Curves vs Gym

Options
I have a lot of weight to lose. Over 100 to go. I have been walking on the treadmill, but mostly swimming. With the summer ending it will soon be time to close up the pool and move on to some other kind of exercise. I want to start incorporating some kind of gym time, but I am not comfortable going to a gym yet... I don't think.

I know that if I feel like people are looking at me, I will not feel like I belong there. Especially with so much weight left to lose. And then I will not go. Although, I do have a couple of the Anytime Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness places around that might not be as crowded as a "real" gym.

I thought about Curves, but I can't tell by their website if it would be enough of a gym workout. I am going to go check out the local Curves location on Wed, but thought I would ask here and see what people had to say.

Thanks!!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout do you want? I'm not totally familiar with Curves, but I believe they mostly have machines and a circuit program of some sort that they advocate. Machines would be fine to start, but I would suggest learning compound barbell 9or dumbbell) lifts and doing a basic, full body compound lift program. You an use just bodyweight until you learn proper form. You could also look into a progressive body weight exercise program until you feel more comfortable in a gym. Definitely get in a mix of resistance/strength training and cardio.
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump... any one else? Any other opinions out there because quite honestly I have no idea what Jen said! lol That was like space alien to me!!
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Curves is fine to start if you are new to exercise or haven't done anything for quite some time. the problem with the program (my wife was involved some years ago) is that there is no progression. By that I mean you cannot increase the resistance of the machines (make it harder) and normally they don't like you staying longer to do more circuits (more volume of exercise) So once your body adapts to exercise you need to find ways to do more, or work harder, and it is difficult to do with the Curves program. Best of luck! Doing something is a good start :-)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I've never been inside of a Curves, but there was one next to my favorite pizza place in Florida so I saw the facility a lot. I only saw a group of machines in a circle and it looked like you just switched machines. If that is how the program works, then I can imagine that will get old quickly. I'd say the biggest deciding factor here is choose the one that you will go to or just do month to month so you can switch if you are unhappy.
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was a member of curves about 5 years ago. It helped me lose 50 lbs!

There are several machines in a circle, and you use each one for (if I remember right) 30 seconds, or maybe one minute. Sometimes they throw little games in there. I ended up transferring to a ladies workout express, which I liked better. More variety. I only quit that because the time of day that was best for me had this annoying girl working there that wouldn't ever stop running her dramatic little mouth at me through my whole workout!

My mom used curves and lost over a hundred pounds. But she did crazy fad diets too, and has since gained it all back. My grandma has been going for years, and hasn't lost anything. But she just gossips and never breaks a sweat. If you don't get your heart rate up, it's useless!
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh I just added 'curves circuit training', for 30 mins, since that's what they want you to do, and it says 204 calories. So it burns twice as much as walking one mile in 20 mins, but about 179 calories less than half an hour on your treadmill.

Oh, and curves will NOT let you out of your 12 month contract, so be SURE you want to be active there for a whole year, or you'll be tossing a lot of money out! Anytime is no contract, but I've never been. The guys my hubby works with love it for the lifting.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Personally, I chose a regular gym membership over Curves because I wanted somewhere that I could just go in on my own time and work out without having to socialize. I know someone who manages a Curves and the one here at least is very social. You do the workout circuit but they also throw in games to get everyone working together, call you if you miss X number of days in a row, etc. That combined with the fact that there was only one workout option AND that it was more expensive made me run for the anonymity of the gym membership.
  • tavinsmom
    Options
    I've tried both and for what it's worth, I'm not a Curves fan.

First: It's a very limited routine. I think if you are VERY out of shape or elderly it could be good, but even at 90lbs overweight, I found it pretty easy and really boring. It is the same all the time. You go in a circle to this annoying reminder to switch machines (I hated that!) The one I went to had horrible music too. (I'm sure you can use headphones, but I wouldn't have been able to hear the reminder to move)

Second: It is very limited hours. I'm not sure if all are like that, but the one I was at wasn't open Sunday, and was open only 5-6 hours a day, so not convenient at all.

I do think if you are very embarrassed being seen by people it might be better as its mostly older ladies (and no men at all)

Do you have a Planet Fitness near you? I belong to one, and I honestly am not to bothered by others as there are so many shapes/sizes ages there. I don't think most people even pay any attention. It's cheap, and has good hours.
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you are elderly Curves might be good - otherwise - I've been to Curves in the past and truthfully, you can get a basic gym membership for the same price with more variety. As the others have said, the machines are in a circle and you change stations at a prompt. The highest resistance on the machines was not a challenge even for me, which is saying a lot because I am not athletic. I sometimes didn't even break a sweat and I sweat when the temp is over 70 degrees F.. Also, at the Curve locations I went to, the ladies were more interested in gabbing than getting a workout in, so you sometimes had to wait for them to even notice that it was time to change stations before you could move on. You can't listen to your own music, etc. because you have to be able to hear the prompts - and - get this - you are WAY more on display there because you are all in a circle staring at each other. I was more self conscious there than at any gym I had been to. I know exactly what you mean about being self conscious at the gym. But, I promise, no one is watching us. There are ALL body types at my gym and the only staring that goes on is the young boys looking at the young girls. After being sized up by the Curves women for my entire workouts there, I couldn't care less about the crowd at the other gyms.

Edit: Also, the "trainers" at Curves are only Curves certified, which is limited. They aren't certified nutritionists, trainers, instructors. This is another benefit of a regular gym. The hours are limited too.

Good luck to you!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It would definitely NOT be my first choice.

I would keep walking- and keep focused on the diet.

