Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome....

If 70 calories scare you....
    Then boil the egg, toss the yolk and enjoy ~20 calories of pure protein goodness (~6 gr)

Actually it would be 3g of protein, the yoke carries half.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome....

Then boil the egg, toss the yolk and enjoy ~20 calories of pure protein goodness (~6 gr)

You sure about that?

I always thought the egg had ~9 gr of protein. 3 in the yolk, 6 in the white.

edit::
    Ok, went and looked it up....you are right.
    I guess things have changed over the years....I could have sworn when I looked it up a while back that is how they broke it down.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome....

You sure about that?

I always thought the egg had ~9 gr of protein. 3 in the yolk, 6 in the white.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/113/2

The average large egg only has 6g of protein, 3g in whites, 3g in yoke.

But don't get me wrong, I love eggs and will eat one whole and one egg white to cut the calories...then mix the other yoke up in some dog food for my pups and get some omegas in their bodies.

ETA: The fats in the egg yokes help support the natural oils on a dog's skin, which in turn keeps their coats healthy and shiny.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome....
    ^ this

shockers for me were
    -fruit juice drinks
    -milk
    -sweet tea
    -anything with bread on/in it

The reason they were that way for is that they were easy for me to over-do the consumption of these things. Finding healthy variants and practicing moderation really helped.
  • MityMax96
    Options

shockers for me were
    -fruit juice drinks
    -milk
    -sweet tea
    -anything with bread on/in it

The reason they were that way for is that they were easy for me to over-do the consumption of these things. Finding healthy variants and practicing moderation really helped.

Lose the fruit juice, drink water.
    Do Skim milk....very beneficial, especially if you are weight lifting.....drink after you work out.
    If you have to have tea or coffee and sweeten it....you can use Stevia.....I drink just coffee, water, and milk my self.
  • Leighjr
    Leighjr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well I love Pepsi Max and that is low calorie but i then got a huge lecture from my carer about sugars etc in drinks, foods, favourings that make it bad.

Looking at it's label it has 1% trace sugar. I did see a site linked from here that said you can eat what you like and to worry more about carbs but there are High & Low carbs and you need to balance those. Get the balance right and you can have things you like.

Trim Down Club

It linked and ran a video when i very first used MFP online, I usually just used it on iphone until I destroyed it :-(

So if that carb advice is right i'm using that and balancing what i like and the things everyone else says I should have .. out the other ear ;-)
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Stay away from sodas if you can......will be tough initially but you will start getting used to water and then only want water in time.
  • Leighjr
    Leighjr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    uuggh water, my brother can chug that stuff easy, admitadly he knocks back 3 pints of it to counter the drinks that night (works for him too) I have trouble drinking 250ml of it.

I think of water as being in my coffee, i get alot of water.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Started today on this one but started last week on another counter...anyway i love this one...But back to the question..yes tim hortons extra large coffee 4x4 which is four creams and four sugars and sometimes i add more sugar which brought it up to a whopping 600 to760 calories..i have been drinking three to four of these a day for two years ..No wonder i gained weight....

So guess what is no longer on my menu..? lol

did you grow up and learn to actually enjoy the taste of coffee?

When I was a teenager and worked there I despised people like that, then complained that the coffee was cold, wanted to ask if they would prefer a milkshake.

Hahaha exactly. Maybe if they weren't drinking Tim Hortons coffee, it'd be easier to enjoy the taste of it without all that cream and sugar.

I used to drink my coffee two cream two sugar but I knew that was bad for me. I cut it back to one sugar two cream, then just two cream, now I just drink it with one cream. I can drink it black if I have to but I prefer a little creaminess.
  • Houmus scared me, for three weeks I've been starving eating celery and houmus at work before going home and having my usual meal and a half bottle of wine and I couldn't understand why I was gaining weight only, a friend out me onto this sight for me to realize the houmus has as much calories as 3 mars bars - whilst I'm well aware the mars bar is a lot less healthy I think I'd have been much happier eating those for three weeks!!!
    I'm now attempting 1 poached egg on dry brown toast for breakfast and a yoghurt for lunch allowing me to still eat the evening meal and wine, dieting at home and trying to cook three meals (1 for me, 1 for boyfriend and 1 for kids) just isn't happening!

