Constructive Diary Criticism Requested

Options

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm new to the forum but not to myfitnesspal. I am 5'3", 180 lbs 32 year old female. I've gained about 8 lbs this year from a low of 172 last year. I've been logging my food, and I just started a new fitness schedule with running and strength training. I'm seeing a 0 sum loss on the scale. I gain 2 lbs then lose 4 lbs then gain those 4 lbs back. If you can see my weigh-in chart you will see what I mean. What am I doing wrong? I have my goal set at 1600 calories a day because I've read on here not to eat too little. My diary is public. I would love some constructive ideas on how to get my weightloss back on track. As of right now, none of the jeans I bought last year fit and it's almost fall. :(

I have noticed that you eat a LOT of refined (Junk). Refined items are full of salt and ingredients that "hook" you; they will NOT let you go easily. They will keep you CRAVING all types of stuff and you will not understand why. I suggest more, much more FRESH Cooked or raw fruit and veggies; you may be busy but in the end it is your Best Choice, Health-wise and for Wt Loss and maintenance.

Also, even though you may be inside of your calorie allotment, THIS alone should tell you that a calorie is NOT a calorie...in other words all calories are NOT equal. Either care about yourself and make LIFESTYLE Changes (MOST of us WORK at a job and have an active Life) or suffer through yo-yo dieting and wt gain/loss and possible disease later in life. MAKE TIME for HEALTH!

ETA: Learn from what YOU DO. Some people may be able to eat cake and candy and cookies everyday in moderation, that's kool for THEM, what is YOUR Body telling YOU!!! For Me, NO WAY, BUT I can eat tons of fruit and it comes right back out, and I lose wt.; What is YOUR Body telling YOU?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

lol, well, i looked at several weeks worth of your diary.

if you're going to throw a tantrum, then don't ask for advice.

That's just snarky and unhelpful. No need for that, why bother posting?

The OP specified that the criticism be CONSTRUCTIVE. Yours is DESTRUCTIVE.
  • kimberlymarie30
    kimberlymarie30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    People are losing weight everyday by staying under their calories, working out moderately, having plenty of water and eating processed foods. People on this board are so rude up on their no processed food high horse. Especially people with closed profiles telling people how they shouldn't eat processed food when they are probably eating it too.
    Thanks Hildy. I think you are the most level headed person on here.
    I do think that my downfall is not measuring. I need to get a food scale and start doing that. I've said this a couple of times now, but everyone can only harp on how badly I eat. When I don't eat that badly at all compared to most people that are at or above my weight that I know personally, yes people I know in real life. My current supervisor drinks at least 3 cokes a day and still weighs MUCH less than I do. I've never seen her eat anything remotely healthy. This absolutely no processed foods a bunch of bunk and is just another fad.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a part of the "you have to eat everything organic, fresh, non-processed", but I do live on an 80% -20% principle. I realize you don't want to constantly think about what you are eating but most people have to if they want to be a healthy weight. 80% of the time I "think" about what goes in my body (how I cook, who's cooking it, what it is, portion size...), 20% of the time I eat what I want, with in my calorie range. If I over eat, I work it off. It's an ongoing battle and maintance isn't a picnic either (reached goal in August 2012, gained 10 pounds back that I've been trying to lose for months...). It's not like you are good for 6 months, loose all the weight, and never have to think about it again. It's a forever thing and the more "good habits" you learn during this that stick, the better you'll be on the other side!

Good luck to you. More veggies, less stuff that comes packaged, more protein, less eating out, try new recipes, cook with whole foods once in a while...
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I eat processed food and love cheese cake! If you are not losing you just may need to lower your calories is all, and be careful about measuring. Most of us lead busy lives too. I'm a working mom of 2.

You did ask for advice??
  • Brawly78
    Brawly78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I went through about a week of diary and the only thing I really noticed is that you tend to eat processed food, not enough veggies and you aren't snacking enough. I try to eat every 3 hours, and on days that I exersize I shoot for about 1700 calories (but this will vary on your weight and activity level... in my experience however MyFitnessPal shoots way too low on calories). My rule of thumb, Don't eat from a package... and if you do, look at the ingredient list, if its over 5 - 7 ingredients and I don't recognize all of the ingredient... then I don't eat it. Wait, I wouldn't say I don't eat it, nobody is perfect, I just go by the 80/20 rule... 80% of the time I eat clean and I give myself 20% of the time to eat something more on chock full of preservatives, sugar and sodium just to make them edible, and they do nothing good for your body. Sorry this is really ramblie...

