WAY under daily calories

MFP has set my daily calories at 1710, which seems a lot. I've been quite ill for twelve weeks, and i'm struggling to eat even half the recommended calories.

I keep being told that my body will be going into starvation mode if I don't up my calories, but i'm really not enjoying eating much due to the nature of the illness.

VERY frustrating, so am willing to accept any advice - be it about how to get more calories in me, or be ot about this starvation mode nonsense.

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    MFP has set my daily calories at 1710, which seems a lot. I've been quite ill for twelve weeks, and i'm struggling to eat even half the recommended calories.

I keep being told that my body will be going into starvation mode if I don't up my calories, but i'm really not enjoying eating much due to the nature of the illness.

VERY frustrating, so am willing to accept any advice - be it about how to get more calories in me, or be ot about this starvation mode nonsense.

Sounds like a situation for a medical professional/primary care physician. Logging will help w/ records of your low appetite to explain to your doctor what you're going through. And s/he would be able to recommend a calorie dense+nutritious supplement if necessary.

Seriously, take care of yourself! 3 months is too long to be undereating w/ an illness!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    If you've been sick for 12 weeks... I'd suggest seeing a doctor...
  • Ottinger13
    Ottinger13 Posts: 55 Member
    Most likely your calories are set at being very active, Since you are ill and not so active, just log what you eat and get better. Then worry about exercise and losing weight
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    I would definitely talk to the doctor. If you want to bump up your calories you could drink some of your calories in the form of juices or shakes maybe?
    Take care of yourself. I hope you feel better soon.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    You should definitely ask your doctor not us. We could recommend things like eating food with a higher fat content to get more calories in in less food but this really might not be right for your condition. You shouldn't be dieting if you're unwell though.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    How did you set up your calorie goal? How many pounds a week did you say you want to lose, and how active did you say you are? You may not have set it up ideally.

If you have not been well, you probably want to gradually increase your calories, not immediately jump way up. I agree you might want to call your doctor and ask.
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    I am not going to suggest you see a doctor, because that horse has been beat to death, but I do hope that you start feeling better soon. I am normally way under my caloric goal and am not sick. My problem is that I am simply not hungry or I forget to eat. One thing that I was told to do, by a doc when my weight was being closely monitored was to drink an Ensure once a day. It is jammed pack of nutrients and calories. Okay, confession time, I did choose the light version, but do not tell my doc that. I was able to slow the weight loss that he was concerned about. Today, when I find myself "skipping" too many meals I make a carnation instant breakfast drink. It is not much, but it is a way to get the calories in and some nutrients at the same time. Good luck and I hope that you start feeling better soon.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    You don't have to be sick to "not feel hungry". When you eat low cal for a time, it affects your hormones, there are hormones that tell your body when you are hungry and when you are full. When you deprive yourself, your body produces more of the "not hungry" hormone. This is a survival mechanism from back when people had to survive long periods of famine. Your body also will try to hold on to as much fat as it can to get through those times. It creates a yo yo pattern then so when you do eat properly, your body will store all of that too for the next time you deprive it. Unless and until you fix that hormonal imbalance, you will constantly have to yo yo diet to lose weight, or restrict calories more and more to see any weight loss which just perpetuates that imbalance. It's not healthy or effective.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    It depends what your issue is. If it's just not feeling hungry then choose more calorie dense foods when you do eat. Eggs, full fat dairy, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, lean meats, & use oils. If you're having digestive issues then you may have to make suitable choices but still choose the higher calorie option.

If you've been eating very little for 12 weeks your body will have adapted to that so you may need to force yourself to get more calories in. Plan a snack every hour or two of something nutritious that will get some calories in. You'll need to work back up to feeling like you can eat again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i'm really not enjoying eating much due to the nature of the illness.

if you're saying you have an eating disorder then you should be speaking to a professional, not random strangers on the internet