Pizza help!

Options

Replies

• doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Mmm.pizza...its what was for dinner. Just enjoy pizza once in a while. No need to give up what you love or you'll end up resenting your diet and restrictions and give up. As long as you don't go overboard, there's nothing bad about pizza. And lets face it, bagel pizza and English muffin pizza will never replace the real stuff so why waste calories on something you might not even enjoy?
  • vonstigator
    Options
    :happy: I use a weight watcher man bread, as the base then low calorie sauce and cheese
  • ingenueorbust
    ingenueorbust Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Crust is the easiest thing to slim down without feeling like it's not pizza anymore. I use personal size crusts from HEB or Walmart (150 calories each), top with italian seasoned canned tomatoes (40 calories) or sauce, and then a serving of Italian style shredded cheese (80 calories). Still delicious. You can also use a pita pocket split open for a good thin crust. Only 90 calories for the entire thing.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!

Pocketmole ... beautiful photos! Are you a food blogger? If not, you should be!
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Eat Papa Murphy delite pizza
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I love Pizza Romana's blank pizza crusts. 300 calories for the entire crust, which is far far less than any other crust I've seen (even less that the thin flat breads I used to use before I found these). I'd guess they are 10 inch pizzas? The white plate that the asparagus one is on is about 12 inches in diameter. I get the crusts at Central Market in Texas, but Amazon sells them by the 6-pack as well: http://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Romana-Stretched-Par-baked-Imported/dp/B00C3NRT7Y

I actually made these two pizzas tonight. One with vegetarian chicken, asparagus (cooked in brown butter and garlic), and smoked gouda cheese - sliced into 8ths was 107 calories per slice. The second had a layer of vodka tomato sauce, white cheddar, feta cheese, kalamata olives, tomatos, oregano, and fresh basil - sliced into 8ths is was 90 calories per slice. I used 2 ounces of full fat quality cheese on each pizza.

I've made tons of others with lots of flavor combinations and honestly there is nothing "skinny" tasting about it. It's just awesome pizza that happens to be pretty low cal because I found a great crust and I weigh all of my ingredients. I definitely recommend the crusts :)

These look and sound delicious...filing this away for later. :)
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    Mmm.pizza...its what was for dinner. Just enjoy pizza once in a while. No need to give up what you love or you'll end up resenting your diet and restrictions and give up. As long as you don't go overboard, there's nothing bad about pizza. And lets face it, bagel pizza and English muffin pizza will never replace the real stuff so why waste calories on something you might not even enjoy?

I agree with you to a point....no need to give up regular pizza entirely, for sure. I have no intention of doing that, believe me! Lol

However, if you're limiting yourself to "once in a while," then I can't imagine any problem with finding other things that you "also" enjoy. It doesn't have to be the same to be good and if you like it and it fits your goals, it certainly isn't a waste.

We have had a blast experimenting with new recipes based on old favorites. The key is appreciating them for what they are and understanding that they won't be the same. The bonus is, these new loves can become the new staples and the old standbys can be the fantastic treats - and it's all good and it all helps us reach our goals.
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My basic recipe before adding veggies is so easy and the basic recipe (including cheese) is . These flat out flatbreads are great - the ones I got were 140 cals each: http://www.flatoutbread.com/ - I think they are the wraps not pizza crusts. Then I add 2 tbsp bottled pizza sauce (20 cals); 30grams low fat shredded cheese (80 cals); 1 tbsp of kraft parm - 25 cals - base recipe is 265 cals.

Then I just add veggies - generally spinach, portobello mushroons (cut in inch to 1.5 inch squares); tomatos. bake a 350 for about 10 min and then under the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese. The veggies are par cooked - I like pot mushrooms half cooked as they are meatier to me. The key for me to less chees is flavor. I sprinkle garlic powder and no cal italian blend spice over top. Also try to find a sharp or old cheese as you get more cheese from that.