I LOVE eating clean, Iv been doing it since January of this year and I have lost 36 lbs.... if you are interested in reading more about it... check this blog out and the website has great recipes as well... Eating clean takes organization and planning, but is SO worth it. Okay, I'm done.

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/what-is-clean-eating/

Anna
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    People are losing weight everyday by staying under their calories, working out moderately, having plenty of water and eating processed foods. People on this board are so rude up on their no processed food high horse. Especially people with closed profiles telling people how they shouldn't eat processed food when they are probably eating it too.
    I do think that my downfall is not measuring. I need to get a food scale and start doing that. I've said this a couple of times now, but everyone can only harp on how badly I eat. When I don't eat that badly at all compared to most people that are at or above my weight that I know personally, yes people I know in real life. My current supervisor drinks at least 3 cokes a day and still weighs MUCH less than I do. I've never seen her eat anything remotely healthy. This absolutely no processed foods a bunch of bunk and is just another fad.

well, i personally feel that limiting processed foods is not just "fad". processed foods only emerged in recent history. human beings are NOT MEANT to eat large amounts of processed/fake foods. but i didn't even say anything about that, i simply suggested that you should increase your protein. another thing i suggested is that you get a metabolic panel done, but i'm guessing you skimmed over that. another suggestion i would make, that i haven't made yet, is in addition to a metabolic panel get a hormone panel done. i do NOT subscribe to the whole "calories in/calories out is the only thing that has to do with weight loss" camp, and my posts have not suggested in any way shape or form that i do. if anything, i've been suggesting the opposite. if you feel something is really wrong, then go talk to your doc, not an internet message board. weighing and measuring your food would be a good place to start though, and if that doesn't yield any results then talk to a doc about getting bloodwork done to see if there is any other underlying cause.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: WHAT is YOUR BODY telling YOU? My Mom used to tell ask us, "If your friend jumped off of the Empire State Bldg, would YOU follow?" She was telling us to THINK for ourselves and be Independent, do what is RIGHT for us...one size does NOT fit all! YOUR Body is telling you it does NOT like junk/refined stuff, listen now or pay the piper later.

Oh,btw, i do NOT buy "Organic", buy Local and conventional; I WASH all of My Produce with white vinegar and baking soda for at least 5 min. This is as good as "organic". But whole foods are the Healthiest and Best Choice. Clearly you are NOT here for Health but only for wt loss, but also clearly your body has another plan...follow the Intelligence of Your Body about your Body. Stop being Defensive and TRY!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It seems to me you should be able to lose weight at 1600 calories a day, even though it may come off slowly. The one thing I will say though is that MFP overestimates calorie burn for many activities. Perhaps get a bodymedia arm band or a heart monitor and use the activity burn from that instead.... or just eat 1600 calories and don't eat back your exercise calories.

Another option would be to lower your calorie goal to 1300-1400, and eat back the exercise calories so that you net that amount.

Personally I use the bodymeda arm band, it does a really good job of tracking my burn all day and all night long. I only take it off to bathe and swim, and when I swim it allows me to manually enter the activity. It automatically adjusts MFP. So I set my MFP calories to the BMR I would have at my ideal weight. Even when I don't exercise my arm band adjusts the calories up a little since I'm not at my ideal weight, either way I aim for 1000 calorie deficit according to bodymedia, and mostly just track calories on MFP without worrying too much about the plan as spelled out on here. The bodymedia is very accurate for me, and has really opened my eyes to how much MFP and exercise machines are off when it comes to estimating calorie burn.

If you aren't familiar with bodymedia, what I said probably makes very little sense, but if you are interested in learning more send me a private message. I don't sell bodymedia and I don't get any kind of kick back if you buy or not, I just use it and I am very happy with it, so I like to tell others about it.
  • kimberlymarie30
    Options
    I've always wondered how those body tracking systems worked. Thanks for the offer of help. I'll try to send you a message tonight so we can chat.
  • anngallagher123
    Options
    I, too, feel your pain.
    I've been undereating calories for several weeks and am not losing weight.
    I can't understand why the calories in<calories out isn't working for me.
    The advice I've got on here is mainly stuff like give up the mochas which I don't find very helpful.....there surely is a balance to be found?!
    Also the whole foods and the macros thing are beyond me. I've made what I think are healthier changes to my diet, cut portion sizes and cut out biscuits and desserts (more or less). I feel that my current diet is sustainable and I generally feel satisfied...I'm certainly not thinking about food all the time.
    The problem is I'm not losing weight.

