Beginner runner having constant calf pain- is it normal?

Options
2»

Replies

• guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. It will go away...
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    Hi! I'm in week 5 of c25k (although I've repeated some workouts, so it's kinda week 7 for me. :) ) When I started, I had similar calf pains. I would massage them roughly with my thumbs. (I've heard foam rollers are good - or pool noodles.) I also found that changing my form helped too. I'm still experimenting, but in the beginning, I landed on the front of my foot. I started focusing on landing mid-foot instead, taking shorter strides, and making sure my legs landed beneath me. That really seemed to help a lot with the calf-soreness. Good luck, slow down and feel free to repeat weeks, but don't give up!

Thank you! I'll work on fixing my form. :)
  • sloNsteady
    sloNsteady Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Very normal-- stretch,stretch, stretch..
  • wibblefps
    Options

+1 Alot of people think they stretch enough and, in fact, don't as much as the body would like.

I thought my stretching routine was good until I started to go over 10k. After awhile I'd be limping for a week. Now I do a full five minutes of leg/back stretches before and after. Any less and I'll be limping for a week and not running for two weeks.
  • farkleberrypinerd
    Options
    It is completely normal for runners to experience heaviness in their legs--this comes from lactic acid buildup in the muscle. I don't know what your running program looks like, but I would suggest making sure you do a full cool-down (10-15 min. jog) after a run to move the lactic acid out of your legs, and the day after a particularly hard day of running, instead of a workout do a recovery run (i.e. 30 min. easy). This should help your legs not feel as heavy and painful.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    When i changed running form (from heel strike to forefoot landing) my calves got really sore, i assumed it was the muscles being worked differently, stretched a bit, it let up after a few weeks.
    if you're experiencing cramping, check your nutrition, lack of potassium, magnesium or calcium can all lead to muscle cramps (in my experience). My husband used to get really bad cramps which have gone away since he's been having a protein shake (with banana) after his runs.
    anyhow, experiment, and you'll find out what works for you...

as for electrolytes, i like the Emergen-C pouches. just watch out if you take other vitamin c supplements - too much of it isn't that much fun...
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    For low-cal sources of electrolytes, I use G2 (powder or the jugs) and usually water it down. I think there's only 30 cals in a 16 or 20 oz. serving. Powerade also makes a low-sugar version. I prefer coconut water to both, but not everyone likes it.

If they get tight and stay tight even when not running, rolling may be better than stretching. Stretching an injured or inflammed muscle can do more harm than good. Try also giving yourself a little warm up and stretch before you start running too. The Epsom salts soaks and ice recommendations - ditto those!
  • ellemuise
    Options
    Also make sure you have the correct shoes for you and you tie them properly=)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    What would you recommend to drink afterwards with electrolytes? I watch my sugars and I get nervous about drinking things like gatorade. I drink alot of water because I quit drinking pop and only drink water now... sometimes with fresh lemon.

There are a few things but Nuun was always my favorite.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yep, I had the same thing when I first started c25k. I got good running shoes to help with over pronation and repeated week 1 before moving on. I also cannot say enough good things about a foam roller.
  • jolieblossom
    Options

+1 Alot of people think they stretch enough and, in fact, don't as much as the body would like.

I thought my stretching routine was good until I started to go over 10k. After awhile I'd be limping for a week. Now I do a full five minutes of leg/back stretches before and after. Any less and I'll be limping for a week and not running for two weeks.

I stretch for about 20 minutes every day including rest days. And always effort and after working out.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    1. Hydration
    2. Proper running form and joint function
    3. Proper soft tissue mobility( smash those heel chords/plantar fascia/calves/ anterior tib/quads/upper hamstring), dont do isometric neutralization stretches of your hamstrings and think thats all it takes
    4. Build up your tolerance over time
    5. Nutrition pre and post running

Good luck! running is THE most often injured activity the human body can undertake. Learn as much as you can and do it right!

:)
  • cassandrac1983
    Options
    Good for you for sticking with the program through the pain!

I had terrible pains in my calves for the first few months of running - and now I'm running a half-marathon distance!

GO SLOW. Don't try to run fast. Do the walk-run intervals, and repeat weeks if you have to.

The bananes will help, and keep drinking all that water.

As for electrolytes, I too am kind of "afraid" of Gatorade...Get into a sports store, or a running store, and look for electrolyte tablets (like e-Load or Nuun). You control how much you put in your water, and it's less sugars etc....Also, are you drinking ON your runs? That might help..

GOOD LUCK! :)
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is also an excellent source of Potassium (higher than a banana).
  • rospenno
    rospenno Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi if your feet roll inwards you will end up in pain that no bananas can fix. You would need to get shoes that are suitable for pronators, built up in the right places to correct the roll.