Food diary query

Options
On the food diary theres a list of foods at the bottom i.e
Calories
Protein
Fat
Carbs
I take it ur meant to stay in between these but what happens if you go over these?
The reason I'm asking is I'm finding it so hard to keep them all under target

Thanks

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Those targets are set based on the percentages you have set for those macros. You can remove or change them if you want or just ignore them if you'd rather just stay in your calorie budget. Some people swear by eating a certain amount of protein or staying under a certain amount of carbs. If you don't understand how all that works or don't care to get that involved then just concentrate on staying within your calorie budget.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely try and stay under the calories one, if you can. Good luck!
  • Lo0n3y
    Lo0n3y Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Those targets are set based on the percentages you have set for those macros. You can remove or change them if you want or just ignore them if you'd rather just stay in your calorie budget. Some people swear by eating a certain amount of protein or staying under a certain amount of carbs. If you don't understand how all that works or don't care to get that involved then just concentrate on staying within your calorie budget.

Hi yes

I've ensured I try to keep below the calorie allowance but I think the calories I've set is too high but I'm learning lol

Thanks
  • Lo0n3y
    Lo0n3y Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Thank you, need to do something but it's all hard to understand when ur only learning lol
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I went and adjusted mine right off the bat. The sugar # was too low. Just putting milk in my coffee pushed me over the sugar limit, and a piece of fruit was the kiss of death. There is also a difference between natural sugar (found in dairy/fruit) and processed sugar. Its the man-made sugar that you need to cut (i.e. cookies, cakes, sugar in your coffee, etc) not the natural kinds and it doesnt differentiate.

The key is understanding which ones are problem areas for you. I want 30 g of fibre or more perday which is way more than the system suggests, and I rarely exceed my carbs with my dietary limitations so I lowered it and upped the protein %. If you consistently go over on your carbs then you should cut down on your wheat and flour foods, or over on sodium then cut down on packaged snacks and foods. Those numbers are there to help you balance your diet so you should be watching them, but do it with a grain of salt. Some days you will be over or under and that is fine- its about balance.

Enjoy life- you only get one!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I usually try to just not go too over on fat and carbs. Unless you have a medical condition do not worry about Sugar because they set it really low. Going over protein is usually a good thing too unless its some crazy high amount. Its all based off a percentage from your total allowed calories. You can also go in and custom change them.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

Thank you, need to do something but it's all hard to understand when ur only learning lol

Course it is. It's the same for everyone when they first start something new, you just gotta take it one step at a time.

You'll soon pick it up. :-) x
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

The idea is that you try to meet your calorie and nutrient goals without going to far over OR under.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I treat the protein number as a minimum ( I think the MFP guidelines are a little low on protein anyway). I try to stay under cals, fat, carbs and sodium. I wouldn't worry about the sugar levels unless you have a health reason to worry about it. The other (nutrients) I would aim to meet the 100% goals- iron, calcium, potassium, vitamin A and C etc...

If you just starting focus on the Calories and the macros (Carbs, Fat, Protein) once you have an idea of what it takes to hit or stay under, set goals for other things.

As far as weight loss is concerned, calories in v. calories out is all that matters. But, for overall health and fitness, you will want to start to pay at least a little attention to those other numbers.

Best of luck!