:sad:
  • kimberlymarie30
    Options
    Ann you hit the nail on the head. Life is just not worth living if you are constantly watching and obsessing over everything is it? I went out to an Indian buffet with work on Friday. Was I supposed to eat a salad? hahahaha. Or was I supposed to say no thanks, you guys go poison your bodies with that terrible garbage while I sit here by myself and eat some carrots. That is NOT real life. It's just not!
    I am going to start weighing my food more and working out more now that I've gotten past the beginning stages of working out consistently again. I like this idea of 80/20. 80 percent eating on plan then 20 eating mostly what you want within your calories.
    I'm also going to look into the body media. I think that will help me alot as well, if I can afford it.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I missed this, but how long have you been trying to lose those 8lbs with no results? And when you see those "gains" of 2lbs or so, is it immediately after a high sodium day?

I've looked through your diary a bit, and I don't see anything "wrong" or "bad" with it. I'd suggest watching your sodium (you do have a few days where you go over, but who doesn't?) as it'll help with lessening water retention. Definitely get more protein in as well. The greek yogurt I eat only has 90 calories, and 16 grams of protein.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Kimberly,
    Before I start, let me refer you to the title of your original post: "Constructive diary criticism requested." That is what you asked for; that is what you're receiving. Let me also state up front that I am maintaining/recomping at my goal weight after losing over 40 pounds in about five months and then having surgery, that I am not a "clean eater," but I incorporate delicious frozen yogurt every day and fairly empty-calorie treats a few times a week into the 1460 calorie net target I'm maintaining at (being pretty active, I eat closer to 1700-1800 calories most days). And I am not an "annoying person" obsessed with my food. In fact, because I'm very busy with my full-time job, my household, and multiple volunteer commitments, I eat out more often than I prepare food at home. If you want to see what my days look like, I'll accept a friend request from you so you can poke around my diary.

Now, I'll share some things I see from a quick peek back at your diary. There is no criticism here, only observation, interpretation, and suggestions.

1. As a general rule, you don't seem to be eating much protein or fiber. On your diet, most people I know would probably never have a bowel movement. "Calories in/calories out" is the first step, but is not all that matters. A rule of thumb often cited on MFP is as follows:
    - 1g protein per pound of lean body mass (for a wild estimate, you could say this is 70% of your weight).
    - 0.35g fat per pound of total weight
    - let the rest fall where it may
    These two threads are very, very useful (more so than an arbitrary 80/20 rule imho) in figuring out those macros and still being able to eat your cheesecake.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity

2. You say you have set your TDEE at a level someone else has identified as "moderately active." You're also logging activities such as 30 minutes of walking here, 20 minutes of 5mph running there, 90 minutes of gardening, a few hours of cleaning, 30 minutes of mowing the lawn. People would normally include such activity in their TDEE. I see that you're not eating back all of those calories, but it appears that sometimes you are; hence I'd suggest that you may be double-counting your calorie burn in some cases. Whatever you include in your TDEE should not be logged as a calorie-burning activity. Here's a point of reference for you: My actual calorie expenditure matches my TDEE at the "sedentary" level on a day when I've covered approximately 2-4 miles walking at 3mph or above.

3. All of these entries in your diary appear to be estimates. It's not just food that needs to be measured accurately; it's also activity. A BodyMedia band or Fitbit might help you a lot by giving you a better handle on how many calories you burn every day.

4. You don't seem to log water at all, nor many other drinks aside from the occasional glass of lemonade or wine. When you eat processed foods, their higher sodium content can contribute to water retention. A solution to this, counterintuitive though it may seem, is to drink more water and flush it out. If you truly aren't drinking water (or something!), I would hazard a guess that upping your water intake would probably result in a fairly quick drop of a few pounds in "water weight."

I mentioned the "sedentary" vs "moderately active" TDEE. Here is another point of reference for you, just so you have something to compare with. Yesterday, according to my Fitbit, I burned 1850 calories. Subtracting out my BMR, the burn from physical activity was about 600 calories. That included walking over four miles, running another 1.5 miles or so at a pace of 5mph, 7 flights of stair climbing, and 68 flights of stair sprints (run up two flights, walk back down, do it again -- that took 40-50 minutes to complete and was sweat-dripping, heart-thumping, heavy-breathing fun).

I won't bother going any further with comments on food in general, because that seems to upset you. But if you measure your intake and output accurately and you work on those macros, especially getting your protein up, I believe you'll find yourself naturally making healthier and more weight-loss-conducive food choices over time. And you will lose weight, potentially gain strength, and end up firmer and leaner. The basic math does work. I think you're just dealing with too many unknowns in your equation at the moment.

