I NEED ADVISE SINCE I AM COMPLETELY CONFUSED

Options
Hi Everyone. All this time and I did not even know how to post, LOL! Ok, this is my dilemma. I started this with a goal weight of 145 lbs. I also expected to stop when I reached a size 8 thinking both would coincide. Ok, I am at 150 lbs, fit beautifully in to size 8. I workout 1 - 2 hrs daily and pretty firm. So, should I be content with my size (btw pre-bought all new clothes in size 8) or continue to try to lose to my goal number and return everything. I am obsessed with the number on the scale. BTW, I am 5'6". What matters to you size or weight?

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    What matters is how you FEEL, not your size or your weight. If you are happy in your own skin at 150 (and its a healthy weight for your height) then thats fantastic! Theres no need to get to 145, but if you don't feel happy then shoot for 145.
  • mmatteson
    Options
    I would ask yourself....are you happy with how you look and how your clothes fit? Someone once told me that it's only a number on the scale, but if you can be happy with how you look and how you wear your clothese...the number doesn't matter, it's just a number. My recommendation...keep doing what your doing to maintain your current weight, enjoy wearing the size 8 clothing, and be ecstatic about meeting your goal. Enjoy what you've accomplished and don't obsess about the number.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's best to get to the weight you feel best at. Do you feel like you failed if you don't get to 145? If so then go for it. I know Not making it to a goal weight can be hard to accept. Good luck!
  • gingajoy
    Options
    If you're a size 8, and *feel* great, then I personally feel the number doesn't matter. Why let a digit interfere with you congratulating yourself for sticking with it and getting down to that size?! Chances are you'll lose a bit more anyway, but maybe that's just a bonus --not something you need to really strive for.
  • PootysMom
    Options
    I believe size matters over weight. I remember when I was in secondary school, my girlfriends would obsess over what the scale said. I was always considered "borderline overweight." However, I was more active then my friends. I danced 10 hours a week. I had 5% body fat, but because of that scale and my friends I felt fat and wasn't happy. Looking back that is RIDICULOUS for me to have felt that way.

My advice to you is make a pro and con list to your situation. Talk with your doctor and decide what your body needs. If you start cutting out things to get those last 5lbs you may do more damage to your body than good.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    A woman weighing 150 pounds with 19% fat will look much smaller (and be much healthier) than a woman at 150 pounds with 35% fat. They weigh the same, yet the composition is different. Because muscle is more dense than fat the person with less fat and more muscle will look smaller.

It's fair to say that 5lbs of muscle will be almost half the size of 5lbs of fat.

So, in reality, your toned up 150lbs sexy bod is probably closer to the 145 less healthier counterpart... If you feel great and love what you see - then you've reached your goal: MEETING THE REAL YOU! Congrats!
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    i've been sitting around 142 pounds and I'm now size 7/8, working out intensely at least 35 minutes a day, walking a lot, often have other little sports or dance things here and there for more exercise... honestly I feel pretty great. i'm not quite where i want to be yet, but i'm more athletic than i've ever been and that's probably the coolest part of this whole thing for me. size matters more than weight to me. i don't run around going 'omg she must be at least 180 pounds' or something... i don't think about the number because it varies so much.
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this is what I thought and I guess needed to hear this from someone other than my husband! I do feel great! :bigsmile:
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    Size and how you feel!! The number on the scale means NOTHING! I have a friend with a supermodels figure - she is my height and build basically but much more toned and much lower body fat percentage than i have - I'd love to have a figure like hers - and she weighs almost 20 pds more than me! When ever I get crazy over the scale i think of her and remember that there are other ways to measure my success and weight loss - feeling good and fitting into the clothes i wanna fit into is so much more important than reaching some ideal number on the scale.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on how you feel, because it was all your money when you bought those clothes :)

What I would say is that you shouldn't be so concerned with the number in the scale as long as you're working out, eating right, and your clothing is fitting nicely. You might not have hit the 145 lb mark because despite losing body fat, you gained muscle, which is SO important. Muscle is denser than fat, weighs just the same, and whereas fat is bulkier than muscle, muscle is lean and will usually replace the deficit on the scale when losing weight from primarily fat.

