Feeling really run down lately...

Options
I'm trying to figure out why I feel SOOOO run down and exhausted lately...is it just because I'm doing too much or is it because I'm doing too much AND still eating the same number of calories?

Here's the deal...

Lately I've been getting about 5-8 hours of sleep per night.

I eat 1,500 calories per day (40p/30f/30c). I'm 5'2" and 125 pounds with another 5-15 pounds to go.

I'm a lightly active person just in general life.

For most of the last year I've been doing 3 days of strength training with about 30 minutes of cardio and then 2 days of pure cardio at 45-60 minutes. On my off days I still try to have active rest days (walking to the grocery store instead of driving, etc).

Now, since the end of July I've been coaching youth cheerleading 3 days a week for 2 hours on each of those days (I typically see about a 500-700 calorie burn in those 2 hours) plus 3 days a week of strength training and 30 minutes of cardio. On my off day I still try to have that same active rest day.

So...am I so run down because I'm doing too much? Or am I so run down because I'm not giving my body any extra fuel during all of this?

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Some. My actual MFP goal for weight loss is only 1,200 calories. My trainer has me eating 1,500 to include my exercise.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hey Punky! :flowerforyou:

So, from what I can tell, you are netting something like 800-1000 cals a day and not getting enough rest. Also you have still been losing pretty quickly for being so close to goal. Even though you are small, I would personally love to see you eat and sleep a bit more. I think you would still lose- perhaps a little more slowly, but I am certain you will get where you want to be anyway!
  • Vain_Witch
    Options

So, from what I can tell, you are netting something like 800-1000 cals a day and not getting enough rest. Also you have still been losing pretty quickly for being so close to goal. Even though you are small, I would personally love to see you eat and sleep a bit more. I think you would still lose- perhaps a little more slowly, but I am certain you will get where you want to be anyway!

Hi Heather! :flowerforyou:

I'm losing at about a pound a week at this point. Is that too fast?
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I would try upping your calories (or setting you MFP goal to 1500 and then eating back some or all of your exercise calories) and striving to get 8 hours of sleep every night (though I know that's definitely easier said than done). It sounds like you're netting under your deficit goal pretty much daily and not getting enough sleep at least part of the week each week.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, but also have a question - How is your water intake? Are you increasing your water to compensate for so much extra activity? Dehydration can cause you to feel extremely run down and tired.

Also, changing seasons and shorter days start to take an effect too. I hope it gets better!
  • Vain_Witch
    Options
    I agree with the above, but also have a question - How is your water intake? Are you increasing your water to compensate for so much extra activity? Dehydration can cause you to feel extremely run down and tired.

Also, changing seasons and shorter days start to take an effect too. I hope it gets better!

I drink between 2 liters and a gallon of water per day (generally around 3 liters).
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

I agree with Heather P-Dawg. And yeah, with 5-15 pounds to go, a pound a week may be indicative of losing a little too quickly. Occasionally, sure, but not every single week. This close to goal, I would consider adjusting your goal to lose 1/2 a pound a week.
  • Vain_Witch
    Options

I agree with Heather P-Dawg. And yeah, with 5-15 pounds to go, a pound a week may be indicative of losing a little too quickly. Occasionally, sure, but not every single week. This close to goal, I would consider adjusting your goal to lose 1/2 a pound a week.

Ok, I just reran my numbers at 1/2 a pound per week and I need to bump up to about 1,700 calories a day. I'm going to do this slowly, but I'm gonna bite the bullet and do it!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    you need more sleep
    and your not doing enough.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's possible you need more carbs. A nutrition class I took online recently suggested a minimum of 140 g of carbs. The brain requires glucose for metabolism (can only use glucose) and carbs are the easiest way to get that. You could also be missing some vitamins or minerals (didn't look at your food log) - iron is one possibility, as well as B vitamins and probably some other possibilities. Five hours of sleep might not be enough for you (speaking as someone else who is chronically sleep deprived). If you can't get it all at night, try finding time to "power nap".
  • Vain_Witch
    Options
    you need more sleep

What do you mean I'm not doing enough? Just curious because I pretty much never even sit down unless I'm at work...
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    upping the cals a bit is a good idea, do you take a multi vitamin? Incorporating relaxation time and extra sleep can really help too.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like you're running low on energy. Try upping your calories two or three hundred for a few days, see how you go.

Well done so far, btw. :-)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    you need more sleep

You skim-read the post, right?
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the amount of mental energy that goes into coaching/instructing--especially high school or middle age girls. Add doing demos and/or choreography, and it can be fairly taxing.

Edit--just saw from your profile that you're coaching your little girl's squad. Coaching grade school or younger is probably just as taxing (if not more).
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Ok, I just reran my numbers at 1/2 a pound per week and I need to bump up to about 1,700 calories a day. I'm going to do this slowly, but I'm gonna bite the bullet and do it!

I agree with all of this Punky :smile:

I personally haven't ever known how you've stayed so peppy eating only 1500 cals per day with the huge burns that you have, but I don't mention it because it's what you and your trainer have worked out, and you certainly do your research and are aware of your own body and limitations etc. However, low energy may be a sign that you need to fuel a bit more for a little while.

I personally went through a huge energy slump and had to up my calories to maintenance for a few months before I felt ready to be "back at it".
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Agree. I think you should try it a few weeks and see ow you feel. Good luck sweetie!