Is it necessary to have a cheat day?

Options
chargrove1990
chargrove1990 Posts: 35
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I joined MFP last month to get my weight back in order, and yesterday just so happens to be the very first day I did NOT go over my calorie intake since I joined. I was just curious on what everyone else thinks whether or not its necessary to have a cheat day. I feel like I've had a "cheat day" everyday for the last 2.5 years.

Replies

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I think you answered your question with your last sentence, yes? To lose weight (from your profile, that appears to be your goal), you have to achieve a caloric deficit, frequently.
  • rmontpetit
    rmontpetit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do what ever works for you... I don't have a "cheat day" because i will go too much over my calorie... But i do eat chocolate every day to avoid to feel that i am missing it too much But i fit it in my daily calorie. I am really the kind of person that if you tell them you can't do or eat that... it is the only thing i am thinking about...
    But for other a cheat meal or cheat day make them been better the rest of the time...
  • chargrove1990
    Options
    I suppose I did, haha! The main reason why I was asking is because I've heard from people that its good to have a cheat day, but like I said, I've never been able to stay under 1200 calories since yesterday, lol.

48919382.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • chargrove1990
    Options
    I completely agree! My weakness is soda. If someone tells me I can't have it, that's the very first thing I think about and I can't get it off my mind. So of course, knowing me, one sip of it and I'm hooked again.
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have planned cheat days. Like we went to a place for dinner that it was practically impossible to log calories while you ate without looking antisocial because your phone would be in your hand constantly. So I said eff it and didn't log that day.

Other than that, if I want a cookie, I'll have a cookie, and just log it.
  • TheBitSlinger
    Options
    I suppose I did, haha! The main reason why I was asking is because I've heard from people that its good to have a cheat day, but like I said, I've never been able to stay under 1200 calories since yesterday, lol.

Yeah, 1,200 is tough (reason # 34 I'm glad I'm not a girl). I struggle with 1,500. If I didn't do 17 to 18 miles a week running on a elliptical, I would never net out at or under 1,500.

How tall are you? I ask because unless your pic , unless it is an older one (you're very cute, btw, just throwing that in there to brighten your day), you don't look like you have much (any?) weight to lose.
  • privategrl
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here. I regained my weight over the last year (back injury, no - really, lol). I gave myself a cheat day for special occasions. Partly for me, so I didn't feel left out, and partly so that I didn't make everyone else feel uncomfortable. I feel like if it's someones birthday or something, it's polite to join in. Then I have a 'salad day' to make up for it. It's worth it to join in, and it never hurt my goals.
  • TheBitSlinger
    Options
    Oh, and cheat days "helping"... well, after you've been been at a calorie deficit for long time, it can help throw your body a curve ball by cheating a bit. I do this myself.

Now, I'm a food addict, so guys like me have to remember that we can't go back to snorting food like we used to.
  • chargrove1990
    Options
    Hm, that's a different take. I live with my boyfriend's dad {temporarily} and he buys a lot of snacks. {fudge brownies, swiss rolls, oatmeal creme pies, chips, etc.} so all of it is so tempting, but I'm trying a thing to where if I just even think about any of that, I'll drink water, and for the most part it helps.

48919382.png
  • TheBitSlinger
    Options
    Hm, sounds like your BF might be a both a dealer and a user. :laugh:
  • jrloveless
    jrloveless Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think if you really want to stick to your change of lifestyle (avoid the word diet!) you need to have a day where you indulge for ONE meal. Don't pig out and act like a chipmunk stuffing its cheeks for winter. Since I started using MFP again (also a three times user on here) and sticking to it, I have allowed myself one meal where I cheat but I don't stuff my face all day long and eat cookies or chips and I avoid soda completely. Only water. I've lost 9lbs in two weeks. If continually feed your body the same amount of calories every single day, it will become used to it and stop burning the fat The cheat meal confuses your body and tells it to keep burning. At least from my experience.

But I'm not a health care professional or a weight loss guru so I can't say for sure what works. Everyone is different, chemistry-wise and more.
  • chargrove1990
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and that picture is about 2.5 years old, haha! In my profile picture I think I was around 155 or so. My goal is 130 and I'm 189.5 {as of today}. I started at 192.5 which was my heaviest. I think all of my weight has fallen into my thighs and stomach.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cheat days". If fits into my calories, I eat it. One shouldn't feel as if they are cheating if they have a slice of pizza. For me at least, this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. So there's no cheating, there's only moderation.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1.dont think of it as a cheat day.
    2. just because it's a day different from your normal eating plan, doesn't mean it's a license to go and gorge. Have some ice-cream, just no the whole tub. Have a bag of chips (crisps or fries), but a sensible bag, not a family size pack. Have a bar of chocolate, but make it Dark Chocolate, nothing stopping you from saving half for the following week.
  • chargrove1990
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here. I regained my weight over the last year (back injury, no - really, lol). I gave myself a cheat day for special occasions. Partly for me, so I didn't feel left out, and partly so that I didn't make everyone else feel uncomfortable. I feel like if it's someones birthday or something, it's polite to join in. Then I have a 'salad day' to make up for it. It's worth it to join in, and it never hurt my goals.

Yes! That makes sense! I always cave on Thanksgiving, haha!
  • chargrove1990
    Options
    Hm, sounds like your BF might be a both a dealer and a user. :laugh:

Haha! He's trying! He's 5'8" and 160, I think. His goal is around 130 as well.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I personally do not do a cheat day because then the one cheat day turns into 2 cheat days which then turns into a week +. I try to allow myself "cheats" throughout my daily eating. With me I am really focusing on portion control as this as been a very bad problem with me.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I was willing to do whatever it took to cut my weight, same foods didn't stop me, results were so worth it........ I didn't have a cheat day thru my cut or maintenance,(250+ days) now I am on bulk and I will have one cheat day every two weeks, but with in reason.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat day only if I lost weight that week. For me, it's kinda fun and breaks up the monotony.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that it's necessary to have a cheat day, but I do feel (from personal experience) that it's important to not feel like you're depriving yourself. I find that even having a cheat treat, not necessarily a whole day, helps me to stay on track. I'm less likely to go on a crazy binge if I just give in to that one cookie every so often. That being said, I make sure that whatever treat I have will still fit into my daily calorie goals. That way I get to enjoy it, but without the crazy guilt of a binge.
This discussion has been closed.