I'll be honest with you- most people feel uncomfortable at the gym at MANY stages- extremely over weight - down to the straight up skinny fat. The being over weight aspect is just one thing to blame it on- but I can promise you- if you were a twig who was completely unfamiliar- you'd feel uncomfortable as well- it's just a different KIND of uncomfortable. It just takes getting used to.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you NO one is going to look at you and mutter to themselves- or crack a joke to their yoga pant clad girlfriend. It happens. There are shallow people EVERYWHERE.

But for the most part- every ELSE in the gym is there to do their own thing. I know when I see someone really over weight at the gym- I'm like GOOD FOR YOU. You are a steps beyond the people who are still on the couch. nothing but respect for people who are willing to come in and work hard.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i go to a 27/4 gym called Snap (may have a chain where you are) it's great. most people i've ever seen in there at PEAK times (6-8 am and 5-7 pm) has been ~15. usually it's just me and 2-3 other people. the door can only be unlocked with a key card, so i never fele unsafe
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I belonged to Curves for several years. I'm not a fan. It was good for some socializing, but didn't have the slightest effect on my fitness level, nor on my weight. I went faithfully, 3 times a week and tried to work hard, but it was just not effective.

I share your need to lose a lot of weight (so much that I really don't feel a need to have a final "goal" weight at this point). I also feel very self-conscious exercising in front of others. My solution was a used Nintendo Wii and several fitness "games". I posted a comparison of the 3 dance workout games I've tried earlier today. I'm much more comfortable exercising at home, by myself. I know some people really need the people contact, but I'm an introvert and was so mercilessly teased as a child about my lack of athletic ability, that exercising at home is the right thing for me.

I'd love to swim for exercise, but the hassle of driving to a pool, showering, changing, exercising, showering, changing, driving home is just too much of a hassle. Having the Wii in the spare room means I can go do some exercising whenever the mood strikes, although I have my regular routine built into my day (first thing, before breakfast).
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I have been having reservations about Curves and I haven't even gone in to see the place yet. And it sounds like maybe I was right according to the reviews here. I guess I am just going to suck it up and try a gym. Maybe if I don't wear my glasses I won't be able to tell if anyone is looking at me or not!! :embarassed:

Thanks again for the input!!
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! As I said above, people don't pay any attention to each other for the most part. I've got a good 35+lbs to lose, so I can be self conscious also, but I have NEVER EVER seen anyone snickering or pointing. Those people who are workout fiends are all into themselves so they don't pay attention to others. When I see someone at the gym who has weight to lose like me, I admire them because getting into the gym is the big step. Good luck to you!!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Gym. Curves will help you lose weight, but a real gym will actually get you FIT.
  • newfette81
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I have been having reservations about Curves and I haven't even gone in to see the place yet. And it sounds like maybe I was right according to the reviews here. I guess I am just going to suck it up and try a gym. Maybe if I don't wear my glasses I won't be able to tell if anyone is looking at me or not!! :embarassed:

Thanks again for the input!!

I am one of the biggest people that I see regularly at my gym (I have about 150 pounds to lose) and in my experience, people don't really look at you. they are there to do their own thing and don't really care about the people around them. I go to a local gym and not a franchise gym.

If anything the people at my gym have been super supporting. People are always smiling and it makes me feel really good when I do an exercise and people tell me afterwards that they were impressed I was able to do it!

I would visit a few different gyms, look around and see what kind of people are there. If you aren't comfortable, you wont go. I know this from experience and many months of wasted gym payments.

The first step into a gym is the hardest. But people are generally creatures of habit and you will get used to seeing the same people there all the time. I've even met a few gym buddies there to chat with and it makes the cardio time FLY by!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to go to a gym. Get the assistance you need correctly and don't fret about being looked at. Like the real world, most people don't pay attention to their surroundings. They are mostly involved in their own thing. And trust when I say that everyone that's in a gym started is a tough place (bodyshape and physical fitness) which is why they are still there now. Part of success is improving confidence in yourself. Take that first step.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Curves allows one kind of workout - it's circuit training. You pick a machine to start on, do it as much as you can for 30 or 60 seconds (I don't remember exactly how long) then move to the next. There is a mix of machines (different muscle group foci) and cardio stations (march/jog in place, jumping jacks, whatever). Everybody is on that same circuit. If that sounds like something you'd like to do day after day (they do change the order from time to time) then it might be a good place to get started.

However, I would get bored super quickly with that kind of workout -- that's why I never went beyond my 7 day free trial. I prefer to be able to chose more variety and to tailor my workouts to my goals.

You said you have access to 24 hour fitness. I've had good experiences there. I've seen people at many different stages of weight loss and fitness there, so you probably wouldn't feel like the only "newbie" there. My suggestion would be to get a few sessions with a personal trainer if you can afford it. They can teach you exercises to reach your goals and help you learn proper form. {You can also check the other gyms you mentioned … but I only have experience with 24 hour fitness as far as those you listed}
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Maybe if I don't wear my glasses I won't be able to tell if anyone is looking at me or not!! :embarassed:

Honestly? People rarely pay each other any mind at the gym beyond a cursory glance.

My best advice would be to take them up on the complimentary introduction to the machines so you feel confident that you know how to safely use them. The only time I'm actually self-conscious at the gym is when I'm fumbling around trying to figure out what I'm doing.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice as someone who also had 100 pounds to lose:

Concentrate on your diet first.

Once you have your diet under control and you can maintain a calorie deficit for 3 months, then you can start thinking about adding in a fitness routine.

I personally found it staggering to summon the willpower to just change my eating habits and trying to change that and change fitness habits would have been overwhelming.

I've never been in a Curves, but from the descriptions above a standard gym will let you do everything you can do in a Curves and more.

Steve