Dukan Diet Anyone? Success/Tips?

Options
Hi Everyone!

My wedding is in May and I've been trying to drop 50lbs at least. I am overweight, so I do want to begin changing my lifestyle, too. I'm so tired of being a heavy girl. Anyway - I've been researching recipes on Pinterest and came across this diet Princess Kate did called the Dukan Diet.

Everyone who was commenting and even the "tester" (author of the article) stated she had lost 40lbs. in 5 months. The diet consists of four phases, and the most helpful I thought was the "attack" phase in which you consume large amounts of protein. Looking at the diet/menu for it - it does not seem extreme. Breakfasts included omelets and cottage cheese, and lunches chicken breasts and yogurt. The second phase has you add in veggies and such, too. You are able to "eat until full" with protein in the phases I am reading.

I have a tough time sticking to diets as I lose motivation so quickly or because I can't eat the food (I.e - Soy milk..blehhhh) - but this sounds doable!

Has anyone tried this before? Here's the article I read:

http://www.mythirtyspot.com/2011/03/kate-middletons-pre-wedding-diet-plan.html
Jen

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Many people have done it. Attack phase and "Pure protein" days (Thursday ?) are low fat and low carb hence tend to be a few hundred calories and unlikely to be over 1000. That'll give people cognitive dissonance problems on here so good luck with your discussion ;-)
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I tried this once, I did lost weight very quickly (about 4 pounds the first week, which is too fast for me) and gained it back as soon as I stopped. I decided to do it because I really like lean protein foods, cottage cheese etc and figured I'd be fine with the restrictions, but honestly, I was constantly starving, and miserable. I never really figured out what to do with the oat bran either - tasted like what I always imagine gruel to be like.

I would only ever consider it again if I needed a serious quick fix, like an event two weeks away I can't fit into my dress for. Otherwise I don't rate it very much!
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I tried it about 3 years ago but I wasn't very committed - I lost 14lb the first month but I drifted away from it and put it back on. It will work if you want it to work and are serious about it but if you let bad habits sneak in (like I did) the flab will pile back on.
    Good luck!
  • Tucksy
    Tucksy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost weight with Dukan over two years ago, but due to stress and loss of focus (and some happy times :-)) it all came back! While I enjoy protein meals, I have questioned whether this is a balanced diet (as there is very little/no fruit) and so have been trying several other diets to control my weight since then, WW, calorie restriction, protein shakes, lots of exercise. While these diets worked for me when I was younger, now I am 49 Dukan is the only diet that can shift the weight and stop me hitting numerous plateaus. I have now been back on Dukan for two weeks, one week Attack and am now on Cruise. I lost 2kg during the Attack phase and have lost a further 1kg on my first week Cruise which is predicted by the Dukan website. Ifeel fantastic, so clearly the foods do agree with me. You can go onto the official website and it will give you a free estimate of the timescale it will take to reach your True Weight using the Dukan diet. It is extremely important to stick to the rules as Dr Dukan says one slip up is like "pricking a balloon". Whenever I feel like going off track, I think of that, and don't. As I have a sweet tooth, I use sugar free jelly and fromage frais as a sweet snack. Good luck with your progress.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I went to the website and looked at the diet. It sounds like there's plenty of support, especially if you choose to pay for coaching. If you are not an experienced dieter (and let's be honest, no one *wants* to be, cause that only means you've been through a ton of plans indicating you haven't found something that suits you) this sounds like a good stepping stone.

I say go for it! :drinker: Many people on here will disagree as I'm sure you'll find out. Mainly because the knee-jerk response is due to falling for fad diets. Diet styles are equivalent to religions on here :blushing: Anyhow, it doesn't sound extreme and like I said, there seems to be plenty of support.

Good luck with it! :drinker:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Dr Dukan got stripped of his right to practice medicine. Just sayin'.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t seem extreme? It is one of the most extreme diets out there. You cut out carbs AND fats.

There are a few problems with this – no matter what people will say on here, you do need carbs. More than just giving you easy energy you need them to produce Serotonin. If you are low on this neurotransmitter you will develop mental problems like depression and anxiety. You need both protein and carbs to make this neurotransmitter.
    So many people overlook this aspect when they go low carb.

Fats are healthy. You won’t manage to get enough fat soluble vitamins like A, D, E and K in your diet without fats and you will get into trouble as your hormones will go out of balance.

Not to talk about the fact that processing too much protein creates too many toxins as by-products of digesting protein, and the kidneys will struggle to clear it all. This will create a nitrogen imbalance in the body.

The point is to get good carbs and good fats and not too many of them.

There are other problems as well but I think the ones that I mentioned already are the most important ones and will deter any sane person that cares about himself.
    I have tried the Atkins, Dukan and others so am speaking of experience.

If you want more advice I am happy to help. I am not saying that I know it all, but I have lost 42 pounds and kept it off for years, studied nutrition and tried every diet out there.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options
    Besides, I thought you said you want to learn how to eat healthily? Dukan diet won’t teach you that at all. It won’t teach you how to make the right choices. Unfortunately it is just a fad diet.
  • smtwny716
    smtwny716 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100# on the Dukan diet. For me - it worked! When I went online to get my 'true weight" it said 155 and I said, "yeah sure - no way!" but tried anyway. Now I weigh between 117-120# and have been maintaining successfully for 3+ months. I now eat much more 'normally' but for me the changes have stuck after 18 months - there's no going back.

