McDonald's French fries are mostly a vegetable...right?

Options

Replies

• AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Totally a vegetable. You should have seconds.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Does anyone really know?:noway:
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    In the last three years they taste different. My whole family noticed it. We don't even crave them any more. When they come with the meals, we no longer fight over them, and we leave about half a bag. So the fun is over.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My brother worked for McDonalds for 5 years and never said they were injected with beef flavoring....
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I worked for McDonald's too and didn't know it when I worked there. It's something that's done by the suppliers before they're frozen and shipped to the stores.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My brother worked for McDonalds for 5 years and never said they were injected with beef flavoring....

It is added during the initial processing before it is packaged and sent to the stores. The stores cook it in vegetable oil. It's ok the ingredient list and McDonalds does not deny it. They have said they do not plan to change the process after the vegetarian complaints.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    What's the oil and salth threshold for realness? I just made some fries at home, need to know if they're real or not.

Whatever your own taste buds tell you, I suppose. My guess is that if you made them at home, they are less salty and less oily than the ones at McDonald's. :wink:
    I really stopped thinking McD's fries were real food after my mom washed two of them in my 3 year old nephew's overalls pocket and they made it through the washer & the dryer looking the same as when he was eating them the day before. Doesn't it have to be mostly preservatives to survive soap, water, fabric softer and a tumble through the dryer?

Not if I'm doing it right. The goal is to make them taste like McDonald's fries without having to leave my house. I even spritz those bad boys with beef broth.

LMAO - good luck with that. Have you installed a heat lamp to keep them under for 15 minutes after frying and before eating? :laugh: :laugh:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Ketchup is considered a vegetable too in school lunch programs.

French fries are a vegetable made from a potato which is a starchy vegetable and the Irish people lived on them pretty well until that famine came to Ireland.

hA852964F
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Beef extract? thought they were suitable for vegetarians... But they're delish with mayonnaise - if you're going to cheat, do it in style and log it! NOM x

Oh yes. I haven't had any in 9 months now...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What's the oil and salth threshold for realness? I just made some fries at home, need to know if they're real or not.

Whatever your own taste buds tell you, I suppose. My guess is that if you made them at home, they are less salty and less oily than the ones at McDonald's. :wink:
    I really stopped thinking McD's fries were real food after my mom washed two of them in my 3 year old nephew's overalls pocket and they made it through the washer & the dryer looking the same as when he was eating them the day before. Doesn't it have to be mostly preservatives to survive soap, water, fabric softer and a tumble through the dryer?

Not if I'm doing it right. The goal is to make them taste like McDonald's fries without having to leave my house. I even spritz those bad boys with beef broth.

LMAO - good luck with that. Have you installed a heat lamp to keep them under for 15 minutes after frying and before eating? :laugh: :laugh:

No, I just put them in the oven on the 'warm' setting for a little while. Basically the same process, since my oven is electric.

The process is slice->spritz->quick fry->spritz again->Finish frying->Salt

That said I usually see my fries come out of the fryer and get dumped and salted. Sounds like you visit a crappy McD's if they're able to keep fries around for a whole 15 minutes at a time, tbh.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No, I just put them in the oven on the 'warm' setting for a little while. Basically the same process, since my oven is electric.

That said I usually see my fries come out of the fryer and get dumped and salted. Sounds like you visit a crappy McD's if they're able to keep fries around for a whole 15 minutes at a time, tbh.

You are basically a genius.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I will eat your fries if you don't want them.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would never eat McDonald's French Fries! I make my own at home out of cauliflower.
    Pm that recipe yo!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My sarcasm meter is working just fine but I couldn't resist responding to the assertion that potatoes are a "carb" or "starch" and therefore not a vegetable. Really? Really?! Below is a list of root vegetables of which the potato is one. But PLEASE...do not fry any of these or they immediately cease to be a vegetable and become something bad and evil. Tossing them in olive oil sprinkled in sea salt and roasting at a high temperature may make them slightly less evil. Your mileage may vary.

Ahipa (Pachyrhizus ahipa)
    Arracacha (Arracacia xanthorrhiza)
    Bamboo shoot (Bambusa vulgaris and Phyllostachys edulis)
    Beetroot (Beta vulgaris subsp. vulgaris)
    Burdock (Arctium lappa)
    Broadleaf arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia)
    Camas (Camassia)
    Canna (Canna spp.)
    Carrot (Daucus carota)
    Cassava (Manihot esculenta)
    Chinese artichoke (Stachys affinis)
    Daikon (Raphanus sativus Longipinnatus group)
    Earthnut pea (Lathyrus tuberosus)
    Elephant Foot yam (Amorphophallus_paeoniifolius)
    Ensete (Ensete ventricosum)
    Galangal (Alpinia galanga)
    Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
    Hamburg parsley (Petroselinum crispum var. tuberosum)
    Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana)
    Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus)
    Jícama (Pachyrhizus erosus)
    Mashua (Tropaeolum tuberosum)
    Parsnip (Pastinaca sativa)
    Pignut (Conopodium majus)
    Potato (Solanum tuberosum)
    Prairie turnip (Psoralea esculenta)
    Radish (Raphanus sativus)
    Rutabaga (Brassica napus Napobrassica group)
    Salsify (Tragopogon porrifolius)
    Scorzonera (Scorzonera hispanica)
    Skirret (Sium sisarum)
    Swede (Brassica napus Napobrassica group)
    Sweet Potato or Kumara (Ipomoea batatas)
    Taro (Colocasia esculenta)
    Ti (Cordyline fruticosa)
    Tigernut (Cyperus esculentus)
    Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
    Turnip (Brassica rapa Rapifera group)
    Ulluco (Ullucus tuberosus)
    Wasabi (Wasabia japonica)
    Water caltrop (Trapa natans) or (Trapa bicornis).
    Water chestnut (Eleocharis dulcis)
    Yacón (Smallanthus sonchifolius)
    Yam (Dioscorea spp.)[2]
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

You are basically a genius.

I try. :wink:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Ketchup is considered a vegetable too in school lunch programs.

French fries are a vegetable made from a potato which is a starchy vegetable and the Irish people lived on them pretty well until that famine came to Ireland.

hA852964F

Yay! I got a GIF :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    LOL at this topic.

They taste terrible to me. If I want some good chips, I will go to a fish and chip shop. If I want something that just tastes like bucket loads of salt, then I'll generally make something with bucketloads of salt :tongue:
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    No its mostly oil.
    + beef fat
  • JWB42
    JWB42 Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't know what's worse? The fat they are fried in or the POUND of salt they put on them. Step away from the fires!:bigsmile:
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    bth_Gif-gif-Funny-****s_medium.gif