate. My calorie counting is meticulous and I don't worry about liquids because I only drink water.

"If you're still losing inches and pounds, this is NOT a plateau" That sums it up well. I am not noticing weight loss, but I am noticing loss in body size inches. So I hit a weight plateau but not a loss plateau. I think I am simply frustrated because I am 2 lbs from a goal.

Strength training is my next big step. I want to be able to run a 5k which is why I started running and I can tell there is definition in my body from it. Plus it is still nice out and I want to take advantage of it. Having surgery has also kept strength training as a NO NO. I had my labrum rebuilt in July. Spent a month in a sling, started PT and have been restricted to limited left arm use and no strength training. I dislocated my shoulder 12 times and developed severe instability plus arthritis. I am currently working on gaining strength in the shoulder and making sure that I do not tear anything in the process. Once I am clear to resume normal activity I will pick up strength training.

A 98lbs is a small human being of loss and I am very proud of it. I am going to up my calorie intake a little bit and see if that helps my body get into the swing of things. I appreciate the advice.