Extreme Weight Loss - i.e. The Biggest Loser

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    They go to a camp, for what, 6 weeks? Where they don't have to work for a living and ALL, like for 8 hours a day they do is work out. Ofcourse they gain weight back, no one can maintain that in real life.

And they have hurt themselves before, read this by the awesome Golda Poretsky - http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

^^^

It's a TV show. The contestants are coached, edited, and time is not real. Read through that article. If you have ever worked in entertainment, you know reality TV shows like this have nothing to do with reality. It is unhealthy, and the people who keep the weight off from BL are probably berated by NBC to do so because it's in their contract and NBC may end up with lower ratings if people start noticing the contestants gaining their weight back.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I cant believe how one of the guys can lose 20 pounds in one week, then 15 pounds in the next.

You have to realize that the show isn't based on week to week formats. I thought I read where they edit footage of a few weeks or even a month.
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There is a big different between Extreme Makeover, weight loss edition and The Biggest Loser. The Extreme weight loss edition I watch and it is very motivating. Of course, because they have the personal trainer with them, living with them, the first 3 months, helping them workout and eat right and stay under calories, and not work or go to school as usual, then it makes it out of our realm of realistic. That's why it's called Extreme - also the clients on there are much larger than myself, and I realize that when you get that much weight moving at first and cutting calories that drastically, the weight is just going to drop off.

The second quarter is when they start doing it on their own. They all have slip ups, gain some of it back or at least drastically slow down on how much they are losing. They are also lighter by then, and their bodies are getting back used to the calories and workouts, so they actually have to work harder, and suddenly doing it on their own and getting back into a normal lifestyle, they don't do as well. But then he helps them get refocused by 3rd quarter and they start staying the course more, from what I've seen.

That show has been very inspiring to me - I have no desire to go as "extreme" as they do - move out my LR furniture and replace it with gym equipment, or eat so low a calorie count, but as someone else on here said, I have been able to see all of my excuses used by them, and then see how, if they stick with it and give up making excuses, they have transformed their bodies, I know it is possible. The additional thing they do on that show is address any underlying emotional issues that keep creeping in causing the person to sabatoge themselves so that they can stay successful. He also focuses them on eating and being healthy.

I want to be that successful, and I think I can do it in a year or year and a half (want to lose over 100 lbs). It does come off more quickly in the beginning so it is totally doable. We just need to stay the course.