Replies

• 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    PB2=Oh, and only 45 Cal per serving.-1Tablespoon
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    . Do people measure it out using a teaspoon?

I use a teaspoon to eat it! :)

Steve
  • amberx1127
    Options
    I just bought this powdered peanut butter at whole foods. It is called "Just Great Stuff Organic Peanut Butter". I was VERY skeptical at first because I was like EW powdered peanut butter???? But I read about it online and people were saying it is great so I decided to buy it anyway. I tried it and it tastes GREAT! you just mix it with water. And even better it is only 45 calories per 2 tablespoons and only 1.5 grams of fat, when regular peanut butter clocks in around 180 calories and 16 grams of fat for the same serving size!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

It's actually more convenient to put the jar on the scale, tare it, measure out the amount of peanut butter you want (the scale reads negative at that point), and put it on whatever you're putting it on. That way you're still also weighing the inevitable smidgin that gets licked off the knife that didn't get weighed on whatever you put it on.

Love this tip, would be LIFECHANGING, except my scale doesn't do negative. After zero it goes to bars. :sad:
    Well, you could still do it, just without zeroing it first, then do a teensy bit of arithmetic. I should have thought to add that to my original post.

I also like PB2, but lately I've found that meeting my protein needs while staying in my calorie limit means I'm often under on fats. (I do IIFYM) So at the end of the day I'm usually tinkering around with my diary trying to find the exact amount to decrease my lean protein at dinner by and the exact amount of peanut butter to eat to meet my daily macros. Using PB as a fat source like that when I don't have many carbs left usually means stirring it into Greek yogurt, which is actually quite good!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale

Ditto. When I give myself a tablespoon...I tend to give myself way too much.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

It's actually more convenient to put the jar on the scale, tare it, measure out the amount of peanut butter you want (the scale reads negative at that point), and put it on whatever you're putting it on. That way you're still also weighing the inevitable smidgin that gets licked off the knife that didn't get weighed on whatever you put it on.

Love this tip, would be LIFECHANGING, except my scale doesn't do negative. After zero it goes to bars. :sad:

I'd be shopping for a new scale ASAP!
  • laceylucas86
    Options
    Peanut butter on toast is my diet salvation! It's very filling and satisfying. Sure, it's not a low-calorie food. As long as you carefully plan for the fat calories (no one should be eating a 0% fat diet, gee whiz!), it fits nicely in with any healthful eating plan. Like ANY calorie dense food, it is not suitable for mindless snacking, of course.

In my case, I actually use it /specifically/ to add healthy fat to my diet because I find it's terribly easy to end up cutting fat way too much.

I always measure peanut butter using a food scale. I put the plate and the bread on the scale, tare it to zero, and then add peanut butter until it weighs out at 15 or 16 grams per tablespoon. I always feel like if I used a volume measure like a tablespoon, not only would it be inaccurate but I'd end up leaving some portion of the precious peanut goodness on the spoon instead of in my mouth.

OOOOH smart! I like it :) and you don't dirty up a measuring cup/spoon too! ha ha thanks
  • kimswisher
    kimswisher Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use it in my breakfast smoothies for x-tra protein. I measure it with a tablespoon. All natural, nothing added but the nuts, and I drain off the excess oil.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    First of all, I want to say that I LOVE peanut butter. A lot of people justify snacking on PB with the thought "It's protein, so it's good for me." Not exactly true, though.

First of all, take a look at the nutritional information and listed ingredients on your jar of peanut butter. My much-loved jar of Jif lists the follwing ingredients:

Roasted peanuts
    Sugar
    Less than 2% of molasses, fully hydrogenated vegetable oils, mono and diglycerides, salt.

The nutritional information for 2 Tablespoons:

190 calories
    16 g fat (equivalent to 144 caloies)
    8 g carbs (32 calories)
    7g protein (28 calories)

So you can see that peanut butter is really more fat than anything else, and 144 calories is about 75% of the total calories in Jif peanut butter! We should really be thinking of peanut butter as a fat, not a protein.

As another example, my jar of Smuckers natural peanut butter contains just 2 ingredients: peanuts and salt. No added sugar. The nutritional breakdown is almost the same: 190 calories,16 g ft, 6 g crbs, 7 g protein. It has slightly less carbs because it has no sugar.

I think of it as a healthy fat with protein. Nothing wrong with that! Great fuel.
  • kimswisher
    Options
    use a measuring tbsp
  • kimswisher
    Options
    Is she human?
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. turn on scale (make sure you are measuring in grams). place the jar on the scale. grab a spoon eat the PB straight out of the jar (subtracting from the initial weight). :drinker:
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I measure out a tablespoon.... besides it's protein so it's actually good for you. A bit of calories and fat isn't going to hurt you.

This! I use a tablespoon.

Peanut butter is delicious!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I measure my peanut butter/cookie spread on a food scale.