Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How can I combat hunger without ruining any progress?

snaptom
snaptom Posts: 14 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm hungry!!!!! Help!

Replies

• I eat quite a bit of vegetables (mainly cucumbers and green peppers) when I am really hungry and I don't want to go over on my calories. Vegetables are low calorie and filling.
  • I trust one thing and one thing alone: WATER

Just drink loads of it and it'll keep you for an hour or two!
  • keep celery sticks and carrots in your fridge, they're crisp and you can eat a relatively large amount of them - i make sure there is always a supply in the fridge for those manic 'open the cupboards and search for something to stuff in my face' moments ;)
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Protein. And fat. Lean protein, for my money, is the most satiating calorie for calorie.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    if you open your diary ... it will help to see your daily cal goal, your exercise, what you are logging, etc.

you may need more food - so i would tell you to eat.
    you may just be in a snacking mood so i would tell you to get up from what you are doing and walk around, drink some water, and see if that "mood" goes away.
    etc.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Protein. And fat. Lean protein, for my money, is the most satiating calorie for calorie.

^^^^ this - eat lean protein with every meal - closest thing you get to magic....
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    I'm hungry!!!!! Help!

If you are genuinely that starving hungry, eat something with lots of protein in it, eggs are good for that. Protein is filling.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    tea
  • addict4fashion
    addict4fashion Posts: 1 Member
    Green tea
  • snaptom
    snaptom Posts: 14 Member
    Awesome guys! Thanks :)
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Agree with the protein. Boiled eggs, cheese, tuna pouches all have a lot of bang for your buck.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    I try to eat well but sometimes I get the major munchies late at night so try to save some cals for then. Last night I wanted sweet stuff and I ate a small apple- very filling and helps you eat less after then as the night went on I tucked into a weight watchers chocolate eclair and 6 low fat melba toasts with a serving of chocolate philidelphia. All that sweet food came to just under 300 cals and was a nice treat that fit my macros that day.
  • zebszee
    zebszee Posts: 31 Member
    I add psyillum husks to my fruit/soya milk shake, they swell up and make you feel full for hours with zilch calories :glasses:

42803599.png
  • Well, i'm going about this all cold turkey so...I more than feel your pain...haha.

As much as it pains to say this, drinking lots of water should help a good bit. (I used to hardly ever drink water...well, that's changing... >.<)

After all, some times you think you're hungry...but really it's your body telling you that you're thirsty. ;)

Eat some fruit, or there are those 90 calorie fiber one bars...I tried a chocolate pretzel one earlier...really wasn't bad. :)

Just, really keep track of your calories, carbs, fats...yada yada...try not to go over your set goal the best you can. A few is OKAY, but...try and stick as close as possible. (I'm still learning the ropes too. @.@)

Also, have you ever tried the Ensure drinks...the Butter Pecan is actually kind of good... *pokes index fingers together* ^u^

Good luck, we can get through this!! :D
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Popcorn made on the stovetop with a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan, sprinkled with nutritional yeast, and 10 grapes.
    Eating the two small snacky things alternately is so satisfying, and it's all nutritious.
  • ameryati
    ameryati Posts: 18 Member
    Fruits & vegetables plus loads of water!
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    I go for water and a change of scene - something to distract me until the hunger passes. Fill up a bottle of water and go for a walk - if I'm still hungry when I get back then I'm genuinely hungry so I eat something - most of the time I'm not really hungry and it passes. It's more likely I'm bored, or thirsty or in the habit of eating.
  • I'm hungry!!!!! Help!

If I have some calories left or I am about to do a big work out Il eat a banana or some chicken or a hard boiled egg

If I have the munchies and I know its because I am bored at work or trying to avoid smoking as opposed to genuinely hungry, Il have a pint of water or sugar free squash and like someone else said celery or carrot sticks are almost calorie free but satisfy the need to eat

:)
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    As others have mentioned it would help to see your diary and to know your daily calorie goal against what you are eating.

Totally agree with the protein comments, I try and start my day with a couple of eggs, scrambled or in an omelette, maybe with some chopped vegetables or even 25-50 g of smoked salmon added (smoked salmon is not the expensive food it used to be). Lean meat or fish protein are also added to my other two main meals per day. I then snack on fruit and vegetables in the day if needed or even a full fat Greek yogurt with pumpkin seeds added (both are also good sources of protein)

It is also possible that you need to split your day into more meals as some people find it better to eat 4,5 or even 6 meals a day, they are just smaller so that the calorie goal is met
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Well, i'm going about this all cold turkey so...I more than feel your pain...haha.

As much as it pains to say this, drinking lots of water should help a good bit. (I used to hardly ever drink water...well, that's changing... >.<)

After all, some times you think you're hungry...but really it's your body telling you that you're thirsty. ;)

Eat some fruit, or there are those 90 calorie fiber one bars...I tried a chocolate pretzel one earlier...really wasn't bad. :)

Just, really keep track of your calories, carbs, fats...yada yada...try not to go over your set goal the best you can. A few is OKAY, but...try and stick as close as possible. (I'm still learning the ropes too. @.@)

Also, have you ever tried the Ensure drinks...the Butter Pecan is actually kind of good... *pokes index fingers together* ^u^

Good luck, we can get through this!! :D

I posted early on that I was struggling to meet my protein goal and the general consensus was that the MFP Protein goal was low and to consider it a minimum. I did and still 16 lbs down in 4 weeks
This discussion has been closed.