Feeling tired/sleepy at 1,500 calories..bumping up..?

Options
I've been feeling kinda tired/sleepy toward the end of the day. I have a feeling perhaps my intake calorie intake is on the low side (I'm 5'9", 176, 40 y/o) or is being tired/sleepy a normal adjustment to my new eating lifestyle in the beginning? I asked a few friend of mine that a exercise hounds and they say that the 1,500 is low..and to go to 2,000. I workout everyday doing Insanity..just feel like I get zonked toward the end of the day. Have anyone else gone through this?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I was eating more than 1500 cals a day when doing Insanity and I am 23 y/o, 5'7 and 130lbs. I definitely think you could stand to go higher in cals.

See here on how to calculate:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I'm eating 1,500 calories now and I feel good on it. But you are a guy and I'm a girl - guys need more calories than we ladies do. :grumble:

I'd suggest bumping it up, and if you're following the MFP standard calories than you should be eating back most of your exercise calories too!
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Your diet is quite fruity, I find fruit quite hollow / crashy, maybe try replacing those calories with more satisfying lasting fatty / protien / lower GI calories.
  • easy2putt
    easy2putt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Are you using the Insanity nutrition guide? If not, why not?

To be honest, I just can't stick to "what to eat" menus..yeah, I need to eat a big steak..j/k.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Having had a look at your diary, I'd suggest you try to cut down on your carbs, especially the sugars. You're eating box cereal and cereal bars--both tend to be loaded with sugar, and you'd be better off replacing those with unsweetened cereal (such as steel cut oats, for instance) and nuts.

Thing is, carbohydrates and sugar in particular can actually make you feel really, really sluggish. If I don't eat clean, I tend to feel exhausted five minutes after getting up in the morning.

Hope this helps!
  • easy2putt
    Options
    Does extra fruit add too much sugar? Perhaps I should go back to my other meal replacement..still trying to figure it out..
  • bstela
    Options
    I agree with sabinecbauer, try different oats maybe and nuts? I notice that I'm not as tired when I mix my own cereal with different grain for example. And I've also noticed that I'm very dependent on coffee - which I now try to switch with green tea (mild one). :-)
  • easy2putt
    Options
    Think I figured it out. I started MFP on Fri., 9/6, and felt fine..ate a bit more than I wanted but anyway..

I started feeling tired/worn out starting Saturday, 9/7.

I was reading around today and my total protein intake is way too low. Looking at Friday's total protein I was finished at 121g..felt good. Interestingly, on Saturday my total protein was 54g, Sunday it 77g, Monday it was 104g (felt the best yesterday BTW).

Today I felt tired but after reading about maintaining protein to have energy, I ate some cheese and feel a bit better..total protein is only at 79g..but not like Friday's total protein level of 121g.

I was reading that you are supposed to take your body weight and multiply by .75 to find out your daily protein intake should be.

I'm 174 (at the moment) X .75 = 130.5g of daily healthy protein requirement.

A-HA!! (that's probably why I felt good on Friday..even though not at 130g..it was the highest at 121g.)

*read it on www.draxe.com/raw-protein BTW*

I would love to hear what you guys have to say about this and if you agree or disagree on maintaining this protein level to have energy.

I know that I'm not eating the way I used to, which kinda makes since, because I was probably getting enough proteins eating what I wanted back then..or last week..eating healthy is tougher than I thought.