Runners / Walkers / Joggers -blister help please

Options
Increasing my activity has given me some very tender blisters on my feet. How do you guys prevent and treat these? I don't want to skip days from foot pains.

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but when my ex was in bootcamp they used Dr. Scholl's moleskin. I believe you can buy it padded and unpadded. I use it whenever I have to break in new shoes.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a blisher in a long time but when I did get one I popped it then covered it with a bandaid.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    For prevention and treatment there is some stuff called 2nd skin. It's a gel pad with a semi-permeable membrane that allows the moisture to be absorbed into your skin. Cushions the tender area, and reduces pain.

Don't pop blisters! The fluid inside helps the skin/blister to heal more quickly.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    They make anti-blister socks that are made of 2 thinner layers, so the layers rub against each other to prevent anything from rubbing on your feet. Very popular w/diabetics and infantry soldiers. We've bought this brand before...

http://www.amazon.com/WrightSock-Blister-Double-Coolmesh-Quarter/dp/B0002E4EO2

But you can also get them at most running stores. Once you get them, Band-Aid Blister Band-Aids are great. They're cushioned & designed to be left on for several days. They're kind of pricey, but as I said, designed to use one for a few days. You can see them at this link, & get them most places where Bandaids are sold...

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Aid-Adhesive-Bandages-Multi-Day-Protection/dp/B000Y8W50G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378669489&sr=8-1&keywords=blister+bandaids

If you don't have one of the blister bandaids on, then I'd recommend putting a little antibiotic ointment on the blister to help it heal faster, even before you put the bandaid on. They usually say, even though most people like to drain them, that draining them, and/or peeling off the top skin, slows healing. They say to put antibiotic ointment under the top layer, then lay it down on top of it to provide additional protection until it falls off.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    depends on where they are. for prevention, i've had some success with foot powder, for 'nice' shoes i use a gel stick (looks like a mini-deodorant) that prevents rubbing. again, moderately successful.
    if it's just one or two spots, put a band-aid on before exercising and that stops most blisters from forming. but it will also prevent the build up of a callous to protect that area 'naturally'.

as for how i treat them, i try very hard not to pop them, but after a while i can't help myself :blushing: disinfect them well, rarely put on a bandage though.
  • wibblefps
    Options
    Don't need to do anything fancy. I run at least 30k with initially soft weak skin. The ideal is to have twin skin socks or proper running socks. Twin skin are great but they can shred pretty quickly. Running socks are also great but tend to tear at the toes quickly. Neither will forever stop blisters but merely reduce the severity.

The simple trick, which anyone in the army will tell you, is Vaseline on your feet before you put your socks on. You'll still build callouses but without the blisters. Be liberal with it. Also found it to be great, "anywhere" where there's chafing or rubbing.

If you do get blisters and you want to still run, another trick is to drain them, remove the surface skin, and then apply zinc tape (another army trick), HOWEVER... If you're not 100% confident, then don't even try this last part or you can cause an infection.
  • meskiukas
    Options
    Moleskin is awesome, you won't feel a thing!
    Also try baby powder on your feet before putting your socks on, which will help absorb extra moisture

also, your gym shoes are probably not fitting well, because you shouldn't get blisters from them if they fit right
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    For prevention, I apply Gold Bond friction defense around my ankles and the tops of my feet before putting on my socks. When I get one, I just put gaf tape over it, with a piece directly over the blister facing the larger piece (so it doesn't stick to the blister itself). I've also heard electrical tape works well for this method.

However, if you're getting repeat blisters in the same spot, I would check your shoe fit.
  • divone1
    divone1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

also, your gym shoes are probably not fitting well, because you shouldn't get blisters from them if they fit right

Yes!!!! I really think the shoes not fitting correctly is the problem. I read most people buy their running/walking shoes too small. Try on a half size larger than you are currently wearing with thin, liner type socks.

I usually walk a minimum of 3 miles at a time and don't get blisters.

Also, shoe material is very important. Try a well made running shoe, no discount store fake leather running/walking shoes. And
    different manufactures shoes are cut differently. I can only wear Adidas running shoes and my sister can only wear Saucony. Try on a bunch until you find the right ones and be sure to leave enough room for forward movement in the toebox; usually around a thumbnail length.
  • nikki09r
    Options
    Invest in some running socks - they really make a huge difference! Also lube up any area you may be concerned about before you head out. Body glide, vaseline, baby powder are some good options. Good luck!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    my tips
    * put Vaseline on before you go for a run.
    * get fitted for shoes
    * invest in a few pairs of good quality socks
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For now I'm a walker... and I had to go with men's cross trainer shoes due to their natural extra width in the toe area. No more blisters for me! Nike fits me the best too.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Dr scholls has a tape like dispenser of a light foam stuff. You use it to wrap toes or put on heels ect to cushion if you have a blister or tender spot, or something rubbing. Also, make sure you wear quality socks and your shoes fit well.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Usually moleskin or a band aid works for me. I agree with others that often it is the kind of sock you are wearing or your shoes are not fitted properly. Too tight or to loose can cause blisters so make sure they fit you properly. If you do this, you will not experience blisters. I found that certain shoes always gave me blisters to break them in. Now I have found shoes that work from the start and I never get a blister anymore.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be getting blisters!!!
  • jfurrrr
    jfurrrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Where do you get your blisters at? I would always get them on the bottom of my two little toes after long walks or jogs. I started wearing Injinji toe socks and haven't had a blister since!
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bump for all the great suggestions!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1) Get bigger shoes
    2) Get quality, wicking socks
    3) Powder your feet/inside of shoes
    4) If somehow you still get a blister, gently puncture it, soak it in Epsom salt water, and keep it bandaged when wearing shoes and expose it to air when possible (cleaned of course)
    5) If you must run on it, try out moleskin, but know that running on it will probably make it worse
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but when my ex was in bootcamp they used Dr. Scholl's moleskin. I believe you can buy it padded and unpadded. I use it whenever I have to break in new shoes.
    I use ^This^ as well :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    it usually ends up being your socks, assuming you have been fit for a proper pair of running shoes. Typically you need to go up 1/2 to 1 full size. Try nylon slip ons under your socks, and be sure your socks are not too thick.