loosing forcus on the weekend

Options
I am at a point where I need some help managing my eating on the weekend. I do fantastic throughout the week, but lose all focus on the weekend. Consequently I negate all of the progress that I have made throughout the week. Please give me some suggestions on how to avoid this major pitfall.

Replies

• heatypablo
    Options
    This is my same downfall from time to time. I'm interested to see what advice others have for this... good post! :smile:
  • tater8589
    Options
    have healthy snacks around.. fresh veggies and fruit. I also like cheese sticks and beef jerky, but you have to watch sodium with the jerky
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    My husband and i were talking about this the other day. I have the very same problem. We start being bad around dinner time on Friday and continue that way through Sunday night. We've decided to try to only allow ourselves one bad meal or snack this weekend. I know a lot of people say you should always be good and never cheat, but it really does keep us sane and allows me to incorporate indulgences in my new lifestyle. I don't want to lose all of this weight and then worry that one dinner out will ruin everything. I want to be used to adjusting to small splurges. What I need to do it only have that one small splurge and STOP. We are going camping this weekend, so I think our splurge will be roasted marshmallows and beer around the campfire. I am going to be good until then and good afterwards. If I can just learn to stop, everything will be okay and I won't be doing damage control for the whole week.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't do too much socializing, so that helps! But - I wouldn't recommend that as the solution. :laugh:

What I would recommend is that you PLAN ahead. Pick one day to plan your meals for the entire next week (including the weekend!), and then go grocery shopping to make sure you have what you need. I do this on Fridays or Saturdays. Don't buy too many extras. I've been trying lots of new stuff lately, and it's actually exciting to me to plan ahead and make fun meals on the weekends that are healthy and delicious! (The weeks are a bit busier, so I usually eat much of the same thing on work days.) If you know you're going out, look up nutrition info ahead of time if you can - figure out what you'll buy. Try to come up with standard restaurant food most places will carry that you know you'll eat - for me this is grilled chicken and veggies (or fish, if they have it) - but make sure you ask that it is prepared without extra butter/oils/etc. Plan on drinking lots of water to make up for the extra sodium you know it will have. If you go out to a bar or party, allow yourself a little bit of "treats" - one or two beers/glasses of wine, one piece of cake, etc., but don't go overboard - Drink lots of water so that you keep your hands full of water rather than beer/food/etc. If they have veggie trays, pick at the veggies (without the dip!).

In there end, there are lots of little tricks that can help you - but it's up to you as to which ones work for you. The biggest key is to plan ahead as much as possible. In the future you won't need to be so structured once you've got the healthy eating/portion sizes/balanced meals down, but for now since you're still learning, structure/planning is important.

Edited to add: boredom is a problem for me, so if that's a weekend trigger for you, too, then find ways to keep busy! Go to the park, the zoo, go for a walk, visit the library, workout, garden, read a book... the list is endless!
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with weekends is you want to be able to spend time with your friends and this always means being around people who have the potential to undermine you. Just last weekend my wife and I were at a restaurant with friends, and one of those friends felt the need to order a monstrous garlic bread with cheese for the table.

People often say the first step in weight loss before modifying diet and doing exercise is to see a doctor. I say they're missing a step. The very first step is to pull aside your friends and family one at a time and make it clear that losing this weight is important to you and that you feel doing it will make you a better friend, parent, child. You need to make it clear that the changes you are making are good for you and are not being forced upon you and you need to make it clear that during your journey you may be forced to create space between yourself and those who unintentionally undermine your progress. The best example I can think of is friends who despite knowing my wife was trying to eat healthy, insisted that the only way they could enjoy desert would be if my wife or I shared it with them. I was forced to tell them to order it if they wanted, and to feel free to enjoy it, but that we didn't want it, and if we did we would just order it.

By choosing activities you can enjoy, or restaurants with healthy food options with you, your friends can be a real asset in helping you to get to where you want to be. Friends can also undermine the whole progress. My wife had a friend who also had body issues, and who always pulled her out for cheesecake at the worse times. (Usually when she was making progress). When my wife had successfully changed her life and lost a lot of weight, that friend was no longer anywhere to be seen.

Anyways, just like the workweek provides a certain structure that helps you keep the week on track, your friendships often provide the framework for the weekend. Make sure they don't undermine you.... and same with the spouse...make it clear to them as well..
  • margnutt
    margnutt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the advice. I am going to try and pick a little piece from all of you. I am going to make sure that I plan my meals and snacks (at home and out). I found that I was able to plan my day today so that I could save some calories for a little treat this evening :) I am also going to try and do something active. Maybe I'll go for a walk so that I can get some exercise. I really appreciate the advice. thanks
  • heatypablo
    Options
    Great advice, thanks everyone!
  • nataliesaunders2470
    Options
    I am absolutely terrible on the weekends, I drink too much and my boyfriend cooks man size meals for me, so all resolve goes out of the window! Stopped using MFP for a while, but now I'm using it again, I've asked my boyfriend not to be offended but I will be bringing my own meals to his!

I've decided to substitute things I love for the same foods but healthy versions so I don't feel like I'm missing out. Whereas I'd like a few beers and perhaps a Chinese or some pizza, I'll be buying a small Weight Watchers pizza (400 cals) for my tea and I've bought some alcohol-free beers so I don't break my resolve so easily! Good luck with whatever you decide to try to succeed on the weekends :drinker:
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Same the last few weeks.

In fact, so much the same I haven't lost more than 1lb in any given week for a while now.

We shall have to redouble our efforts! :D

This weekend, I WILL be better, it has been a stressful few months to be fair but that's no excuse.