If your dog died & you got another would it be same breed?

Options

Replies

• StevenKHubbard
    Options
    This is just me, but I'd get a different breed.

I like experiencing the differences in dogs - it is a nice side benefit to volunteering at the shelter.

I've got two dogs now - a beagle and a pit-lab mix. They couldn't any more different from one another!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am on my third lhasa apso and would get another if I decided to get another dog!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have discussed this many times. I LOVE our two Shar peis, as does my husband, but we may get a bigger dog when our two eventually pass away. Honestly, as long as we have a big dog, I'm happy :)
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    But I will always own a German Shepherd.

ETA - I also have two Shepherds that are pretty different so I don't think the comparasion would be as much of an issue.

Same here. We recently lost one of our mix breeds to cancer. After owning German Shepherds (two totally different personalities) I will always have a GSD. Or two.

OP, I'm sorry for your loss.
  • biogradfitness
    biogradfitness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.

We actually adopted a new dog a couple months before my old dog passed away.

We always rescue, so why we don't get the same purebred dog, we generally get the same type.
    (Consider adoption. Cheaper, and better genetics and less health problems)

We usually always get a black dog, though he has markings. They have all been to our knowledge lab mixes, or something of that look. One we think was a rottweiler / lab, then a coonhound/lab, and now a shepard/lab. I believe my mum always got labs growing up as well.

I would one day like to rescue a great dane mix or something like a shiba inu/husky/ some type of spitz dog.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    It took me 10 years to get over puttin my 2 rotys down andn now we finally found the perfect male rotweiller. In the spring we will be getting another one this time a female. Just ;like before we had one of each. would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the breed I strongly urge you to go to a shelter and adopt a rescue dog. Animal shelters are overflowing everywhere and you could give a dog there a happy life...
  • 60x60
    60x60 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We have been adopted by all our dogs, rescue/shelter. Each served a purpose:

The dachshund was a playmate and teacher to my children, teaching them patience (endless ball), responsibility (helping to feed and walk) and gentleness to those smaller.

The Westie with Addison's disease taught us all to be caretakers and enjoy the moment. My husband learned to give shots even though previously he was a fainter at the sight of needles (helped with his later diabetes diagnosis).

The Shepherd Huskie in her old age nursed me through cancer by my side watchful and caring through the chemo reactions, loving let go of her life force as soon as she saw my energy levels rise. Never thought I would ever replace her.

But then I met my Border Collie who was trembling in fear on the floor of the shelter where I volunteered. He was due to be put down because he could not handle the floor chaos. His eyes found me. More than any other medicine or tool or family member, he has herded me into healthful living. You cannot be inactive or unalert with a Border Collie. He helps me babysit the next generation and treats them with gentleness and love.

My advice, pick the dog that calls to you to be a member of your family.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    We just added a new pup to our family. While we were looking, we discussed what we wanted in our newest addition. We both like labs and goldens. We have a lab/golden mix and two golden retrievers. The two goldens are rescues who the rescue we volunteer with pulled from high kill shelters as puppies. Our newest addition is also a golden puppy from a high kill shelter.

We like dogs we can take everywhere with us, and goldens are usually really well received when we travel. So I think we will likely stick with goldens for the rest of our lives.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Why are you sceptical about the same breed? If they died young through health issues common in that breed, and I took it very badly, no I probably wouldn't. Then again, every breed has some form of health issues specific to them.

The breed itself was great. Italian Greyhound. Perfect size for our house, perfect energy level, and perfect to cuddle with you and be a great companion and watchdog. The reason I am skeptical is not because of any problems with the breed, but just if I'd be able to deal with that same breed after losing my dog. In terms of comparison and just thinking about the dog I lost. Like a lot of others have said, it's hard to get the same type of dog since it brings up too many memories and all that jazz. My I.G did not die from breed specific health problems; they actually don't have all to many health problems. He died of cancer. Lymphoma. A freak thing that no vet could explain happening to him. It was terrible, watching the tumors grow on his neck, on his stomach, his energy level dropping to the point he didn't even want to get up for his favorite treats, his face getting all puffy in his final days before we had to put him down... It just might be hard to get another IG after seeing ours suffer and having to put him down.
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this...My dog, Tressel, was my best friend and he got hit by a car when my boyfriend was at home with him...I looked at other dogs the same breed but just felt like I'd make too much of a comparison between him and the new dog...So we got a different type of dog (Gabby), who I did still compare to Tressel but I do love her dearly...Gabby is a great dog but doesn't have the amazing qualities that Tressel had which makes me still miss him constantly 2 years later...My main recommendation whether you stick with the same breed or not is to just let yourself heal first, I think I jumped into getting a new dog to try to fill the empty spot too quickly
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    we had the sweetest full bred, certified Sheltie. She lived to be 18 (she was my wife's dog she got when she was in High School). I always thought we'd get another sheltie. Then, we found this 1 year old husky/lab mix from a local foster group and we fell in love with her and adopted her.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • ddickensdonna
    Options
    yes, Boxer..all the way..sooo loveable!!!:smooched: :smooched:
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    would be hard not too... I got 2 bichons.... they are my little teddy bears
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    For my dh, the only dog is a yellow male lab so when our lab passed away 3 years ago, there was no question that we would eventually get another dog - same breed. Totally different experience this time for him since he is now married and has kids. He is finding that his fearless hunting dog is also pretty happy to be part of little girls adventures. As for me, my breed is Great Pyrenees. I like big breeds and if the girls were older, I would go to our local rescue group and foster one but our house just isn't big enough for kids and two big, hairy dogs...
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    My family grew up with Samoyeds, and they are FABULOUS dogs. Excellent family animals, loving, playful, and though they're quite furry, they're also hypo-allergenic, since their fur has no oil. Which means my asthma is happier.

I actually branched out with a second dog, though, and got an Australian Shepherd from a shelter. He's a wonderful, obedient, and loving guy, and he's SUCH a pleaser. I would totally get another, because I've had a great experience with his nature.

Currently, I have that Aussie, but when he goes (won't be for a while), I would consider getting either another Sammy or Aussie, though since both my previous guys came from shelters, I'm not sure how I'd go about it. I'm not too keen on puppies, and there are so many adult dogs in need of homes, so I'd probably look into a breed rescue.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Can't even comprehend the thought of my dog dying... Devastation..
  • kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options
    I adopted an English staffordshire bull terrier, would definitely, without question, adopted the same again. Such a loyal, easy to train breed. She is an absolute delight!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My dog is a cocker spaniel rescue. I've already decided when she passes, and when I'm emotionally ready, I'll get another rescue, but this time I'd get one of the retired military dogs which are all German shepherds. I know they aren't retired until they are about 11 years old, and it's been a long, stressful 11 years for them, but who better to adopt than an America hero?