Pros - if you are committed, and don't cheat, AT ALL in the early going, you will lose weight quickly which is motivation to lose more of course. Its an all or none diet - you're either all in or your not. It is not weight watchers which I also have experience with. There are some foods you simply should not be eating no matter what anyone tells you (in my opinion). Dukan has things that are allowed and things that are not.

Cons - if you are addicted to carbs you will find it very challenging, as my husband and I did early on. A good friend of mine tried it after seing my success and was convinced she was dying becuase of early headaches and nausea. She stopped within 3 days - right about the time those symptoms subside. "Induction flu" they call it. Most of us are seriously addicted to sugar and you will have withdrawals. How badly do you want it?

If you need any help or have other questions - just message me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There are a few problems with this – no matter what people will say on here, you do need carbs.

There are no essential carbohydrates that you have to eat, that's a nutritional fact.

Dogs have blood sugar without eating carbs, and people are the same. So bodily functions using glucose are supplied with glucose made internally from other substrates, in the absence of dietary carbs.

The excess of protein in Dukan will provide plenty of gluconeogenesis.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options
    The excess of protein will produce harmful by products that the body needs to work extra hard to eliminate. It is laborious for the body to convert protein into blood sugar and it does so if it has to. Why not make it more efficient and have good carbs that have nutrients and are slow releasing?
    And I’ve noticed you’ve ignored the fact that the body needs carbs to produce Serotonin. You would cause a lot of damage with reduced amounts of Serotonin.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    There are a few problems with this – no matter what people will say on here, you do need carbs.

There are no essential carbohydrates that you have to eat, that's a nutritional fact.

Dogs have blood sugar without eating carbs, and people are the same. So bodily functions using glucose are supplied with glucose made internally from other substrates, in the absence of dietary carbs.

The excess of protein in Dukan will provide plenty of gluconeogenesis.

Absolutely. This is why, as a diabetic, I cannot eat too much protein as it can increase my blood sugar. When my bloodsugar spends too much time above the 120mg/dl mark, my weight loss stalls no matter how many calories I cut or the amount of exercise I do.

In order to lose & keep it up to get to a healthy weight for my 5' frame, I need to keep BG low & then, only then, with maintaining a deficit through caloric deficit & exercise am I able to lose weight.

The only issue I can see with Dukan to be fair is if you have a genetic predispostion to kidney dz or have kidney dz or high blood pressure. Then I might think twice about it, otherwise it sounds like a perfectly viable choice.

:blushing: Although not for 000WhiteRose0 :laugh: :flowerforyou:

ETA: about serotonin, I'm on my way out the door, but so far, what I've read, nothing says that the only source of this is in starchy complex carbs. I also don't know about Dukan, but I get all my carbs from veggies which amounts to less than 30 g per day. Not carb free, so not sure if Dukan advocates that...anyhow...research is a good thing!!!

OP: I hope you find something that works for you :smokin:
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options
    Do you not think that limiting veg and cutting out fruit is a recipe to disaster??
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I did not read other responses so if this has been stated I'm repeating the validity of it. You don't need to do some special diet. Eat at a calorie deficit and exercise. Eating at a deficit will make you lose weight, the type of exercise you do will determine how you look once the weight is off. I suggest heavy lifting. You will be surprised how much it does for you physically as well as emotionally. If you are using MFP's method, you should eat your burned calories back. If not, I suggest calculating your TDEE and eating 15-20% below that.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I did not read other responses so if this has been stated I'm repeating the validity of it. You don't need to do some special diet. Eat at a calorie deficit and exercise. Eating at a deficit will make you lose weight, the type of exercise you do will determine how you look once the weight is off. I suggest heavy lifting. You will be surprised how much it does for you physically as well as emotionally. If you are using MFP's method, you should eat your burned calories back. If not, I suggest calculating your TDEE and eating 15-20% below that.

You can lose at least 50lbs by May doing this! You will see a larger drop at first but it will slow down after a month or two!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    dunkin donuts has some great healthy options, but i don't know what you'd eat for dinner.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    dunkin donuts has some great healthy options, but i don't know what you'd eat for dinner.
    Breakfast foods for dinner, always a winner. Just make it a bacon donut.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    coworker did it. She lasted 3 weeks, lost 5 lbs. Gained it all back when she went back to her old habits. I tried to introduce her to MFP. She thinks it's stupid and too much of a hassle. She bounces from diet to diet. Dukan, paleo, jorge cruze something, anyways the thing is she doesn't understand it's a lifestyle change that will make it stick.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a calorie deficit. That way, you don't have to give up ANY foods, just eat in moderation! Oh, and exercise helps!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 Lbs in about 6-7 months by maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit. What's really awesome is that I actually learned how to fuel my body and how to give my body the nutrition it needs to be healthy and keep me at my best.

IMHO, you don't learn those things with fad diets...you go on the diet and then go off of it when you reach your goal...becuase you really haven't learned anything about properly fueling your body or truly healthy eating habits..and failure to adopt a sustainable fitness regimen results in that weight coming right back when you're done with the diet.

I'm sure it works to lose weight...but maintenance of said weight is generally a result of re-learning how to properly fuel your body, proper nutrition, and a sustainable fitness regimen.