Good luck with your quest to find what's holding you back and change it. I hope the time I've spent here helps you with that quest in some way.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Getting a tracker like the Bodymedia or the Fitbit, as previously suggested, could be a real help for you in setting a calorie target. I set mine way too low when I first started on MFP--I believed the 1200 it set me at, and while the weight came off like crazy, I was exhausted and wanted to kill people. Now that I have a Fitbit I have a much better idea of how much I burn in a day.

Now I just gave the example of setting your calories too low, but I think 1600 net might be a little high for you--I am at that level and am 6 inches taller than you. (Then again, I'm also a decent amount older than you, so perhaps it's possible that despite our height differences we have similar metabolisms.)

And because I'm an old lady, I'm going to encourage you to get more fiber, whether it's from fruits and veggies or from grains, whatever. It's not just a question of keeping regular--it should also help you keep your blood sugar more stable, and keep your cholesterol down if that's an issue for you. It may not be now, but trust me, it starts creeping up on you as you get older.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Ann you hit the nail on the head. Life is just not worth living if you are constantly watching and obsessing over everything is it? I went out to an Indian buffet with work on Friday. Was I supposed to eat a salad? hahahaha. Or was I supposed to say no thanks, you guys go poison your bodies with that terrible garbage while I sit here by myself and eat some carrots. That is NOT real life. It's just not!
    I am going to start weighing my food more and working out more now that I've gotten past the beginning stages of working out consistently again. I like this idea of 80/20. 80 percent eating on plan then 20 eating mostly what you want within your calories.
    I'm also going to look into the body media. I think that will help me alot as well, if I can afford it.

While I agree there is a balance to be found, if your goal is to lose weight then you need to put your thumb on the scale a little bit until you get to maintenance. If the Indian buffet is more important, that's fine, but your weight loss will be slower if not plateaued for a bit.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It appears that you want people to tell you how to lose weight without changing what you eat. And that just isn't going to happen. If you aren't losing weight, and you aren't under eating, then either you are logging more calories than you need or you are eating more calories than you log. It really is most likely that simple. Congrats on your previous weight loss, that is an awesome feat. But obviously, that method isn't working anymore or else you wouldn't be asking us for advice.

However, your attitude towards the people on this site (and people who accurately log) makes me think that your mindset is really your biggest weight loss obstacle. Do you really think that those of us who measure and log our food don't have families/jobs/lives? I, for one, do not eat particularly "clean", have a very busy career, family commitments, and several time consuming hobbies. During the week, when I plan my food in advance for the next day, I spend 10-12 minutes logging. On the weekends, when I log as I go, I spend less than two minutes per log, for a grand total of about 15 minutes per day. I am hardly obsessed or constantly thinking about food. In fact, logging consistently and measuring has made my life easier because it requires less thinking about food throughout the day.

You asked for advice. If you don't like the advice you have gotten, then don't take it. No harm done. But don't get angry and insult others just because you aren't happy with the answers you are getting.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I am a 31 yr old female and 1600 is actually pretty close to my maintenance calorie intake. I am at 1360 for weight loss. But tjat is net, I eat back my exercise calories.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It appears that you want people to tell you how to lose weight without changing what you eat. And that just isn't going to happen. If you aren't losing weight, and you aren't under eating, then either you are logging more calories than you need or you are eating more calories than you log. It really is most likely that simple. Congrats on your previous weight loss, that is an awesome feat. But obviously, that method isn't working anymore or else you wouldn't be asking us for advice.

However, your attitude towards the people on this site (and people who accurately log) makes me think that your mindset is really your biggest weight loss obstacle. Do you really think that those of us who measure and log our food don't have families/jobs/lives? I, for one, do not eat particularly "clean", have a very busy career, family commitments, and several time consuming hobbies. During the week, when I plan my food in advance for the next day, I spend 10-12 minutes logging. On the weekends, when I log as I go, I spend less than two minutes per log, for a grand total of about 15 minutes per day. I am hardly obsessed or constantly thinking about food. In fact, logging consistently and measuring has made my life easier because it requires less thinking about food throughout the day.

You asked for advice. If you don't like the advice you have gotten, then don't take it. No harm done. But don't get angry and insult others just because you aren't happy with the answers you are getting.

^^^This. Boom. :-)
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'd say recalculate your TDEE as sedentary, and then use your excercise as a bonus. If you use MFP cals for exercise (instead of say a HRM) I would only eat half (because MFP over estimates). I lost nearly 90 pounds on processed 'crap' and feel good, so I have no comments there. If you are truly measuring correct (enough) (and you must be, why else the 70 lbs loss?), all I can think of is a goal that is just a tad to high (which might also explain the loss-gain-loss-gain, which sounds like maintaining...).