Go to hell scale

Options
alblevins4
alblevins4 Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm feeling really discouraged tonight. I guess it happens to everybody. I went to the Dr. and weighed 4 pounds more than what my home scale was saying. Not a good feeling. This brought on my coming back to MFP. I have worked out almost every day and watched my calorie intake. After a week of this I weighed tonight on our new scale and I have gained a freaking pound!!! WTH! I really need some friends on here to inspire me.

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Get one scale and use just that one for weighing yourself. That is what I do.

Also keep in mind that a scale is just ONE form of measure and does NOT give the whole picture.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I gained 6 lbs overnight, 1lb fluctuates everyday. Take it easy on yourself.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Were you weighing at a different time of day? Wearing any clothes? Had you drunk or eaten anything? Gone to the bathroom? All these things will affect your scale weight. Plus sometimes different scales can be a bit off. Even if your scales at home are a bit off, it's a comparative thing. You haven't suddenly put on 4lbs.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Shoes will easily weigh 4lbs. Unless you weighed with the same clothes on you really can't compare.

But I do think the evil scale likes to play mind games if you let it:devil:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling really discouraged tonight. I guess it happens to everybody. I went to the Dr. and weighed 4 pounds more than what my home scale was saying. Not a good feeling. This brought on my coming back to MFP. I have worked out almost every day and watched my calorie intake. After a week of this I weighed tonight on our new scale and I have gained a freaking pound!!! WTH! I really need some friends on here to inspire me.

I agree, that darned scale is evil. I

My advice to you is to weight yourself only once a week on the same scale and the same time of day.

Remember, your weight will be different when you weight yourself at different times of the day, different scales, with our without clothes. There are so many factors that come into play.

In the end, the numbers don't count. How you feel and look trumps. :smile:
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be something along the lines of "on a scale of 1-10, should the person above you go to hell?"

Color me disappointed.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week my scales say I put on weight yesterday which is understandable as I had a lot to drink on saturday but I decided to weigh myself again today which I don't usually do and I have nearly lost all that alcohol weight but also do measurements as your body maybe losing it that way which I am
  • alblevins4
    Options
    We have been going out on our boat almost every weekend this summer and that has led to drinking which has led to my weight gain. I know I'm not huge by all means but I feel bad and I need to get back in shape. Thanks for all the comments especially the funny ones! Lol
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I can vary 6lbs in a day. Weighing at different times of the day is pointless. Once a week, same time, same day, after using the restroom.
  • Jim_1960
    Options
    The squirrels in the wood behind my house have mine since I threw them up a tree.
    Lying bas**** things that they are. My new friend is a tape measure.

Can I suggest you do the same? lol
  • NinjaMaid
    NinjaMaid Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about weight. Focus on health and wellness. Weighing in constantly is not as helpful as good diet and exercise maintence or decision making.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments about scales. They were invented by an evil scientist with torture leanings. However, one scale, one time of day, same amount of clothing is a great idea. I do notice this. I am in maintenance and my weight can fluctuate wildly (4-5 pounds in a day or two) based on three things...water...sodium...bathroom. All three have an impact that have little to do with BF %. Focus now is BF%, so I am more focused on the tape measure and mirror test than anything else!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I've lost maybe 3 lbs in the last 4 months, on the scale..
    I'm right now wearing a shirt that I didn't fit 2 months ago, and rings that I couldn't wear for the last 6 years.

The scale is a lying jerk.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I've lost maybe 3 lbs in the last 4 months, on the scale..
    I'm right now wearing a shirt that I didn't fit 2 months ago, and rings that I couldn't wear for the last 6 years.

The scale is a lying jerk.

Could be you lost fat and put on muscle....so a body re composition....
    Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. :wink:
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be something along the lines of "on a scale of 1-10, should the person above you go to hell?"

Color me disappointed.

:laugh:
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, the fact that you are watching what you eat and exercising means that you are fitter and healthier so surely this means more than a number on the scales!!!!

My scale shows a difference of 2lbs morning/evening so I just ignore it mostly lol

Take your measurements from all over and compare them once a month as this is a good indicator of where the weight is coming off from.

I don't care how long it takes me to lose the weight, after a health scare I'm more concerned about being fit and healthy :smile:

Tina x
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Say NO to the scale. I have lost measly 6 lbs this time around on MFP, but fit into clothes 2-3 sizes smaller... I have been working out, lifting, HIIT and building muscle. I refuse to let my relationship with gravity make me feel like all that is in vain. Take weekly photos, take measurements, but try to weigh in every month or every other month...to hell with that scale!
  • Awineburg
    Options
    Every scale is different to. My doc once told me that all the scales in her office were at least 2 lb different from each other :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you just got back to working out every day, and this is only 1 week, your body needs to adjust to the exercise. Your muscles will retain water for repair from the added exercise.

I can fluctuate 4lbs from weighing myself right after a heavy lifting session, to the next morning after I've flushed a lot of that water out.

Plus....If I've ready your OP right...it's only been a week.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I went through this last week. It is probably just water retention. Increase your water and re-weigh in a few days! Different scales are going to weigh you differently. If you weigh on your personal scale than don't worry about what a different scale says. Your weight fluctuates from day to day so don't get discouraged!! Measurements are a great way to really see your loss!!
This discussion has been closed.