Anyone lose 100+ pounds WITHOUT surgery?

Options

Replies

• brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've lost all of my weight without surgery. I couldn't give an exact start date but have lost 90 since January 1 by exercise, MFP, and a relatively clean vegetarian diet. Aside from the numbers on the scale, I move so much better and hurt so much less. I bought my bike (see icon) as a reward for losing 100 lbs and am set to compete in my first sprint triathlon next May. This upcoming weekend I'll be participating in a biking event and knocking out another 10 miles in the process. The key seems to be movement + monitoring nutrition. MFP has proven to be a huge part of my success thus far.

It is definitely doable without surgery
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just read all 20 pages of this thread, with goosebumps through most of it, and I have to say, this post wins the entire internet. Forever and ever.

You are all incredible, and so inspiring!!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I am so glad to have found this thread.
    I got serious about losing this 'extra person' riding my bones 10 weeks ago, and have lost 25 pounds so far.
    Your stories and pictures give me hope that I can get this done in just one year or 15 months.
    It's like being Dorothy, as Glinda told her, "You've had the power...all along!"
  • lisajuarez
    lisajuarez Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    379aa397-f936-40be-9a42-440350336721_zps6a014b9a.jpg
    Dec. 2011
    5badfe9c-30b4-4fa4-9726-89ff766c3e59_zpsc1634cae.jpg
    Dec. 2012
    a738fad5-6c13-4310-983b-590bc09b4f11_zpsdccd1898.jpg
    July 2013
    ae02221b-107d-4f83-a95d-83a1e0aab342_zps7e70d1f6.jpg
    Sept. 2013

I am living proof this is possible. I started mfp Jan. 2013 and am down 158lbs.
  • loveanddestroyx
    loveanddestroyx Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bump :heart:
  • miller0438
    miller0438 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Awesome job everyone
  • kac81607
    Options
    Bump. Everyone is such an inspriation. I don't need to loose 100 lbs but close too it, 98 so I am glad to see it can be done without surgeries.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Faye Anderson. I was delighted, in seeing that you eat 1800 a day. This, is excellent, and will give you just enough energy to exist, but not much else. A minimum of 2000 kcal intake is required, to have the energy to perform general activity, such as doing the washing up, for example. Should you want to walk to the shops, for instance you need about 260 kcal an hour, or 118 for half an hour. Taking the stairs, doing housework, chatting on the phone, etc. etc. Just as an example. We, all need energy, to live happy fulfilling lifes. Well done!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Faye Anderson. I was delighted, in seeing that you eat 1800 a day. This, is excellent, and will give you just enough energy to exist, but not much else. A minimum of 2000 kcal intake is required, to have the energy to perform general activity, such as doing the washing up, for example. Should you want to walk to the shops, for instance you need about 260 kcal an hour, or 118 for half an hour. Taking the stairs, doing housework, chatting on the phone, etc. etc. Just as an example. We, all need energy, to live happy fulfilling lifes. Well done!

Again, sorely mistaken. You do realize that her calorie goals are based on her own activity levels and body, correct? Not your imaginary criteria? And you do realize that this isn't TDEE, right? That her base goal doesn't include any exercise periods, but that those would be added separately? And that the goals are set at a deficit if appropriate to an individual's goals (read: losing weight, as opposed to gaining or maintaining)?

I appropriately eat well under 1800 calories per day (not counting any exercise calories earned), weigh over 300 pounds, and believe me - I do not go hungry. Ever. I have checked my goals against several other online calculators and am just fine. I am losing at a safe, effective rate and am not weak or ill in any way, with the exception of the excess weight I still carry. Too, you do realize that goals on MFP are customizable?

So again - for someone who is supposedly so hung up on "accurate information," you simply don't know what you're talking about. I am curious as to what you hope to accomplish by posting the things that you are. Are you a troll? Just really that ill-informed? Actively sabotaging others? I can't tell, but I'm here to tell you, I'm calling you on acting a fool.

We won't even talk about your idiotic post where you said that on 1200 calories per day someone would have difficulty surviving a cold or an upset stomach.

If you want to progress and learn, I suggest you start either asking questions and listening to answers, or reading and keeping your mouth shut for awhile altogether. Now I'm done with you.

To the OP and those enjoying this otherwise encouraging thread, I apologize. You all look fantastic and I hope to be in your shoes and have a similar story down the road! This is probably the meanest post you'll ever see from me, but I felt it had to be said. Now I'm off to eat dinner! :)
  • tdgre471
    Options
    Great Job! I am in a similar situation as yourself with my starting weight. How many calories were you eating when you started and how many now?

This would be a great help!!
  • goal_digger_2014
    Options
    bump
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Almost...so close..87 down!
  • kmwrestle
    kmwrestle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    145 down, 120 to go
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have to say, this post wins the entire internet. Forever and ever.

You are all incredible, and so inspiring!!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! As the OP, I didn't expect to hear many people say that it could be done, but JUST LOOK AT ALL OF YOU GO!!!!!!!!!! WHAT AN INSPIRATION!!!!!!
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 pounds thus far....I still have a long ways to go....It has almost been a year since I started and I am down 113lbs
  • samustard
    samustard Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've lost 125 lbs no surgery. All I've done is count my calories and worked out.

yesme.jpg

Most recent photo
    528031_400529650043154_360432607_n.jpg

You look like a similar body shape to mine in your before pictures. Can I ask you about if you've had issues with saggy skin? I'm a little concerned about it. Congratulations and you look AMAZING!!!
  • Mimmaw
    Options
    Since joining MFP i lost 90lbs, i lost about 20 before joining, this site and the app has helped me so much, i maintained my weight for 10 months before deciding to drop another 30lbs, all done through calories counting and walking..no surgery at all!..you can do it, pics are on my profile, goodluck!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    One person said, I've got 60 pounds to lose and it shouldn't be a problem. After all, I'm very good at losing 60 pounds. I've done it many times already.

My problem with losing without surgery was that I always gained it back. That said, I lost 40 pounds before my surgery. So does that count? The fact that my stomach is now permanently smaller (sleeve) will help me not gain it back.

My doctor made me lose 10% pre-op to (1) make room inside to operate; and (2) teach me how to eat successfully to keep it off. Surgery isn't a cure, it's just a tool that helps limit quantities. I make a conscious effort not to stretch it out.

If I had known what I know now before getting so big, I probably would have been able to lose weight without surgery. But the sleeve makes getting back down there so much easier.

BTW, have met a lot of people who were not happy with the lap-band. Many had it replaced by a sleeve.
  • Richardson62617
    Richardson62617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Amazing job you look awesome!!:)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Here is more recent...

5mfi4p.jpg

And this is my T25 results, the only surgery I've had is my c-sections and arm surgery, T25 is like poofing my pouch away.

6ep3zn.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!