First Half Marathon- DONE

Options
First, let me apologize to all my friends on MFP for being very absent recently. I have had many things going on in my life and haven't had the time devoted to logging and the community like I should have. I am finally getting things straightened out and can be back as a supporter again :)

Now for my success! I ran my first ever half marathon yesterday- 13.1 miles for those who aren't sure how long that actually is. To put this into perspective, I ran my first 5k the first weekend in May. I wrote a similar success story after that race as well. Being that I really don't consider myself a runner, it was a huge victory for me. However, even though I'm not really a runner, or a good runner, I do have motivation, determination, and I love setting goals for myself. So, I decided to sign up for the half, knowing that I would have about 4 months to prepare.

Preparation was so hard for me. It was SO difficult to balance lifting and running that I had to actually give up lifting for about the last month before the race, which was really upsetting to me because I love it so much. However, with attempting long runs a couple times a week, I just didn't have 3+ hours to devote to exercise daily and had to make a choice. (I'm so excited today to get back to the weights that even though I can barely walk because I'm so sore, I'm going anyway haha. I'll do back and bis, I don't care. I just want to get back to it!)

I was a ball of nerves the night before and the morning of the race. There were over 1000 participants in the race, so when I arrived it was actually pretty breath-taking. Seeing so many people there for a common purpose and knowing that I wouldn't be alone in the struggle was a great way to calm my nerves before we started. The first 8 miles were easy-peasy. I surprised myself and kept a pace 1:30 faster than I had practiced for, but I felt great. Miles 9 and 10 I had slowed down about 30 seconds but was still passing others who were starting to drop off. Miles 11 and 12 I started to struggle and the last mile- 13- was by far the hardest. I had to just keep repeating in my head "I can do this, I can do this" and keep telling myself to put one foot in front of the other. It really, really helped that there were so many spectators all cheering us on, because I didn't have anyone that went to specifically cheer me on, but it helped so much passing people sitting alongside the course cheering and yelling out your number.

By the end of the race I was spent. My legs could hardly move, I wasn't sure how I was going to drive home, and I was so hungry that I devoured anything I could get my hands on at the pavilion after the race (bananas, bagels, fruit, etc.)

I had two goals- one to just finish the race without walking, two- if I completed number one- was to beat a time of 2:30. I made 2:17. I did it. I set a goal, and I accomplished it, no matter how hard I knew it was going to be. And I'm proud of myself for doing so.

Sometimes in this journey we forget that there's more to it than just the weight loss. I think that setting goals for yourself and going through the actions of completing those goals can give you a huge sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, beyond seeing the number go down on the scale.

I'm the one on the left.

a4x7pi.jpg

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!! I did my first half in April. It's such a big accomplishment!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Sometimes in this journey we forget that there's more to it than just the weight loss. I think that setting goals for yourself and going through the actions of completing those goals can give you a huge sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, beyond seeing the number go down on the scale.

First, CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST HALF!!

That's so exciting. :) I remember my first half, what a thrill!

And yes, I totally agree with the above. Finding goals and meeting them is SO empowering and can really keep you accountable and on target. It reminds you that there are other things beyond a number of a scale. Good for you!
  • gr8tfulmomof2
    gr8tfulmomof2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is totally inspiring to me. I have jogged for exercise for over a year now and have ran one 5k but do not consider myself a good runner. I have two kids that I have to run with (one in a stroller and one riding her bike) so it takes a lot of prep and work to even get to the track to practice! I have wanted to do a half for so long but have yet to be able to. This has encouraged me to stick to my goal and hoepfully one day I will!! Thanks!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I ran a Half yesterday too! Was it the River Run in Berea, Ohio? The scenery in your picture looks similar to our course.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow, 5k to half marathon in 4 months?! I think you're mistaken when you say you aren't a runner. Congrats! :drinker:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    This is great! I'm running my first half marathon next month. I ran my first 5k in March of this year. Way to go! I'm impressed with your time btw :) Yeah and you are totally a runner now!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Wow good work!

My first half is in 13 days. Soooooo nervous. I can only hope to do as good as you ;)
  • sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congrats, it is such an amazing accomplishment. I am also working toward smy first half next month. Every extra km I run, I aso feel so much accomplishment and am so proud that I actually did it.
  • tblackwell1234
    tblackwell1234 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So exciting!!!! I'm in training for my first Half now... Go girl! Thank you for sharing, Toni
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!
    You are awesome!!

Great summary/details.
    This MAY be the push that I need to train/do my 1st half-marathon.

question is now: will you go for a full marathon next?

Great job!
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half! They are addicting so be careful.... =)
  • dobfankris
    Options
    Congrats! This is very inspirational to read, thank you for sharing. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!