Hummus is actually low in calorie. I have seen some as little as 35 calories a serving before. The highest calorie hummus I have seen was a packaged one and that was still only about 70 calories a serving. Sounds to me like you were eating 8 servings in one go (which would be about 270 calories). The average -SERVING- of hummus is only 2 tablespoons. This is like complaining that an entire pizza has 1200 calories when an actual serving is only 200.

Also, you can cook healthy things so you don't have to cook "three" meals. There are plenty of recipes for healthier kid friendly things, like Lightened Up Lasagna or Healthier Mac and Cheese, you just have to research and find things you think your family would like.

don't know about you but i wouldn't be able to stick to just 2 tablespoons of hommus! overall its healthy so it doesnt matter if its got lots of calories, its just chickpeas which is full of nutrients

I don't do Humus, but you have to look at them like nuts and anything else for that matter.

I love nuts, but they are caloricaly dense....so if you are not careful you have eaten 600+ calories.

So be careful with anything you eat....and starving yourself is not the way to go.

Well legumes are calorie dense anyway, simply because of how much nutrients they pack in just one bean or nut. People forget though, to look at the whole picture and immediately will toss something simply because of the calories. Eggs are a big one I see on this thread. Yes, it is 70 calories for a whole egg, but there is also 6g of protein, Omega-3, Omega-6, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Zinc, Magnesium. They are basically just calorie dense vitamin packs to me!

I was eating an entire pot of Tesco houmus each day with celery, celery without a huge dollop of houmus just doesn't taste nice... oh and the wine does add a good 300 calories but I like my wine a bit too much to give up. I was just gutted that the humous I thought was so good for me was putting me massively over calorie intake per portion
  • smithcarola
    smithcarola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think I'd have to go with butter. It's one of those things (like cheese) I knew wasn't good and should be cut out completely but when I was filling in my food diary, I realized that just 2 tablespoons of butter had more calories than 6 oz of chicken. I was floored...and suddenly regretted the dinner I had just finished preparing. Needless to say, I won't be using butter anymore.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I find it most beneficial to log reastaurant food and junk food most. when i see the calorie counts ..that is what stops me from ever eating it again. LIke a Jimmy John's sandwich from the right side of the menu is almost 1000 calories...and the #1 Pepe is 600. I go for the Pepe now with no mayo..and know I'm under that 600. It helps
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Orange juice. All the way! I was totally shocked. Even eggs I was shocked, jsut becuase I thought they were less calories. Cheese too.

I haven't checked eggs yet, is that another shocking one. I knew cheese was bad but I didn't actually realise HOW bad and cheese is one of my all time favourite foods. Really not looking forward to eating healthier and fewer calories.

This reminds me why having a scale is the utmost importance. My carton says 1 large egg is 77 calories, so you figure 2 would be 154 calories, in fact 2 eggs= 4oz which was actually 176 calories, and the more eggs you add the more extreme the number changes.
    All concentrated fruit juices have more sugar and calories then a can of soda. Its said that 1 glass of orange juice has 1 1/2 times the sugar of a can of cola.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at how much sugar is in my morning coffee! And my afternoon tea! I thought I was doing great giving up sodas, but I see there is still room for improvement!

The only sugar in coffee or tea is the sugar you add. Ground or instant coffee and tea leaves or tea bags have no calories and neither does the water you make it with. The calories come from the milk and sugar.
  • Artmouse
    Options
    True but given all the nutrients in it, it would have to be. Those tiny grains are packed full of good stuff. :)
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I bought a big bag (2 lbs) of green grapes yesterday and ate them all in an evening munch-a-thon...and it was 640 calories. :/
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Like a jar of nuts. Has anyone ever gotten a jar of nuts and counted out X amount of pieces?

I actually do this with almonds all the time! 27 almonds makes a great, filling snack for ~150 calories!

I put exactly 10 almonds in my protein shake.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I remember onions really shocked me when I first started. Most recently I was shocked by the fresh dates I ate and then counted afterwards ooops

But a whole cup of onions is only 64 calories!
  • proboho
    proboho Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Re. Re Quinoa ...yes but it taste like cr*p! I have tried with it and never succeeded, even tho I am a good cook!
  • ymvv2000
    Options
    I love Progresso's tomato basil soup. My comfort food. Wasn't so much shocked at the calories but more the sodium. UGH! I want to lost weight, but I want more to get off the four blood pressure medicines I take every morning.