For a non-red sauce variation, dump the sauce and shredded cheese, spread 2 cow cheese cheese triangles (70 cals) on the bottom, sprinkle with italian herb blend add veggies and parm. It is so rich, you feel like your blowing your diet. Base cals for this version are wrap - 140; cow cheese - 70; parm - 25 - 235 cals (without veggies).

If you like feta; swap that out (15 g crumbled) - 40 cals for the parm.

Hmmmm - I know what my supper is tonight!

I also make pizzas using the 90 calorie light Italian Flatouts. It makes a great thin, crispy crust. I usually make 2 for me. I top them each with a quarter cup of all-natural pizza sauce, chopped veggies (usually green peppers, tomatoes, and/or spinach), and feta cheese. My boyfriend likes shredded mozzarella on his, it all just depends on what you like. I pop them in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

For TWO Flatout pizzas with 1/4 cup of pizza sauce (20), 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper (8), and 1 oz of feta cheese each (60), the grand total calories are 370 calories! Delicious and filling!
  • callmenikita
    callmenikita Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So my one weakness is pizza...does anyone have any good healthy recipes for some homemade pizza?

YES! i am posting the recipe today when i get a chace, you can add me so you can see when i post it

mine is 167cal per slice and only 5.6grams of fat.
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    We did end up making those cauliflower and zucchini crusts. They were fantastic. Fantastic. Num!
  • callmenikita
    callmenikita Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    http://callmenikita.blogspot.com/2013/09/did-someone-say-pizza.html

The recipe with Pics that i was talking about! 165 cal/ 6g of fat per serving
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh I love, love pizza.
    Friday nights is my pizza and wine night, or even beer,
    I used to hate beer too, weird.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thinner crust, reduce fat (not fat free) cheeses, lots of veggies, lean meats instead of fatty sausage.
  • WilBSkinee
    WilBSkinee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sooooooooo my weaknes too! Bumping for later.......
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I love Pizza Romana's blank pizza crusts. 300 calories for the entire crust, which is far far less than any other crust I've seen (even less that the thin flat breads I used to use before I found these). I'd guess they are 10 inch pizzas? The white plate that the asparagus one is on is about 12 inches in diameter. I get the crusts at Central Market in Texas, but Amazon sells them by the 6-pack as well: http://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Romana-Stretched-Par-baked-Imported/dp/B00C3NRT7Y

I actually made these two pizzas tonight. One with vegetarian chicken, asparagus (cooked in brown butter and garlic), and smoked gouda cheese - sliced into 8ths was 107 calories per slice. The second had a layer of vodka tomato sauce, white cheddar, feta cheese, kalamata olives, tomatos, oregano, and fresh basil - sliced into 8ths is was 90 calories per slice. I used 2 ounces of full fat quality cheese on each pizza.

doublepizza1_sm.jpg

This one is a vegan pizza I made with arugula pesto, vegetarian italian sausage, and sliced tomato:

arugulapestopizza_sm.jpg

This one had thinly sliced patty pan squash, fontina cheese, veggie italian sausage, and purple basil:

pattypanpizza3_sm.jpg

I've made tons of others with lots of flavor combinations and honestly there is nothing "skinny" tasting about it. It's just awesome pizza that happens to be pretty low cal because I found a great crust and I weigh all of my ingredients. I definitely recommend the crusts :)

You are the bomb diggity! My hubby was just saying he wanted pizza tonight, and I was thinking of a low cal options. Thank you much and to everyone else as well.
  • Melissabechtold
    Options
    I have a tendency to agree with the pizza lovers in regards to not totally depriving yourself. Once a month just indulge in a slice or two. Just make sure that you don't over eat anything else for the day but maybe munch on some raw veggies or a protein shake. gotta love the real deal. I would however take the suggested recipes and incorporate it into my regular (low cal) meals. They all look so good, especially the idea about making crust out of cauliflower!!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I just save up calories for pizza. There is a Home run inn pizzaria near my work.
  • robertkeane100
    Options
    May I eat pizza if I am wait watcher?
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    When it all goes wrong, remember--don't panic.

910.gif
  • GinJon
    GinJon Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    bump for later