Counting steps from my pedometer

Options
Does anyone know how to record the number of steps walked in a day in the exercise portion of this site??? I work a 12hr shift and I'm constantly on my feet and decided I would just wear a pedometer at work to record just how much I move so that it doesn't look like I have been sitting around all day on my exercise log. Thanks!

Replies

• TXGrl65
    TXGrl65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The pedometer I have (iPhone app) shows not only the steps, but the distance, time, speed, avg speed & calories burned. I don't think there is a way on this site to enter the steps, but there may be a site where you can enter the steps & it will tell you distance & calories burned so you can enter those manually on here. I've noticed that I have to put in my calories manually sometimes as they are not correct on this site.
  • NickiChase
    NickiChase Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just convert my steps to miles and then record 100 calories per mile as walking leisurely (even though chasing children isn't very leisurely!) You may have to walk a mile on a track or treadmill to know how many of your steps it takes. BUT be sure to count THAT mile on MFP!
  • alohajillian
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've been entering my steps as a note in the excercise portion. Anyone have an estimate on the average steps/mile? I know it would vary....just curious.
  • TXGrl65
    TXGrl65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just found this info so you could keep your pedometer going all day to see if this works.

In general, you will walk about 2000 steps per mile and your body will burn about 100 calories per hour. With these simple estimates, it's easy to calculate how many calories you burn when you walk.
  • amscobra
    Options
    the pedometer I have shows the steps and mileage, just put your mileage in and at what speed it shows and you should be all set.
  • jmmcclel
    jmmcclel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to record the number of steps walked in a day in the exercise portion of this site??? I work a 12hr shift and I'm constantly on my feet and decided I would just wear a pedometer at work to record just how much I move so that it doesn't look like I have been sitting around all day on my exercise log. Thanks!

Unfortunately this task can be a little daunting. If you can tell me the distance of your avg. step, I should be able to tell you your avg. steps per mile and based on that information you can manually enter in the amount of calories you've burned using this calculator.

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc3.htm

example:
    The avg person with a height of 5' 6" has a stride of ~2' 3", which means it would take her 2347 paces to walk a mile. Using this calculation by entering your bodyweight to do a background calculation of your RBR it will output your estimated calorie count. If your a person who weighs 135lbs and you walk an avg speed of 2.5mph and it takes you 2347 paces to complete a mile and your pedometer says 10000, you've walked ~4.26 miles, and burned ~314 calories.

Daunting... :) have fun!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Whats your activity level, it seems like it would be easier to just increase that rather than try to count it as exercise
  • daniellesite
    daniellesite Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think I will use your calculations as you certainly have the background to back it up! :smile:
  • daniellesite
    Options
    I work 12hr shifts and don't go to the gym on days I work. I work in a 420,000 sq ft hospital and walk at least over 50% of it continually on days that do I work. I would like to take credit for the 12hrs of walking because I get extra hungry on those days from all the moving around. So, that's why I asked about counting my steps. : )
  • daniellesite
    Options

Unfortunately this task can be a little daunting. If you can tell me the distance of your avg. step, I should be able to tell you your avg. steps per mile and based on that information you can manually enter in the amount of calories you've burned using this calculator.

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc3.htm

example:
    The avg person with a height of 5' 6" has a stride of ~2' 3", which means it would take her 2347 paces to walk a mile. Using this calculation by entering your bodyweight to do a background calculation of your RBR it will output your estimated calorie count. If your a person who weighs 135lbs and you walk an avg speed of 2.5mph and it takes you 2347 paces to complete a mile and your pedometer says 10000, you've walked ~4.26 miles, and burned ~314 calories.

Daunting... :) have fun!
  • daniellesite
    Options
    Just visited the site with your URL and it was great! Thanks! I can definitely use that. :happy: