Can't find time to exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Now that being said, it sounds like you could seriously use some stress relief and extra energy in your life, and exercise is a great way to get both of those. It doesn't have to be slaving away at the gym for hours. A 30minute walk 3 or 4 times a week can be a great way to add some light exercise and carve out a little "you" time without killing your schedule.

This.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Just based off what you wrote, I'd say between the grandson, 7 acres, the husband, and the house, you're getting plenty of cardio.. I would say just try to plan out your meals better and eat more within your range for now. You should start seeing something.

Also, and just throwing this out, but it sounds like your plate is pretty stressed out and full already, maybe this isn't the right time to place added stress about 10lbs. Just eat healthier (and less) and take care of yourself since you are doing so much for everyone else and then maybe you'll see some free time to add in whatever for yourself. (make sense?)
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Also you might be bringing yourself down by thinking that you can't do this, go easy on yourself and give yourself a break...
    When your mind gets itself around to what it needs to do, your body will follow. You can't force yourself to do things, little steps.
    Best of luck!!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Just based off what you wrote, I'd say between the grandson, 7 acres, the husband, and the house, you're getting plenty of cardio.. I would say just try to plan out your meals better and eat more within your range for now. You should start seeing something.

Also, and just throwing this out, but it sounds like your plate is pretty stressed out and full already, maybe this isn't the right time to place added stress about 10lbs. Just eat healthier (and less) and take care of yourself since you are doing so much for everyone else and then maybe you'll see some free time to add in whatever for yourself. (make sense?)

I agree with this thinking. A couple years ago, my husband was in/out of the hospital approx 10-11 times. With that, working, the house, the yard...blah, blah blah....I was stressed. I watched what I ate and really tried to get enough sleep. If I could get in a 30 min walk, great. But if not, I was plenty active already. I think if you take good care of what you eat, the lbs will drop, but let health and energy be your focus, not the scale.
  • Custardapple
    Options
    I tend to agree with paulperryman - you probably are getting enough exercise. However, most people's work now is quite sedentary and it is easy to forget to take a couple of minutes every hour or so to do a few stretches or just walk around. It also seems to me that you have far to much to do and I wondered if there were ways in which you could lighten the load? Do you absolutely have to bring work home on a regular basis? Or could you stop doing this for at least a while? Is there any area of your life that you can ease up on for a bit until you get going on the things you need to do to make yourself feel better? You don't say how sick your husband is, or how old your grandson is or the extent to which they could help with tasks but I really think you need to get some help if possible maybe from other relatives or friends. It's hard work looking after a young child and, besides, 7 acres seems like a heck of a lot to manage, any way of delegating there? If you could find a total of three hours spread out over the week those extra lbs would simply melt away. Seems like everyone depends on you so you really need a little self-maintenance time and 10 lbs isn't a huge amount to lose.
    :smile:
  • Squdge
    Squdge Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to the original poster.

My days go something like this:
    Up at 7, get ready and leave at 7.45. work from 8-6, home and doing uni work till 1 or 2 am, then do it all again. Sat is similar but with Uni from 8-6. Sundays are spent marking work (I teach), planning work and catching up on uni work as I am doing a full time degree around a full time job.

I honestly do not have relaxation time except after dinner on a Sunday I refuse to do any work so that I don't burn out! During that time I usually have a bath and get an early night!

I work through my lunches at work while I am eating and I am really struggling to find time to exercise.

If anyone can offer advice it would be great as I am often sat while doing research and writing essays!!
  • hazellac
    hazellac Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My son is 3 years old and when I find I don't have much time I say to him "Come on, exercises" - he grabs my 30 Day Shred and we do it together, okay so he doesn't really do it right but likes to join in - not sure how old your grandson is but maybe he'd enjoy joining in with something too? If he's too old for that then maybe he's old enough to help out a little in the house? maybe just doing some dusting or vacuuming?

Are there any relatives that could help out with your husband? It really does sound like you have a lot on your plate, sometimes relatives assume that your doing fine if you don't say anything - most are happy to help out if you let them know you need some "me time". Perhaps you could ask your son/daughter to sit care for him for an hour or two in the evenings three nights a week so that you can go for a walk? I'm sure a nice walk would be a good stress reliever too.

It sounds like you're always on the go, when I'm like that I crave sugar - I guess because it gives me a bit of a boost - only problem there is that you can crash shortly after and that leaves you craving more. It'd be better to get a really good breakfast in you that will provide you with enough fuel to keep going.

It's also probably a good idea for you to go visit your Dr and see if he can give you some advice about stress and diet. Good luck.