You could also have hit a plateau from your body acclimating to your workouts, no longer responding as well to the exercises that made you drop pounds so well before. If that's the case, see what happens when you switch up your cardio and strength training routine especially.

The only solutions I see here is you either just be happy and accept your body at 150 for what it is (not to say that 150 is a bad weight, it's great!) or admit that because you concerned with the number on the scale, you are probably unhappy, and should look to change it. Your happiness is ultimately the most important thing. Just make sure your actual health and your dream body coincide.
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would say is-- does your doctor feel you are at a healthy point ( body fat, blood pressure, cholesteral...)
    The second thing I would say is-- do you love how you look in your clothes-- if so, enjoy it and maintain it.

I too want to love how I look in my clothes (and out of my clothes :wink: )-- that's my real goal.
    My niece & I are the same height (5'8") She weighs about 15 lbs more than me, but has a rock hard body and wears a size 6-- she an athlete-- me not so much. But, I'm working on it.

Congratulations on the size 8 !!!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I would go with how you feel. Are you satisfied with your body when you look at yourself in the mirror? Size, weight, all numbers are irrelevant. It's about how healthy you feel.

My goal weight is 135lbs, I'm only 1 pound away from that goal. But I don't think I'll be satisfied with how I look at that number. I want to lose more fat but also tone. So who knows what weight I feel more comfortable at. I could weigh 140lbs when all this is over because I put on more muscle. I just want to feel good about myself regardless of what number the scale says.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    Hi Everyone. All this time and I did not even know how to post, LOL! Ok, this is my dilemma. I started this with a goal weight of 145 lbs. I also expected to stop when I reached a size 8 thinking both would coincide. Ok, I am at 150 lbs, fit beautifully in to size 8. I workout 1 - 2 hrs daily and pretty firm. So, should I be content with my size (btw pre-bought all new clothes in size 8) or continue to try to lose to my goal number and return everything. I am obsessed with the number on the scale. BTW, I am 5'6". What matters to you size or weight?

I would just hang out at 150 for awhile and see how it fits you. You'll know soon enough if you really care about those 5 pounds.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    This is rhetorical right? You're just bragging. Why get hung up on numbers. You feel good, you look good. Just enjoy it.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    It really depends how your figure is. I don't want offend, but if you're big boned, you probably won't go smaller. I'm thoroughly jealous that you are 5 sizes smaller than me. What does your BMI say your healthy weight for your height is? If you can't find it, go to tools, and the BMI button should be somewhere at the top of the page.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    It really depends how your figure is. I don't want offend, but if you're big boned, you probably won't go smaller. I'm thoroughly jealous that you are 5 sizes smaller than me. What does your BMI say your healthy weight for your height is? If you can't find it, go to tools, and the BMI button should be somewhere at the top of the page.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    WHOOPS! Double post. lol I just looked at your BMI, and for your height, it looks like your weight is healthy.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    first what does your doctor say?

second...how do you feel? healthy living isn't about size/scales. it's balance within your eating, movement, family and life events. eat healthy, workout with a program you enjoy to be healthy...where ever the scales and sizes land is, well, were they land.

i have a goal weight. but honestly, with how toned my body is in my 10/12's, i don't know that i will get the last 14 pounds off. and i'm okay with that. i am in this for life to be healthy. i won't go back to eating processed foods. i will keep working out 4-6 times a week so that i FEEL good and continue a healthy lifestyle.

do what works best for your body, and what your doctor thinks.
    Jane
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!:flowerforyou:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    i'm 170 and in size 10, if i was at 150 and size 8 I wouldn't know what to do with myself! lol.
    BE HAPPY! ENJOY IT!